Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a Crew Dragon Titanium Composite overwrapped pressure vessel for helium. There are also similar tanks for propellants with compatible metals.
ti_copv.jpg

Tanks locations at Dragon:
0PDMqnSLMF8H0A6JJnJ0qX5247EOzOJGyZ14sYC2MEU.png

Last edited:
Looking at that RUD video a big concern might be that the damage wasn't contained. Wasn't the inner hull or pressure shell designed to protect the crew capsule from such an event? Hope the data and debris allow for a timely well engineered fix. So unfortunate, I think SpaceX had just reached NASA's threshold of having flown 7 or more redesigned COPVs with FH 2. No time to waste here searching for Boeing snipers on a building.

Reactions: Grendal
Will Boeing do a flight abort test with a capsule that had been up to the space station or will they test with a different new one?

And if SpaceX will only be sending astronauts on new dragon capsules, then a flight abort test should be tested with a new one. This anomaly should not be counted against SpaceX. But I am glad that SpaceX did test with this one since SpaceX will ultimately be safer because of it.

Reactions: croman and Grendal
It will count against SpaceX if it was something that's likely unrelated to the capsule having visited space. SpaceX needs to find the cause before putting people in it. Though one can hope the fault *is* related to having visited space, as that would likely have have minimal impact on SpaceX.

If they can for example conclude something in the SuperDraco system didn't survive reentry undamaged, they can just only use new Dragon 2 for carrying astronauts, like they planned anyway, and the Dragon 2's refurbished for cargo missions don't need the SuperDracos anyway.

But now SpaceX has one less capsule. They may need to repurpose the capsule intended for carrying the first astronauts to the in-flight abort test, and then astronauts will go on the next one being built. So it's hard to see this not delaying the first crewed flight, even if the fault can be explained away.

That spaceflight.com article states: "Then, the company was able to prepare the capsule for this weekends testing just six weeks after the same Crew Dragon spent around an hour in the corrosive saltwater environment following splashdown from the Demo-1 mission."

It would be interesting if the conclusion was that exposure to saltwater led to the failure, given that the capsules were originally intended to land retro-repulsively on land, and it was only because NASA was uncomfortable with that that ocean landings took place.

Last edited:
Very upsetting to watch that video, but it will likely be weeks at a minimum before the cause is definitively identified and we learn what happened. I am not going to speculate as to what might have happened, since I know next to nothing about aerospace engineering and Crew Dragon construction.

The only thing I am almost certain of at this point is that Crew Dragon will not be flying humans to LEO this year. :(

I hope Boeing does fly humans this year, because the last thing I want is for NASA to keep paying the Russians $70 million/seat.

This new setback reminds me of the sadness I felt when the AMOS-6 F9 exploded on the pad on 9-1-2016. It was terrible to watch, but SpaceX worked through it, identified the cause, and corrected it. However, this new Crew Dragon problem will be more challenging to resolve because here SpaceX is working with NASA and there are obviously critical crew safety issues. Which is why I doubt humans will fly in a Crew Dragon in 2019.

Last edited:
Too little information at this point to know. It's all speculative except we know it happened during a Superdraco test and there was the plume seen in the picture. Some people that might possibly know says that the plume is hypergolics which also says something happened with the Superdracos. We'll need more information to know the extent of the damage to the capsule. Definitely a significant loss if it is lost as that was the capsule to be used for the IFA and the next capsule in line is the DM-2 capsule.

Edit: It's destroyed. Here is a video of the anomaly:
Astronut099 on Twitter
(First off, I think someone is getting fired. Filming a monitor with your phone then posting online has to be a no-no. Also, get a better phone... ;-)

If you listen to the reactions in the video (crank the volume way up, F-bomb warning though) you hear a few very telling things about the state of mind and spirit of those folks (whoever they are):
  • As the anomaly happens, everyone is swearing and one lady can be clearly heard saying “Oh my god!”.
  • Then one man goes “Nah, nah... here we go” as the smoke is about to clear and he is thinking the capsule will emerge unscathed. <- I would be that guy
  • Then it clears and everyone realizes the capsule is gone, and then you hear the pain.
I feel for them of course. But I also heard how dedicated they are, and I respect that a lot.

Reactions: croman and Grendal
Let’s wait for official word.
Okay, but we all know this is the internet, so that's not going to happen:)

COPV failure or some other cause, I can now see the Richard Shelby and Tom Stafford old school types questioning the decision to surround Dragon 2 with chemical rockets. Certainly necessary for propulsive landings, but for the lifespan of Dragon 2, SpaceX could decide landing Dragon 2 on terra firma isn't worth pursuing. I can't imagine what kind of redesign solid rocket motors would require, but with Elon's ability to quickly shift gears, suppose nothing can be ruled out.

I can't imagine what kind of redesign solid rocket motors would require, but with Elon's ability to quickly shift gears, suppose nothing can be ruled out.

Hypergols have been around forever so it’s not like the base technology is at fault. Hypergols are the right answer for high thrust and high control authority required in this kind of application; Elon's persistent first principals approach would have concluded that long ago. It’s got to be some clever SpaceX technology tweak that’s the root cause...or potentially Spacex’s faster and looser procedural approach...

Have you already forget that NASA's 'strict' procedural approach still end up with 14 dead astronauts with last crew program? This was a test. Also lot more hypergols coz LAS.

I usually think of this forum as better than whataboutism. :(

In any case, there’s no need to be offended that SpaceX balances risk and speed and technological progress differently than the legacy industry. You can’t change the world moving at a bureaucratic pace, as it were. It’s why they’re so successful and why they’re ushering in the biggest step function in Space since...probably the shuttle? It’s also why many of their public and not so public shortcomings aren’t on the cutting edge of progress. Typically not so spectacular shortcomings, but...

Steven Pietrobon from NSF :

"Here are some drawings of the Dragon 2 propellant system that I got from the HEOC CCP presentation. We see in the first drawing four blue tanks (with a pink stripe at the base) and two grey tanks. The next drawing shows the tanks mated with the crew compartment and then the heat shield attached. It looks like that next to each blue tank, another blue tank (again with a pink stripe at the base) is attached. That matches the red tanks we see in the flight vehicle. That makes total of 2+4+4 = 10 tanks all together. We know that some tanks contain helium, some MMH and some N2O4. If the grey tanks contain helium, than as those tanks are at the sides, then that can't be the source of the explosion. The focus of the explosion seems to be near the thruster quadrant under the right window."
dragon_copvs.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman