Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that the first view from above is rotated 90deg from the others, so the suggestion that that some tanks come in later isn’t necessarily true. I also can’t imagine that SpaceX would design and build their propulsion element as an incomplete module—far more likely it is assembled, welded, and tested as a complete subassembly.

Last edited:
I may have mixed the order of images, but is clear from the text; the first image is a side view with gray (assumed) helium bottle, next two are front view e.g. hatch and parachute compartment side. Those are just CAD images with some parts removed for better viewing; no one is saying anything for actual installation order. Last image is showing COPVs with red cover jackets, which are (if agree with assumption) the propellants tanks. In video the fireball seems to start there.
95amjwmfnmt21.png

The usual well reasoned reporting we expect from Eric Berger at Ars Technica Here’s what we know, and what we don’t, about the Crew Dragon accident

Thanks, good article, though I disagree with
Thankfully no. The last time we saw this dramatic of a ground-based spacecraft failure was during the Apollo 1 fire in 1967, which cost three human lives.
I'd say the conflagration of the F9 a while back was much more dramatic than this test anomaly.

Reactions: scaesare
I'd say the conflagration of the F9 a while back was much more dramatic than this test anomaly
Over the past 60 years, dozens of rockets have blown up on the pad or in the first few seconds of flight.

I believe that Eric Berger is referencing the Apollo 1 fire because that was a crew capsule accident that occurred when the vehicle was on the ground and three lives were lost.

The Crew Dragon failure also occurred on the ground; fortunately no one was injured.

I may have mixed the order of images, but is clear from the text; the first image is a side view with gray (assumed) helium bottle, next two are front view e.g. hatch and parachute compartment side. Those are just CAD images with some parts removed for better viewing; no one is saying anything for actual installation order. Last image is showing COPVs with red cover jackets, which are (if agree with assumption) the propellants tanks. In video the fireball seems to start there.
View attachment 399497

My comment was really directed at the NSF poster (unless that’s you), in an effort to clarify what is almost assuredly a misinterpretation of configuration. (Admittedly, it’s a pretty insignificant one all things considered, but still worth checking)

In any case, it’s extremely likely the screenshot of the prop module (the first image) is full-up, with what is most likely 10 tanks...we just can’t see all of them because of the angle of the screenshot. In that configuration there would be four tanks for fuel, four for ox, and one pressurant tank for each propellant. The purple tanks are indeed the propellant tanks (which are the ones with the red RBF covers in the picture) and the grey are the helium tanks. Given the not exactly 1:1 burn ratio and specific gravity of the propellants (and the general Cg needs of the spacecraft), I’d guess that the tank usage is distributed more symmetrically around the spacecraft...so, two of each propellant on either side as opposed to four mmh on one side and four n2h4 on the other. In context of this anomaly, associated plumbing would make it really hard to asses whether the ignition point was fuel or ox related.

Note that rupture of a tank as the root issue is an extreme improbability. Tanks and their service feeders are pretty rock solid and well tested upstream. Given that the whole system would have been tested thoroughly without propellant (run the tanks up to max operating pressure, leak check everything, activate valves and verify flow, etc) I would speculate that the root cause is related more to the specific test than any particular workmanship type issue.

Lastly, I honestly don’t know what kind of tanks they actually use, but it would be surprising to me if SpaceX opted for wrapped propellant tanks (COPV). The flight propellant pressures are quite manageable—in the hundreds of psi (call it 400), which is very within the capacity of a non-wrapped Ti tank. Helium maximum pressure OTOH is many thousands (like, 6000), which is where they’re using wrapped pressurant tanks. For decades Ti prop tanks and wrapped helium tanks have been the solution for mmh and n2o4 systems, so it would be hard for me to imagine how SpaceX would opt for a more complex, more expensive, and seemingly low additional value solution of going wrapped tanks for everything.

...a misinterpretation of configuration...
You're both saying the same thing. 10 tanks, side tanks are He and rest are for propellants. I don't know what you find misleading there.

Here is the attached image showing missing tanks, mark with helpful red circles and dotted lines, tell me what tenth dimension you need to rotate CAD model to get those "out of view"?
d2-04_mt.jpg

...in the hundreds of psi (call it 400)...
I call BS. SuperDraco chamber pressure at 100% throttle is 6,900 kilopascals (1,000 psi) so propellants tanks needs to take the same and bit more. Maybe they are full Ti tanks like it is with Cargo Dragon, but regular Dracos operate lot lower pressures, so we don't know.

Dragon was destroyed just before the firing of its SuperDraco thrusters

Quote: “In the company's most expansive comments to date, Koenigsmann said the "anomaly" occurred during a series of tests with the spacecraft, approximately one-half second before the firing of the SuperDraco thrusters. At that point, he said, "There was an anomaly and the vehicle was destroyed."

Reactions: Grendal
More. There was a post interview question that Hans answered:
SpaceX offers new details on Crew Dragon test anomaly - SpaceNews.com

He later said it was unlikely that the incident had anything to do with composite-overwrapped pressure vessels, or COPVs, that are part of the propulsion system. The design of a COPV used on the Falcon 9’s second stage was blamed for an explosion during preparations for a static-fire test of the rocket in September 2016, leading to a redesign of that pressure vessel.

“The COPVs are different from Falcon 9. These are different in material, they have a different form,” he said. “I’m fairly confident that the COPVs are going to be fine.”

No surprise that it didn't take long for the anti-SpaceX expert to jump in. "We'll check that out." That offering from notable Senate rocket scientist Richard Shelby to Jim Bridenstine on HIS investigation into the investigation of the Dragon 2 anomaly. As noted in this Twitter thread, Shelby's voice has been absent concerning the leaky abort system on Boeing's Starliner.
Emre Kelly on Twitter

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and mongo
No surprise that it didn't take long for the anti-SpaceX expert to jump in. "We'll check that out." That offering from notable Senate rocket scientist Richard Shelby to Jim Bridenstine on HIS investigation into the investigation of the Dragon 2 anomaly. As noted in this Twitter thread, Shelby's voice has been absent concerning the leaky abort system on Boeing's Starliner.
Emre Kelly on Twitter
SpaceX failure on SpaceX hardware during SpaceX's test to reuse SpaceX capsule for a future SpaceX test that Boeing isn't even going to perform. Yeah, that calls for an independent investigation committee/ blue ribbon panel...
/s

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
Here's hoping it had to do with the salt water landing.
Yes. My thoughts from the beginning: that this could be linked to it being a flight-proven Crew Dragon, and as such that this would not delay the program for too long. If the cause is found to be directly linked to the salt bath, this increases the chance that NASA will let it fly with crew soon.
But writing this out, I realize the odds are not necessarily good.

Reactions: Grendal
Yes. My thoughts from the beginning: that this could be linked to it being a flight-proven Crew Dragon, and as such that this would not delay the program for too long. If the cause is found to be directly linked to the salt bath, this increases the chance that NASA will let it fly with crew soon.
But writing this out, I realize the odds are not necessarily good.
Might not be a result of the salt. Could be related to:

- Zero G for several days
- Vacuum for several days
- Reentry heating
- Splashdown G-forces

Fingers crossed it's something simple that's been overlooked, like a seal that wouldn't be expected to survive vaccum, or insufficient clearence between parts, causing them to rub together during launch/reentry/splashdown and weakening them.