Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comments on disabled regen in the cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming ess_min_temp is the right field (for sleep record) and is in Celsius, the absolute minimum of all my sleep records is 0.96. I've had the car parked, unplugged, for 8 hours in -10C ... weird. 0.96 would indicate to me the ESS hasn't gone below freezing, so why was regen off?
From what I've seen in analyzing heat records, charging doesn't start until the ess_min_temp reaches 6*C.

In particular, for the day in question (12/6), the minimum for the entire day is 1.47. For the Drive1m records, I see a coolant_temp field, which was 0.5 when I started driving. Within 1 minute, it was 2.5. Regen didn't kick in (first 0x2c/Brake/RGbrk row) until 40 minutes later, with coolant_temp on the drive1m saying 6.5
Yes. I think the min temp for regen / charge is 6*C
The following day I started out with coolant at 1.5, regen kicked on 3 minute later at coolant at 6. And moving on to 12/8, start = 2.5, regen 18 minutes later at 6.5. Seems like 6 is the magic number... Do I have all this right? First time I've ever looked at logs and I'm just making educated guesses on the data I see here ...
Yes. 6*C What I think is more telling would be to plot the sleep temperatures across the 8 hour period when the outside temp was -10*C. This would give us some idea of how the battery mass responds to cold temp.

Last edited:
I think that the coolant heater is a completely different heater to the cabin.

Yes it is. From what I can tell from the log heat and charge1m records, the heater in the ESS runs off of the battery directly. This makes sense because drawing current from the battery, heats the battery too.

I parsed a log from one owner during a pre-charge heating session. The current draws are as follows, I_ESS =-0.88A @ 400V, I_line = 0.2A @ 240V. So the total power used is 352W + 48W. My guess is that the ESS heater is about 300W and the power drawn from the line would increase with a battery that is more depleted.

Yes it is. From what I can tell from the log heat and charge1m records, the heater in the ESS runs off of the battery directly. This makes sense because drawing current from the battery, heats the battery too.

I parsed a log from one owner during a pre-charge heating session. The current draws are as follows, I_ESS =-0.88A @ 400V, I_line = 0.2A @ 240V. So the total power used is 352W + 48W. My guess is that the ESS heater is about 300W and the power drawn from the line would increase with a battery that is more depleted.

I just plugged in; regen was off (it's -9C outside), charge is scheduled for 3 hours from now. Battery pre-heat began, and it's drawing 8-9A at 240V (~2000W) according to the VDS.

Yes. 6*C What I think is more telling would be to plot the sleep temperatures across the 8 hour period when the outside temp was -10*C. This would give us some idea of how the battery mass responds to cold temp.
I can definitely do that. There are two ESS temps in the sleep log -- min & max. and they vary between each other quite a bit. I can plot them both (there'll only be 8-10 points).

I have my car in storage mode at the moment, as the weather is expected to be crappy for a while and I don't have snow tires.

I happened to open the driver's door today to look at something, and the touch screen went BEEP-BEEP and flashed up a message that I didn't have time to read.

After that I heard the contactors turn on, and the battery pack started preheating. Now that's odd, since it's in storage mode, and the car is obviously NOT going to charge this evening because it's over 85%. At least, it shouldn't. I won't know until 1 am when the charge is scheduled to start.

The touch screen showed "Preparing to Charge" and 7-8 amps 240 volts. Clearly it was preheating the battery.

Last I checked it the charge lights were blue, and the circulation pump was running, and it's still showing "Preparing to charge", but the current is now at 0 amps. I assume the battery has warmed enough.

Obviously a firmware glitch of some kind. Not a big deal if all it did is waste 6 cents of electricity. But I'll have to see what it does at 1 am.

About -6C when I left work today. Battery showed in yellow in the VDS (first time I've seen this)

IMG_0468-1.JPG

Based on the logs I just pulled, the ESS was below 0 -- also the first time it's been below zero. The coolant was -4C. 7 minutes later, the yellow disappeared (ESS min temp was 0.5C)

Doug,
I also have mine in storage mode (almost full standard charge on it). When I opened the door, the message that flashed up says something like " When in storage mode, plug in the vehicle". When the car is asleep and you open the door, the communciations between the charge port and the PEM probably hasn't registered before the message comes up. Anyway, the message disappears quickly and the car does its communications giving the blue light. A few minutes later it goes back to sleep. I don't recall mine doing the "Preparing to charge" message, but since it was way over 50%, it did not initiate a charge...just the blue light for a few minutes then sleep.

Plot of my ESS temps over the past 36 hours.
The spikes in temps are while the car is sitting, plugged in, and maintaining ESS temps (wow!).
The flatter lines are while I'm driving.

View attachment 1346

Those "spikes" look pretty normal to me. Thermostats typically work as a "bag-bang" controller with hysteresis. When the temperature drops to a certain point, the heat swiches on. The temperature increases and then the heater is switched off again. That cycle produces a sawtooth appearance to the temperature profile.

-26C Weather

in this post I talk about the performance of my Roadster in severe cold.

One of the things I discovered is that my car seems to consume a lot more power than normal when regen is disabled due to cold. The total loss of range seems to be about 10 km. Once the car warms up consumption returns to normal.

Those "spikes" look pretty normal to me. Thermostats typically work as a "bag-bang" controller with hysteresis. When the temperature drops to a certain point, the heat swiches on. The temperature increases and then the heater is switched off again. That cycle produces a sawtooth appearance to the temperature profile.

Yup! My wow is how often it's heated. It's 2kw of power while heating.
I'll calculate how much power is used to keep it warm later.

Drive in to work. Had just unplugged, air temp -1F/-18C.
20110124MorningDrive.jpg

Car sitting at work, unplugged. Daytime high 10F/-12C.
20110124SittingAtWork.jpg

Drive home from work, air temp 4F/-16C.
20110124EveningDrive.jpg

Never got warm enough on the way home for regen to enable.

Last edited:
Bah, my VMS problem & reboot killed all heat logs from last night. I'll check again tonight, assuming it doesn't freak out again. Another cold night tonight (it's already 0F/-18C).

So the night of the 24th into the 25th was pretty cold (0F at 9PM). The car was plugged in from 7:26pm to 9:24am (14 hours). It consumed 6.6KWh of power heating the battery. At my local 15 cents per KWh (includes power generation and distribution charges, which are separate rates on my bill), that's $1.

The VDS says I charged for 1:46 at 9:57pm consuming 15KWh. According to the logs, my charging started at 8:11 (after the heating cycle, from 7:26 to 8:11) and ran until 9:57 consuming 16.8 KWh (as measured by line (wall) current and line voltage, NOT ESS current and ESS voltage). So the VDS appears to be displaying KWh into the ESS and doesn't speak to power used by heating at all. Keeping the battery heated for 14 hours was 40% of the energy used to charge it for 2 hours.

Edit: FYI, the battery heater ran for a total of 3.3 hours (consuming 2KW) during the course of that 14 hours.

Last edited:
I detect a firmware feature request: option have the battery NOT heat until after the charge is completed. That way you can dial it in to charge in the wee hours, and have a nice toasty and freshly charged battery when you head out in the morning.

This doesn't make any sense, they only reason the battery is heated is to safely charge it. The battery must be above 32F to charge.