Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communication networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have any experience/knowledge of this iPhone/iPod touch software?

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

Apparently it interfaces with an OBD-to-WiFi gadget like this:
OBDKey :: OBD WiFi :: OBD WLAN :: OBD Wireless Lan
obdkeywifi.jpg

For realtime data about what is going on in your car. I wonder if it has access to things like "percent charged" etc which could be very useful.

Most of these OBDII devices use the ELM327 or a variant. The ELM series does not support the CAN bus at 1Mbps and cannot be used with the Tesla OBDII port. There are at least two busses on the Tesla OBDII connector: A 1Mbps CAN bus (aka CAN3) for firmware download and a (k-line) bus used by the SRS and ABS systems.

Some of the more technically minded on this forum have asked questions about protocols used for car control, so I thought I would throw out some links of publications and projects useful if you really wanted to understand how this stuff works.

On-Board Diagnostics for Light and Medium Duty Vehicles Standards Manual - 2006 Edition
Card Labs - OBDII Resources
OpenDiag
OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
prj.perquin.com
As far as I can tell none of this stuff applies to Tesla hardware. All of the messages are proprietary. The response I was given when I asked for documentation was: "Regarding the CAN messages, unfortunately I don't know of any simple manual or public standard that you could get your hands on to easily understand this." So it had to be reverse engineered. This post may help:

VDS CAN bus messages

from what I remember you can only do passive logging of the can bus(s) while the VMS is active. This might have changed with new code I havnt seen a roadster in a year. I'd avoid the ESS/BSM/BMB CAN. You will find the CAN address space broken up as sender and receiver. Most of the devices only listen for traffic that is ment for them. So watching the inter action you can format as needed. IP over can is your friend too.

I plugged my bluetooth odb2-device into the driver-area OBD2 port and tried connecting to the car with Torque(Android app). No luck, and then I read the port is using 1mbps ELM327. Did anyone have any success into connecting a regular OBD2 BT-dongle to the car? I know there's OVMS, but I would also like to try out other options, especially since Torque supports custom styles for clocks and such.