Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I just learn that a specific shuttle had Special Stuff in it just for taking care of the HST? If so, whatever all that entailed cannot - if I understand you - be incorporated into, for example, a Crew Dragon?
One of my classmates was a crew member on at least one of the HST repair flights. I'll have to try to connect with him at a reunion to learn more.
Shuttle had the arm to grab satellites and also for astronauts to use as a platform to work from.

Did I just learn that a specific shuttle had Special Stuff in it just for taking care of the HST? If so, whatever all that entailed cannot - if I understand you - be incorporated into, for example, a Crew Dragon?
I'm just not sure how servicing mission by another crewed vehicle would work. For example, shuttle servicing missions flew with the Flight Support System (the work platform), that also provided power and some data between the two. I'm not sure how something that takes the place of that would work with a Crew Dragon. There was a lot of discussion of a robotic servicing mission after Columbia's demise in 2003 and SM4 was cancelled. So there was thinking that at least some repair tasks could be handled without a shuttle and it's EVA crew.
One of my classmates was a crew member on at least one of the HST repair flights. I'll have to try to connect with him at a reunion to learn more.
That would be interesting to know. I'm just an armchair enthusiast level type that probably spent way too much time watching NASA TV in the shuttle days. :)
Heck, even if all it's science instruments fail, if HST can maintain attitude, maybe a cargo version of Starship would be able to bring HST back home intact.

Reactions: Bobfitz1
Russia’s passive-aggressive reaction to SpaceX may mask a deeper truth

Some interesting commentary from “Vadim Lukashevich, a Russian-based space expert. He was fired from an aerospace think tank at Skolkovo in 2015 after writing articles opposing the transformation of Roscosmos from a government agency into a state corporation. On Monday, he gave an interview to Russian television station Moscow 24, which was published on YouTube and translated for Ars by Robinson Mitchell.”

Quotes from Lukashevich (pointing out what we all already know): “With this launch... this private company SpaceX has made Roscosmos null and void...if we compare the ships on a technological level, our Soyuz is in principle unable to compete with the SpaceX’s Crew Dragon...Elon Musk has built the ship of the future. It’s a seven-place spacecraft. It is re-usable. It is new technology. Accordingly, it beats Soyuz according to every parameter, by every technological indicator...”

And the most telling: “...we [Russia] were carrying astronauts, we were getting basically for free $400 million a year at about $90 million per seat for each foreign astronaut. That is more than the entire cost of the rocket and the ship and launch operations taken together. This means as long as we had at least one foreign astronaut on board, we were launching for free. For us this wasn’t just a freebie—it was a narcotic. It allowed us to do absolutely nothing and still earn money. And now, this narcotic is going to be cut off, and we will be forced to do something. Either we will pass into history along with all of our space achievements, like Portugal, with its discovery of America and the voyages of Magellan and so forth, or we will have to seriously do something.’

While Lukashevich acts like Russia has a choice, in fact it does not. Russia simply does not have the money to develop a new, reusable spacecraft and rocket. Putin continues to promise Russians a better standard of living, and constantly hypes a range of incredible new military weapons that are likely mostly just very expensive fantasies. The Russian economy is built on oil and gas sales which is an unsustainable foundation, and they don’t seem to be able to diversify. Russia doesn’t manufacture anything of significance that the rest of the world wants to buy.

The Russian space program is like a zombie, shuffling along looking for customers, but the customers aren’t there.

Russia’s passive-aggressive reaction to SpaceX may mask a deeper truth

Some interesting commentary from “Vadim Lukashevich, a Russian-based space expert. He was fired from an aerospace think tank at Skolkovo in 2015 after writing articles opposing the transformation of Roscosmos from a government agency into a state corporation. On Monday, he gave an interview to Russian television station Moscow 24, which was published on YouTube and translated for Ars by Robinson Mitchell.”

Quotes from Lukashevich (pointing out what we all already know): “With this launch... this private company SpaceX has made Roscosmos null and void...if we compare the ships on a technological level, our Soyuz is in principle unable to compete with the SpaceX’s Crew Dragon...Elon Musk has built the ship of the future. It’s a seven-place spacecraft. It is re-usable. It is new technology. Accordingly, it beats Soyuz according to every parameter, by every technological indicator...”

And the most telling: “...we [Russia] were carrying astronauts, we were getting basically for free $400 million a year at about $90 million per seat for each foreign astronaut. That is more than the entire cost of the rocket and the ship and launch operations taken together. This means as long as we had at least one foreign astronaut on board, we were launching for free. For us this wasn’t just a freebie—it was a narcotic. It allowed us to do absolutely nothing and still earn money. And now, this narcotic is going to be cut off, and we will be forced to do something. Either we will pass into history along with all of our space achievements, like Portugal, with its discovery of America and the voyages of Magellan and so forth, or we will have to seriously do something.’

While Lukashevich acts like Russia has a choice, in fact it does not. Russia simply does not have the money to develop a new, reusable spacecraft and rocket. Putin continues to promise Russians a better standard of living, and constantly hypes a range of incredible new military weapons that are likely mostly just very expensive fantasies. The Russian economy is built on oil and gas sales which is an unsustainable foundation, and they don’t seem to be able to diversify. Russia doesn’t manufacture anything of significance that the rest of the world wants to buy.

The Russian space program is like a zombie, shuffling along looking for customers, but the customers aren’t there.

I'm sad to say that his description of Roscosmos is virtually identical to what is happening with SLS and, to a lesser extent, ULA. SLS isn't even launching (which is much worse than Roscosmos) and ULA is seeing the problem and doing their best to move past it while clinging to the older technology.

I'm sad to say that his description of Roscosmos is virtually identical to what is happening with SLS and, to a lesser extent, ULA.
Fortunately, in America, we have SpaceX and Blue Origin. Russia has no private space companies.

China has become the #2 global space powerhouse, and even has a privately run rocket company. Russia is history...

Reactions: Grendal
A little more on Roscosmos which ties it up neatly:
Russian Rocket Program Sputters in New Race to Space, Bloomberg

"Russia's market share for rocket technology worldwide fell slightly in 2017, which Roscosmos blamed on sanctions, the weak ruble and increased competition, according to its annual report published on Friday. It singled out SpaceX for allegedly undercutting the market thanks to U.S. government assistance. ... The windfall funding from the U.S. hasn't always been spent wisely. Alexei Kudrin, the head of the country's Audit Chamber, told Russia's lower house of parliament in June that he found 760 billion rubles ($11.4 billion) of financial violations in Roscosmos's books. "Several billion have been spent, basically stolen, that we are currently investigating," Kudrin said in an interview aired Nov. 25 on state-run Rossiya 24 TV. "Roscosmos is the champion in terms of the scale of such violations."

- Man Driving Diamond-encrusted Mercedes Caught Embezzling Cosmodrome Funds, earlier post

"I just love all the pictures of the car this article contains. This guy was embezzling money from Putin and yet he thought it was fine to be driving around in a "diamond-encrusted Mercedes". It would seem like he was either asking to be caught - or .... that cosmodrome construction workers commonly drive around in diamond-encrusted Mercedes."

Source: Roscosmos Blames SpaceX For Being Successful (Update) - NASA Watch — NASA Watch

• Funny
Reactions: ecarfan
Boeing is going to fly. They are already contracted to do so. These delays will cost them for sure, but they have a few years of flights lined up. Just like SpaceX.
I tend to agree they will fly. But it's certainly not set in stone.

Given sufficient delays, NASA would cancel their contract. Though it seems unlikely there will be sufficient delays, given the progress thus far.

Reactions: e-FTW
On the SpaceX end of things, delays are expected before Demo-2: Almost Ready: SpaceX has work to do before Dragon is ready to carry crew - SpaceNews.com — SpaceNews

One part of this is that Demo-2 will have full life support systems and full user interface electronics. Those are changes they need to make, integrate, test, sign-off on, etc.
Another one I was not aware of reveals plenty of interesting details:
One such issue is with the Draco thrusters on Crew Dragon. During thermal vacuum testing of the spacecraft, engineers found that, in some circumstances, temperatures could get low enough to freeze propellant lines. “For the full environment that we were expecting this mission to be operating within, the Dracos didn’t like that environment. They weren’t operating that well in that environment,” Lueders said.

The fix for Demo-1 was to constrain the mission design to make it unlikely the spacecraft could get cold enough for long enough for the lines to freeze. That required launching only on days when Crew Dragon could get to the station within a day of the launch. Had the March 2 launch been scrubbed for weather or technical reasons, the next launch window wasn’t until March 5. The permanent solution, to be implemented on Demo-2 and later Crew Dragon spacecraft, will be to install heaters on the propellant lines.

More fixes may be needed to Crew Dragon depending on the analysis of data collected during the flight. “I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens,” said Hans Koenigsmann, vice president of build and flight reliability at SpaceX. “This is a test flight, so we will learn things and gather experience with our subsystems.”
Hans did say he was confident that they could adapt quickly like they did for DM-1, if the issues are minor enough.

Bob Behnken probably has the last word here, fittingly enough:
“I think that, as a team, we would all agree that we probably aren’t ready for the Demo-2 mission.”

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I am surprised to read about that issue. Since DM-1 was supposed to be a full test of the Crew Dragon, I would have thought an issue like that which showed up in testing would have been required to be resolved before the mission. Whatever changes they make for the crewed mission won’t be able to be tested in orbit on an uncrewed mission based on the current announced mission schedule.

Almost Ready: SpaceX has work to do before Dragon is ready to carry crew - SpaceNews.com — SpaceNews

Quote: One such issue is with the Draco thrusters on Crew Dragon. During thermal vacuum testing of the spacecraft, engineers found that, in some circumstances, temperatures could get low enough to freeze propellant lines. “For the full environment that we were expecting this mission to be operating within, the Dracos didn’t like that environment. They weren’t operating that well in that environment,” Lueders said.

The fix for Demo-1 was to constrain the mission design to make it unlikely the spacecraft could get cold enough for long enough for the lines to freeze. That required launching only on days when Crew Dragon could get to the station within a day of the launch. Had the March 2 launch been scrubbed for weather or technical reasons, the next launch window wasn’t until March 5. The permanent solution, to be implemented on Demo-2 and later Crew Dragon spacecraft, will be to install heaters on the propellant lines.

More fixes may be needed to Crew Dragon depending on the analysis of data collected during the flight. “I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens,” said Hans Koenigsmann, vice president of build and flight reliability at SpaceX. “This is a test flight, so we will learn things and gather experience with our subsystems.”