Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communication? Non-existent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a new model S in early February, right after they announced the refresh. I worked out a trade-in and got confirmations. It was quite easy. Delivery was to be between March 1 and March 31. Then, radio silence. No communication. None. Zip. Wait. Actually, yes there was communication. They did tell me my trade-in offer expired. I stopped in the Tesla store near me and inquired. They had no updates but they "hear" that delivery won't be till June, at the earliest. Come on. Can you imagine if they act that way when Mercedes, Audi, or BMW come up with a competitive product? Does anyone know anything about deliveries? All I would expect is an email saying, hey, we're delayed because of (a) chip shortage, or (b) factory changes that haven't happened as fast as we expected, and then, give me a projection.

Reactions: FutureShock
What are they going to communicate? "Your car is late. The engineers at the factory may know what's going on, but us delivery peons know nothing except your car didn't show up. Have a nice day."

You ever buy customized furniture? Think of buying a Tesla as being like buying a sofa. You pick your fabrics, put in the order, and the salesperson at the store says you will get your sofa in 6-12 weeks. You roll your eyes and walk out the door. The sofa will get there when it gets there.

Reactions: tibook
You ever buy customized furniture? Think of buying a Tesla as being like buying a sofa. You pick your fabrics, put in the order, and the salesperson at the store says you will get your sofa in 6-12 weeks. You roll your eyes and walk out the door. The sofa will get there when it gets there.

Re: Sofas:

Except, you were planning to use your old sofa until the new one got delivered and then just have the old one thrown away... so the delay didn’t matter too much.

Re: “Sofas”:

Some people may have sold their old sofa to pay for the new one and now have no sofa to sit on since the new one is late. Or arranged to sell their old sofa to pay for the new one at he time of delivery and now lost money due to the deal not being closed on time And the subsequent offer for the sofa being lower.

Now scale sofas to cars and you’re talking real money. I share the ops sentiment - Tesla is the only car that I’ve ordered where I’ve been completely blind during the entire process - and it came a month late.

In my case, I lease my sofa... so I had nothing to sit on for a while, then had to rent a ratty sofa. ;-)

Re: Sofas:

Except, you were planning to use your old sofa until the new one got delivered and then just have the old one thrown away... so the delay didn’t matter too much.

Re: “Sofas”:

Some people may have sold their old sofa to pay for the new one and now have no sofa to sit on since the new one is late. Or arranged to sell their old sofa to pay for the new one at he time of delivery and now lost money due to the deal not being closed on time And the subsequent offer for the sofa being lower.

Now scale sofas to cars and you’re talking real money. I share the ops sentiment - Tesla is the only car that I’ve ordered where I’ve been completely blind during the entire process - and it came a month late.

In my case, I lease my sofa... so I had nothing to sit on for a while, then had to rent a ratty sofa. ;-)
Ah, the good ole furniture industry. Yeah, their supply chain management could use a software update.

It's funny, I just bought a bedroom furniture set for the kids. Ordered Jan 3 2021, arrived April 25. And yet the boxes are stamped with the dates of manufacture: July through November 2020. So what the heck was that four month wait for?!

And now you know, buying a Tesla is like buying furniture. Don't get rid of the old one till the new one is arrived!