Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds more like the "ground support equipment", isn't that the equipment in the ground control station?, was configured wrong and sent commands that caused a power surge. So really a software problem? (or human data entry problem?)

In context, ground support equipment, or in this case, electrical ground support equipment (EGSE) is the electrical test racks that plug into the vehicle for ground testing. These are things that simulate all manner of things that can't be actually simulated (solar panel power, battery under/overvoltage--or just batteries in general as they're typically not installed through most of testing--GNC inputs, etc.) and then a master control that is the thing that actually sends the commands to the vehicle, including encryption and decryption once that's actually enabled.

If I'm reading between the lines, "damaged by a power surge" translates into "someone ****ed up an electrical mate". Batteries are often hot mates, and batteries are often not installed until "final" activities/checkouts/processing/whatever a mfg calls the last bit of stuff going on. Total speculation, but...I've seen what happens when someone screws up a battery mate...

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Instead of paying for the astronaut, a Russian cosmonaut will get a ride on a commercial launch.

GIven the shortage of docking ports, will NASA have a single crew on the ISS at a time with that crew delivered alternately be SpaceX and Boeing (once Boeing is certified)?

I was reading that article and my first thought was "time for another docking port addition to ISS". So there is room for 2 crew capsules plus an open port for cargo runs.

Reactions: EVCollies
It's a coming...

• Funny
Reactions: Nikxice
I guess I've never actually paid enough attention to Starliner, but since a big pic was front and center on SpaceNews I happened to notice the black ring with all the speed holes mounted close to the top of the cylindrical section. Best guess is they're turbulators for subsonic flight, to better condition the airflow off the trailing edge of the weird skirt thing.

Clever, I suppose.

Related, I assume the weird skirt thing is the right diameter to eventually bolt up to a Vulcan. (I think the centaur on the Atlas is something like 3m...?)