Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial use... Fair??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The three white ones are all belonging to the same taxi service. They are ALWAYS at this SC. I've not once been here where there hasn't at least been one. In this occasion, I charge very slowly and I can't help but to wonder if it's because of the number of cars. It just has me questioning of it's fair for commercial users to offload their electricity costs to Tesla and slowing down the system for travelers? Normally I wouldn't complain, but... well... I find myself with excess time on my hands at the moment... 7 kW... ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_155234137.jpg
    IMG_20171125_155234137.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
We see Teslloop vehicles here. Probably a similar business model
While it can be annoying to wait for them, I don't really have a problem with them. They are entrepreneurs just taking advantage of what Tesla has offered them. Unless they are breaking some rule I don't know of, then they have carved out a nice business thanks to Tesla

The big issue I see for them is the sustainability of their model. I suspect all or most free supercharging will be gone eventually. Even the new cars people are buying today only have free supercharging ( via referral ) for the life of their ownership

At some point when they can't replace an aging fleet with free supercharging, their model becomes less attractive

Tesla doesn't prohibit supercharging for commercial vehicles, but it is bad form to just leave them at a supercharger. I was there last summer and saw the same thing (although there was only 1 taxi there the couple of times I charged). Taking up three charging spots beyond the time it takes to charge is crazy.

Maybe send Tesla the pictures and complain since it is a recurring issue.

last year there was a similar situation discussed in one of the Montreal Supercharger threads about Teo always charging their Tesla taxi fleet and taking up spots at the SC, meanwhile they apparently also have their own locations around town with L3 charging stations.

I've seen multiple Tesloop vehicles at Culver City charging at the same time. Even with 16 chargers here, this has become a very busy charger that is full many times during the day. I've seen Tesloop vehicles cycle through here with the assistance of a guy who just moves Tesloop cars in and out of chargers all day. I understand that legally there is nothing preventing them from using the superchargers in this manner, but I don't think this usage is in line with the original intent/usage of the superchargers.

Luckily there are idle fees which are expensive so that prevents people from hogging stalls.

My thinking is they bought the vehicles fair and square and likely full price new (not cheap at all). Unless they bought a used car of course. Supercharging comes with such purchase (with referral code).

If they got the cars for free, then I'd be pissed.

Instead, I say file a complaint to Tesla regarding charging speeds, perhaps escalate through your account. Explain this station is always full and you get really slow charging speeds because of it's fullness. Maybe they do something about it? Maybe they decide to build another station or even add more stalls or something.

Luckily there are idle fees which are expensive so that prevents people from hogging stalls.

My thinking is they bought the vehicles fair and square and likely full price new (not cheap at all). Unless they bought a used car of course. Supercharging comes with such purchase (with referral code).

If they got the cars for free, then I'd be pissed.

Instead, I say file a complaint to Tesla regarding charging speeds, perhaps escalate through your account. Explain this station is always full and you get really slow charging speeds because of it's fullness. Maybe they do something about it? Maybe they decide to build another station or even add more stalls or something.
When I saw one of these there, they were parking and not plugged in, so no idle fees.

A friend of mine uses this mob all the time - I'll be letting them know that in the future they should use another company
This post of yours has give me a change of heart since I posted. Let's think bigger picture...

While this taxi service is annoying me as a Tesla owner... I must remember that I'm among the privileged few. It is not you or I using this service, but the general public. Asking them to use a different service causes more pollution. This taxi service is doing something fantastic for the environment and that should be encouraged, even if it inconveniences me. I would rather they charge at their own base on their own dime, but if that makes them non viable then I'll accept the inconvenience.

However, they need to be charging, not sitting. That has to stop. I didn't even consider that, so I'm not sure if they were or not when I took the photo.

. I would rather they charge at their own base on their own dime, but if that makes them non viable then I'll accept the inconvenience.

Even if charging at own base is viable, as a business they would take advantage of free electricity. And for a taxi fleet that savings would be tens of thousands of dollars a year - a savings for them, that directly comes out of Tesla. It is a losing proposition for Tesla whichever way you look at it.

Someone makes money directly by sucking Tesla's teat. Owners get pissed and Tesla loses more sales.

When Tesla says, "free electricity for long distance travel for the life of ownership", it gets the attention and gets sales, but if you don't set yourself boundaries for edge cases, then you are shooting yourself on the foot. Fine print was invented just for that.

Like in the 'all you can eat buffets', the fine print can still throw you out and ban you, if you abuse them.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones and Swift
While this taxi service is annoying me as a Tesla owner... I must remember that I'm among the privileged few. It is not you or I using this service, but the general public. Asking them to use a different service causes more pollution. This taxi service is doing something fantastic for the environment and that should be encouraged, even if it inconveniences me. I would rather they charge at their own base on their own dime, but if that makes them non viable then I'll accept the inconvenience.

The best mindset you can possibly have. Kudos to you. You can always find positive in every situation. Always.

However, they need to be charging, not sitting. That has to stop. I didn't even consider that, so I'm not sure if they were or not when I took the photo.

This is very true. Maybe if someone notices it happening again, leaving a note on the window? If they continue to do it again even after leaving a small note. Then I'd escalate to Tesla.