Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial EVSEs - Charging at Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I recently got interested in workplace charging options and thought I'd throw this out here.

Commercial EVSEs tend to be a lot more expensive than consumer grade EVSE, partly due to how rugged they must be built. And then if you add on some form of payment system (because if you don't, you'll end up with a situation where people hog the charging spots, unplug each other, etc.), it gets really expensive.

So I did some research and found that by far the cheapest manufacturer is Clipper Creek. Their CS-40 (30A J1772) with built in payment system costs around $2600. The nice thing about the payment system is that it doesn't require a network connection nor expensive yearly network charges. To start a charging session, employees or the public use a smartphone app to pay with their credit card for a predetermined charge time, and then they they get a one-time code to punch into the EVSE keypad.

With this setup, the employer gets some reimbursement for electricity used, and if the charge time is priced right, only people that truly need the chargers will use them, making them useful for everyone.