Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

communicatio problem id 1900 yikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo
I just parked my roadster and pluggen in an usb to download some data.
And then the id:1900 code and communication provlem appeared on the vds.
I exited the car, locked it, and now it is not responding any more.

Any ideas?
The car is not parked at home and I had a 55mile/94km range left.

I had this happen once, though not while doing anything with the USB port. The problem was that the charge port door thing did not work, and without the computers talking to each other, the door buttons didn't work, either. Car was awake (pump running), but otherwise unresponsive. Doors closed, would not open.

Fortunately, I had left the windows down, and after convincing myself that the alarm wouldn't go off, I reached inside and opened the door from there. No alarm. The disconnecting / reconnecting of the VMS fixed things, and all has been fine since. Oddly, downloading the logs now goes a lot faster. Think it was just time for a reboot.

Anyway, if your doors are locked with the windows up, use your key in the mechanical unlock that is under the driver's door, about in the middle. From there you can open the passenger door, so to access the VMS connectors under the passenger side of the dash.

I had this happen once, though not while doing anything with the USB port. The problem was that the charge port door thing did not work, and without the computers talking to each other, the door buttons didn't work, either. Car was awake (pump running), but otherwise unresponsive. Doors closed, would not open.

Fortunately, I had left the windows down, and after convincing myself that the alarm wouldn't go off, I reached inside and opened the door from there. No alarm. The disconnecting / reconnecting of the VMS fixed things, and all has been fine since. Oddly, downloading the logs now goes a lot faster. Think it was just time for a reboot.

Anyway, if your doors are locked with the windows up, use your key in the mechanical unlock that is under the driver's door, about in the middle. From there you can open the passenger door, so to access the VMS connectors under the passenger side of the dash.
Thanks all
If the reset MLAUTO suggested doesn't work, then try hard restarting the VMS. Instruction's in this TMC thread.

Thanks
Unlocked door mechanically after some fiddling around for the keyhole.
The unplugged vds and it reset itself and is now back to normal and I made it back home.
The door would not close easily again though but it locked after a few attempts.

Reactions: petergrub
Yeah, sometimes the VMS locks up when reading/writing USB. Changing to a different USB works around the problem. Unplugging the VMS is the solution that worked for me.
Interesting. I've not had a problem with the USB stick I use, but now that you mention it, I've only used the same one.

The time it happened to me, I was poking round in the service menu, trying to find a way to see if the GSM connection was working. So, I had enabled it in the regular menu, then gone into the service menu to look for a signal report or some such. Never went into any of the screens to change anything (honest!), but after a minute or two (it was pretty soon), I suddenly got the 1900 alert.

I don't know if it was a coincidence with the enabling of the GSM connection or not, but I've left that alone (and off) ever since, and not even gone into the service menu either.. Do you know of any reason the two might be connected?