Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX will use this "bouncy castle" for Dragon recovery. How is not known.
What the heck... :confused:

It's highly unlikely that the capsule is supposed to land on the thing.
I wouldn’t rule that out. What other purpose could that thing serve?

Does the Crew Dragon have enough steering capability to hit a target that small?

Reactions: Grendal
Without independent maneuverability there's no chance anytime soon of Dragon landing on that giant floaty. It's also pretty obvious that NASA would never permit a tug to tow it around the landing zone. A few months ago I recall the plan was for Dragon to splashdown, then be greeted by techs in inflatables. A ship would soon pull up alongside Dragon to hoist it onto the deck. The crew would then egress and eventually fly to shore via helicopter. In any case, it'll be interesting to see how this thing eventually gets implemented.

Any captions for what the three guys on the tug are saying? The one fella in the white hat using binoculars didn't look too thrilled to be spotted by the drone.

Reactions: thenaimis
Couldn't Dragon use it's engines to steer while being supported by the parachute? For that matter, couldn't they use the retro engines to slow down at a low altitude, then pop the chutes and continue to steer with the engines to minimize unexpected drift? If the engines fail the parachute would still work, if the parachute didn't work, the engines could get it down to the water.

I was under the impression that NASA didn't like the legs and lack of landing system backup, not particularly the use of engine braking.

Reactions: Grendal
If only NASA had agreed to let SpaceX do retropropulsive landings with the Crew Dragon. Aren’t we approaching 20 in a row successful stage landings? It baffles me as to why NASA thinks they are too risky.

Once SpaceX decided that they weren't going to use Dragon for Mars then it would have been a waste of money to do all the testing necessary to get a retropropulsive landing approved for Dragon. It's still a great concept but once you decide to go much bigger with BFR/BFS then wasting time, effort, and money on something used very specifically and with no real benefit to the long term goal delays the overall goal.

We're on 24 successful landings in a row or 22 if you drop the experimental Falcon Heavy landings which did lose one of the three. I believe it is fair to say that SpaceX will be successful in any F9 landing it tries for. I fully expect the next FH landing to be successful with all three boosters in the future.

Couldn't Dragon use it's engines to steer while being supported by the parachute? For that matter, couldn't they use the retro engines to slow down at a low altitude, then pop the chutes and continue to steer with the engines to minimize unexpected drift? If the engines fail the parachute would still work, if the parachute didn't work, the engines could get it down to the water.

I was under the impression that NASA didn't like the legs and lack of landing system backup, not particularly the use of engine braking.

Actually, it wasn't the legs at all except in a very minor consideration. It had more to do with SpaceX unwilling to spend the money and time on all the testing that would be necessary to get approval for something NASA wasn't really interested in using anyway. As I mentioned to ecarfan, once SpaceX decided that landing Dragon propulsively wasn't something they were interested in anymore too, then dropping it was a given.

I'm not sure what the bouncy castle is going to be used for. No one on SpaceX Facebook has much of an idea either. SpaceX is having enough trouble catching the fairings and they have parachutes that steer. So there is no chance that SpaceX is going to be catching the Dragon on the raft with parachutes that have no steering capability. It will be interesting to find out what it is for.

Article on the "Bouncy Castle" from Teslarati:
SpaceX gears up for Crew Dragon's first recovery with a giant inflatable cushion

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and thenaimis
SpaceX is installing the Crew Access Arm at LC-39A today:
SpaceX readies for installation of LC-39A Crew Access Arm, previews Crew Dragon – NASASpaceFlight.com
2018-08-20-151700-1170x703.jpg

Photo credit to NSF member @Cygnusx112

Reactions: Mike1080i
Reactions: Solarguy and e-FTW
And this has the potential to be a major event:
Gerst: There is potentially a contract change for SpaceX to make DM-2 an operational crew rotation mission.
Michael Baylor on Twitter

Edit: I'm going to guess that this will happen because of Starliner delays. Basically it means the demo mission becomes a real mission. This is similar to what happened a long time ago with CRS. The demo mission became an official mission dropping off a full load of supplies. In this case the crew will occupy the station for a full rotation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Troy916 and Nikxice