Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so frigging annoying. The summary says:

The higher costs for CRS-2 are primarily driven by increased prices from SpaceX, the impact of selecting three contractors, and the $700 million in integration costs awarded to date.

Whereas deep in the report, it says:

We reviewed the CRS-1 contracts and determined NASA has awarded 31 missions and contract modifications worth $5.93 billion, or an average cost of $191.3 million per mission. Of these missions, SpaceX is scheduled to complete 20 with a total payment of $3.04 billion, or an average cost of $152.1 million per mission. Orbital ATK is scheduled to complete 11 missions with a total payment of $2.89 billion, or an average cost of $262.6 million per mission.

So NASA saved $110M per launch with SpaceX in CRS-1, yet the IG highlighted that SpaceX is charging more for CRS-2? And that's not even mentioning that before these competitive non-cost plus contracts were handed out, NASA was paying substantially more for launches.

Later in the report, it says SpaceX is charging 50% more for CRS-2 as compared to CRS-1, and ATK, 15% less, so let's do the math:

SpaceX CRS-2: $228M
ATK CRS-2: $222M

In other words, virtually the same. I just found it very annoying that if you skimmed the report, you'd believe that SpaceX is overcharging NASA.

BTW, the report is very interesting, has lots of cool diagrams, and is very informative. Recommended reading if you want to learn more about this program and the three rocket companies (SpaceX, ATK, and Sierra Nevada).

Reactions: Grendal
This is so frigging annoying. The summary says:

Whereas deep in the report, it says:

So NASA saved $110M per launch with SpaceX in CRS-1, yet the IG highlighted that SpaceX is charging more for CRS-2? And that's not even mentioning that before these competitive non-cost plus contracts were handed out, NASA was paying substantially more for launches.

Later in the report, it says SpaceX is charging 50% more for CRS-2 as compared to CRS-1, and ATK, 15% less, so let's do the math:

SpaceX CRS-2: $228M
ATK CRS-2: $222M

In other words, virtually the same. I just found it very annoying that if you skimmed the report, you'd believe that SpaceX is overcharging NASA.

BTW, the report is very interesting, has lots of cool diagrams, and is very informative. Recommended reading if you want to learn more about this program and the three rocket companies (SpaceX, ATK, and Sierra Nevada).

The numbers make more sense if you look at cost per kg instead of cost per mission.SpaceX is the lightest hauler in terms of pressurized (2,500kg), and less in terms of total (~3,300) whereas ATK can do ~3,700 pressurized.

The numbers make more sense if you look at cost per kg instead of cost per mission.SpaceX is the lightest hauler in terms of pressurized (2,500kg), and less in terms of total (~3,300) whereas ATK can do ~3,700 pressurized.
SpaceX also provides Down-Mass, so that probably makes up for the lower Up-Mass. Especially considering nobody else is providing cargo return capability.

Reactions: e-FTW and mongo
It all makes perfect sense when you understand that the extra work needed for confirming everything with NASA and various approval groups hired by NASA. That's not to say that the extra paperwork hasn't led to a much better Falcon 9 and Dragon 2. The other, less noticeable, comment in the report is that costs will drop with SpaceX if reused boosters are approved and used. The contract specifically states that the prices are based on only new boosters but NASA will evaluate whether previously flown Block 5 boosters would be okay for use. NASA did that with Block 4 and Block 5s are even better designed for reuse than B4. So I expect that SpaceX cranked up the price on new boosters to subtly push NASA into using more reused boosters. There is no official word but I expect a Block 5 booster, with its upgraded improvements, costs more than Block 3 or Block 4 ever did. There's no doubt a Dragon 2 is more expensive than a Dragon 1 even if it is only a cargo version.

Reactions: e-FTW
Such a shame that they won’t be used for retropropulsive landings.
I know! I guess these guys are the only ones to ever do that:
762738c198263a11328a9f7acdcdbe5d.jpg

/OT

• Funny
Reactions: Joerg and Grendal