TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Comment about curious change in sunroof

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by David29, Nov 19, 2016.

1. David29

David29 Active Member

My 2015 Model S has a sunroof. I had been thinking for some time that I would like to get coat hooks. EVAnnex and one or two other companies offer coat hooks that attach to the rim of the headliner opening for the sunroof. But I was a bit intimidated by the statement on EVAnnex's site that cars made after May 2015 would require a slight modification to the headliner to accommodate the coat hook. Apparently cars made after May 2015 have what EVAnnex calls an "integrated light foam damper" around the edge of the sunroof opening in the headliner. My car is leased so I was a bit gun shy about modifications. So for a while I avoided ordering any hooks.

Then I saw some posts about hooks made by a Canadian outfit called "EV Hooks." They looked sturdier than the EVAnnex hooks and their site makes no mention of any concerns about the foam damper. So I ordered the EV Hooks product.

When I installed the hooks, I felt around the headliner opening and was surprised to find no foam insert. I thought I had felt it earlier when I first had the car, but it does not seem to be there now. And the EV Hooks installed without any problems, so far as I can tell.

I think what might have happened is that the foam insert might have been removed or modified by my Tesla service center. I had gone to them a few months ago with a complaint that the sunroof would no longer open to the 12% vent position. It would open to any other position just fine. So they worked on it and returned it to me after a short time. The technician said all they did was to "recalibrate" the sunroof. Since it fixed the problem, I thought no more about it until I installed the EV Hooks.

So -- has anyone else with a Model S built after May 2015 had a similar experience? Is Tesla removing the foam inserts?
    Obviously this is a minor item, but I am just curious!

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

I doubt they diddled with foam inserts, if you had them.

Pano does need to be calibrated just right to get the vent position. They probably just did that, all software .

3. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS"

My (2016 refresh) did not have any foam inserts that I could feel. The EVA hooks went on fine...