Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commissioning Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of an M3LR a few days ago (Australia). A Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector was installed about a week earlier. First time I plugged it in, I got an error message on the car's screen about commissioning the WC. So I downloaded the instructions (there are 4 steps). First step is to scan a QR code that came with the WC - it connects to my phone via wi-fi but says 'no internet'. Next step is scan QR code on the instructions which is an IP address. But because there's no internet I get no further so can't configure the WC. Basically I can't have a wi-fi connection to WC at the same time as a wi-fi or hotspot connection to the internet. Can anyone tell me how this setup can actually be done?

Solution
I took delivery of an M3LR a few days ago (Australia). A Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector was installed about a week earlier. First time I plugged it in, I got an error message on the car's screen about commissioning the WC. So I downloaded the instructions (there are 4 steps). First step is to scan a QR code that came with the WC - it connects to my phone via wi-fi but says 'no internet'. Next step is scan QR code on the instructions which is an IP address. But because there's no internet I get no further so can't configure the WC. Basically I can't have a wi-fi connection to WC at the same time as a wi-fi or hotspot connection to the internet. Can anyone tell me how this setup can actually be done?

It is expected that you have no...

It is expected that you have no internet while connected to the WC. The WC itself will be populating a webpage at the specified address for you to do the WC setup/commissioning.

Make absolutely sure you have airplane mode on during commissioning. You want your phone to only try to connect via that one wifi path, not give up and try the real internet.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you - I turned off mobile data and it eventually worked, but was fiddly. I was confused by the constant reminders that the wall connector had no internet and I assumed that a http IP address meant that it wanted internet (I am very old; when I got my driver's licence cars didn't even have seat belts!).
You reply was much appreciated.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0