Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Communication Problem Service Required (id:1900)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
Uh oh...

I got in my car (a 2.0) this evening to try turning on the GSM (ref another thread), just to see if I could tell if it actually connected. Enabled it (6 hrs), then went into the service menu to see if there was any sort of status screen that might indicate a signal strength or connection state. I think I tapped on VDS and was about to hit the Back button when an alert popped up, Communication Problem. Dismissing that returned me to the main screen (not the service screen), but with no information:

IMG_20180719_182745.jpg IMG_20180719_182726.jpg

I closed the passenger door (where I was doing this from), and notice that both doors are now locked. Fortunately, both windows are rolled down. (I don't dare try opening the door from the inside, for fear of setting off the alarm.) The OVMS is connected, and it claims that the passenger door is still open, so apparently whatever happened killed the CAN bus driving the VDS (which is where, I think, OVMS gets its data from. The coolant pump is running, and the passenger light is on. Disconnecting the charging connector turns the light from blue to white, but closing the door does not turn it off. Reconnecting the charge cord and sliding the switch turns the light blue, but no charging is initiated. The battery is at 28C, full standard charge, so the pump wouldn't be going due to temps. Car was last driven this morning, no apparent issues.

I tried the open/close/open/close... thing on the charge port door to reset the car, but no change observed. (How fast / long does one need to do this?)

Leaning into the car, I apparently can still get to the service menu. Is there something (safe) that I can do there to reset things, or am I on the wrong side of the fault?

Help?

Error 1900 is a VMS-VDS communication issue which is why the second picture of the VDS doesn't show any vehicle information. You should try a hard reboot of the VMS. Unplug the blue and black connectors, wait 30 seconds to a minute, then reinsert both connectors (the order for removal and reinsertion doesn't matter).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Yes, that did it. I remembered last night while trying to get to sleep (hard to do with a sick child :)) that there was a thread a while ago about a lock-up, and how to reboot it. Found it this morning (while you were typing your reply, I expect): How and where to pull plug / power to the VMS?

Anyway, I got a single "chirp" from the horn, and the VDS blinked once and all seems normal again.

OVMS, by the way, shows a trio of alerts: 1096, 3003 (neither of which are listed on the wiki), and an alert that the car is being transported while parked (possible theft/flatbed). Then it started charging.

Will grab the logs when that's done.

All happy. Thanks!

Hmmm, one more bit of follow-up... As I said, it started charging after the reboot, which was fine. The charge current I had set (24 amps) had been reset to 40; not surprised. But it kept charging. A Standard charge has been about 164. I stopped it at 170.

Do I need to drive the car a bit for it to re-learn the charging parameters?

Edit: Got the logs; it went to 86% SOC, vs 83% normally. But the VDS now is displaying 164... I think I'll let it sit for a few days, unplugged, to let the vampires take the charge down a bit, before letting it charge again. I don't want it to overcharge.

Side note... The downloading of the logs is a lot faster now for some reason. Odd.

Last edited: