Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial use... Fair??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at my old photos and I found a picture from 8/13 when we arrived at the SC. During the week I was in town, this car was always parked at a SC but was never plugged in.

View attachment 262807
I would send this picture to the Company that owns the car. My guess is the management does not know the "driver" is simply parking there without charging. If that does not work and you could actually plug them in it might send a strong message. I was at the Indio, CA Supercharge last Friday and a Tesloop (sp?) car was right next to me. In the parking lot across from the chargers was another one parking. I agree with the other post that Tesla could have prevented this very easily and choose not too. Maybe in the future they will not allow it.

I'd sue the *sugar* out of them if
I would send this picture to the Company that owns the car. My guess is the management does not know the "driver" is simply parking there without charging. If that does not work and you could actually plug them in it might send a strong message. I was at the Indio, CA Supercharge last Friday and a Tesloop (sp?) car was right next to me. In the parking lot across from the chargers was another one parking. I agree with the other post that Tesla could have prevented this very easily and choose not too. Maybe in the future they will not allow it.

They all paid to use the supercharger in the cost of the car, even if someone drove 250K supercharger miles that's less than $10K in electricity. last I read only 7% of miles are supercharger miles, Tesla is making their money. In the future it's irrelevant because they are now charging for SC use.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 person
Tesla introduces new ‘Supercharger Fair Use’ policy to focus on long distance travel and deter commercial use
Supercharger Fair Use Policy.JPG

Reactions: .jg.
I'm trying to figure out whether the short range Model 3 is going to be a practical vehicle for full time Lyft drivers who have access to overnight level 2 charging.

Apparently 1000 miles per week is typical, which maybe suggests about 150 miles a day; maybe Lyft will end up with fewer highway miles than the EPA rating assumes in some markets like Boston (but perhaps not so much in the SF bay area?).

However, Lyft drivers probably also spend some time idling with the climate control running, and in places like Boston or Minneapolis, winter also likely increases energy consumption.

It seems like the Model 3 pay per use Supercharging might be effective at encouraging drivers to rely primarily on overnight charging, but I'm also wondering whether there's some underlying economic trade off where having a bigger battery to only go through one charge/discharge cycle per day instead of 1.5 ends up helping reduce wear on the battery, or if the cost of the Supercharger hardware used to enable use of the small battery ends up being more than the extra cost of the bigger battery.

I'm trying to figure out whether the short range Model 3 is going to be a practical vehicle for full time Lyft drivers who have access to overnight level 2 charging.

Apparently 1000 miles per week is typical, which maybe suggests about 150 miles a day; maybe Lyft will end up with fewer highway miles than the EPA rating assumes in some markets like Boston (but perhaps not so much in the SF bay area?).

However, Lyft drivers probably also spend some time idling with the climate control running, and in places like Boston or Minneapolis, winter also likely increases energy consumption.

It seems like the Model 3 pay per use Supercharging might be effective at encouraging drivers to rely primarily on overnight charging, but I'm also wondering whether there's some underlying economic trade off where having a bigger battery to only go through one charge/discharge cycle per day instead of 1.5 ends up helping reduce wear on the battery, or if the cost of the Supercharger hardware used to enable use of the small battery ends up being more than the extra cost of the bigger battery.

Having ridden in the Model 3 back seat, I would say it won't be a car that passengers would enjoy unless they can ride in front or are smallish and don't go very far.

Having ridden in the Model 3 back seat, I would say it won't be a car that passengers would enjoy unless they can ride in front or are smallish and don't go very far.
That's a little funny. People have height very unevenly distributed either in their legs or torso a lot of the time. But a lot of people don't realize that and project from whichever way they are. I can't stand sitting in the back seat of my Model S at all, unless I were to decapitate myself and store my head in the frunk. There's just no place for my head to BE, because I carry a lot of height in my torso. The Model 3 really fixed that issue, by lowering the seat cushion, and with the glass roof overhead, it has about 3 to 4 inches more headroom than my Model S, so I can actually sit upright in it. I was amazed. But yes, I have heard this complaint from people who have very short torsos and long legs, that they don't like the low seat, because it causes their knees to be too high.

That's a little funny. People have height very unevenly distributed either in their legs or torso a lot of the time. But a lot of people don't realize that and project from whichever way they are. I can't stand sitting in the back seat of my Model S at all, unless I were to decapitate myself and store my head in the frunk. There's just no place for my head to BE, because I carry a lot of height in my torso. The Model 3 really fixed that issue, by lowering the seat cushion, and with the glass roof overhead, it has about 3 to 4 inches more headroom than my Model S, so I can actually sit upright in it. I was amazed. But yes, I have heard this complaint from people who have very short torsos and long legs, that they don't like the low seat, because it causes their knees to be too high.
Fair point. And in truth, I dislike the back seat of my Model S as well. Like you, my head hits the roof in the Model S, and had more space in the Model 3. And indeed, my knees were practically in my chest in the 3. I had the pleasure of two other gentlemen at my side on that ride and found it difficult to close the door, buckle the seat belt and breathe! I exaggerate only slightly. The Model S is somewhat better for knee space and probably for width. I'd be curious how these impressions compare with actual dimensions, but I don't think Tesla publishes them.

Are you saying that driving for Lyft is in general a bad economic decision (which I think I would likely agree with) or that short range Model 3 would be a worse economic choice for a Lyft driver than an ICE?
Both. Lyft is a bad economic choice in general, and the 3 of any type is likely to depreciate like most luxury cars. Since depreciation is usually the biggest vehicle expense, it makes the economics worse. If I somehow decided to do Lyft I would do what the full time drivers seem to do most often around here: Older Prius or high mile sedan.

The Model S is somewhat better for knee space and probably for width. I'd be curious how these impressions compare with actual dimensions, but I don't think Tesla publishes them.
They definitely do publish them--every auto maker has to, apparently. If you go to cars.com and click "Research" at the top, you can find the specifications and dimensions of every car. And in the section that says "standard specs and dimensions", you can see all of the measurements for legroom, hip room, shoulder room, headroom, etc. On the Model 3, headroom is listed as 37.7 inches, and on the Model S, it's listed at 35.3 inches, so about 2 and a half inches more in the Model 3, which doesn't sound like a lot, but makes a pretty big difference. Also, it would make quite a bit of difference whether the Model S has the panoramic sunroof or the solid metal roof with the padding and insulation, which cuts down headroom even more. I'm not sure if the Model S spec on that page is for the pano or metal roof--probably metal, since that is considered standard.

• Informative
Reactions: David29