Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Community Creation Of A User Guide For Remote S, Version 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
Remote S, Version 2.0 was released today, July 1. The author, a popular forum member regoapps (Allen,) underwent surgery yesterday, and will be recovering for quite some time. In the Remote S thread (Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) there has been some discussion of the need for an actual User Guide. I think it would be great if the TMC community could come together and compose a good first draft of this guide to present to Allen. He could then do with it as he sees fit.

I'm sure there are a few people here with experience in writing user guides who also are using the app extensively, and would be willing to help. I bought the app to install on my wife's phone, but don't get to use it much, since it is on my wife's phone. (I use an android phone.) I'd be willing to help with proof-reading and editing for style, grammar, etc, but since I won't be using the app much, I'm not the best person to do the heavy-lifting on this.

Would others like to help get the ball rolling? Let's see if we can get something accomplished here, as a small token of our appreciation for what Allen has done for the community with his app.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Remote S, Version 2.0 was released today, July 1. The author, a popular forum member regoapps (Allen,) underwent surgery yesterday, and will be recovering for quite some time. In the Remote S thread (Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) there has been some discussion of the need for an actual User Guide. I think it would be great if the TMC community could come together and compose a good first draft of this guide to present to Allen. He could then do with it as he sees fit.

I'm sure there are a few people here with experience in writing user guides who also are using the app extensively, and would be willing to help. I bought the app to install on my wife's phone, but don't get to use it much, since it is on my wife's phone. (I use an android phone.) I'd be willing to help with proof-reading and editing for style, grammar, etc, but since I won't be using the app much, I'm not the best person to do the heavy-lifting on this.

Would others like to help get the ball rolling? Let's see if we can get something accomplished here, as a small token of our appreciation for what Allen has done for the community with his app.

Thanks!

Thanks Andy. I would have written one myself if I wasn't pressed for time to get version 2.0 out before my surgery. I would have written one while I'm sitting my hospital bed, but without access to my car, I can't show users the different settings like front defroster, rear defroster, charging statuses, etc.

There is one bug I noticed. When the charge is complete, it says "Disconnected" instead of "Complete". I will fix that in the next version. It was one of the things I couldn't test for, because I didn't have access to a charger while I was coding version 2.0 in NYC.

If anyone has any questions about anything, I can help answer them.

As was suggested in the Remote S thread, below is the Version 2.0 change log, written by Allen:

iOS devices
1. New algorithm makes the app open faster and respond to commands even faster (if on WiFi, less than 1 second).
2. Command buttons now reflect the state of the car and have sound effects (can be muted in the settings or by the mute button on the side of your device).
3. Error messages now appear if a command fails. Turning on notifications allows the app to tell you if a command fails even if the app is put in the background after issuing a command. So now you can just fire-and-forget your command without waiting for confirmation afterwards.
4. Upside-down orientation enabled so that users can place the charging cable on the top of the device.
5. Top-left button now only opens and closes the command menu.
6. New command menu interface doesn't block the car stats when in the landscape orientation.
7. New wider slider controls for charge limit and driver/passenger temperature settings. Activate it by tapping on the Charge Limit %.
8. In-car scheduled charging start times are now displayed in the app if a scheduled charge is pending.
9. Shift states are now displayed above the speedometer.
10. Roof now shows the progress of the roof's position as it's moving.
11. Tapping on the top-left area of the car stats box (where the Current is) toggles the command menu.
12. Long pressing the middle-right area of the car stats box (where the Fan Speed/Outside temperature is) toggles climate control.
13. Long pressing the middle-left area of the car stats box (where the Voltage/Charge rate is) toggles lock/unlock.
14. Long pressing the bottom-right area of the car stats box (where the Ideal/Rated range is) opens the app settings page.
15. Long pressing the bottom-left area of the car stats box (where the Charge % is) opens the car selector and signout menu.
16. Tapping on the top-right area of the car stats box (where the Inside Temp is) toggles the roof settings menu if you have a pano roof installed. Otherwise it toggles the charge limit and temperature sliders.
17. Added user location to the map as well as the ability to follow the user's direction heading
18. Added the ability to save/load breadcrumbs to two different save slots. Simply make your route of breadcrumbs and then press the save button (floppy disk icon).
19. Added the ability to view your trip's statistics (including distance, kWh used, total cost, and more). This is displayed for your current trip as well as your two saved breadcrumb trips by tapping on the MPGe or Average Speed display.
20. Each breadcrumb on the map now shows you the speed, charge percentage (SOC), rated range, date, and odometer
21. Tapping on each pin's info bubble now gives you the distance from your car to the pin as well as directions on how to get there and the ability to copy the full address or coordinates to your clipboard.
22. Bandwidth efficiency: Updates now don't happen unless the screen is visible. Except in the case of a background fetch.
23. Added the amount of energy and miles (rated, typical, or ideal depending on your car settings) added in your latest charge session.
24. Added the ability to change the roof percent open by using a slider. You can also tap the roof above the slider to open and close the roof.
25. Long pressing the bottom-middle area of the car stats box (where the Esimated range is) unlocks the car and start keyless driving (TouchID or password still required).
26. Added the ability to compare the cost of your trip versus the cost of an equivalent car. Change the comparison car's stats and average gasoline price in the app settings to get a more accurate comparison.
27. Added the display of charger phases. For example, a (3) will appear next to the word "Current" when the charging phases is 3.

App settings menu added for iOS devices
- Always display the battery current even when not charging. This is useful to see how much battery is being used by the car when it's not charging.
- Always display the charge limit/temperature setting sliders when you open the command menu.
- Mute notification sounds for successful and/or failure commands
- Switch between km/mi regardless of car settings
- Switch between C/F regardless of car settings
- Enable more accurate car stats and display decimal points
- Enable a more accurate odometer
- Toggle the requirement for confirmation on car and charge port unlock
- Toggle the requirement for confirmation on opening the roof
- Set the minimum time between car status refreshes

Apple Watch
1. First screen on glance now displays interior and exterior temperatures on top and rated range when not charging.
2. Estimated range in the Glance view now properly display km if the car is set to display km.
3. Changing the charge limit will now do it instantaneously after each button press.
4. Bar graphic under the Fan Speed now ranges from 0-11.
5. Text at the bottom now show temperature readings and various ranges.
6. Glance now shows rated or ideal miles depending on your car settings.
7. New buttons added for more functionality including Max Cool and Max Heat.
8. Preset temperatures are now available when you Force Touch the watch in the temperature settings screen.

Both Watch and iOS
1. Increased security with user credentials. They are protected by the Apple Keychain.
2. Changed increments of Celsius to .5 instead of 1 degree.
3. Increased limits of temperature settings change to LO and HI.
4. Roof settings removed for users without a roof.
5. Charge port no longer has a close button for those without a motorized charge port.
6. Added Max Cool and Max Heat buttons that set the temperature to extremes and turns on the climate control.
7. Added the ability to disable remote control commands to the Tesla. This allows you to give the app to someone else, sign in using your Tesla username and password, and then that person can monitor your vehicle without the ability to control it. Great for letting your family members know where you are exactly without worrying about them touching the controls.
8. Changed charge port graphics for cars that don't have the U.S. charge port.
9. Charging rate, amps, volts now display when charging.
10. Car graphics now accurately show the different states of the car.
11. Charging font color now changes depending on the charging state.
12. New button icons. Crisper icons for iPhone 6 Plus. New "disconnected" icon for when the port is open but the car is not plugged in.
13. EU Vehicles now display "Typical" and "Rated" range labels.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Andy. I would have written one myself if I wasn't pressed for time to get version 2.0 out before my surgery. I would have written one while I'm sitting my hospital bed, but without access to my car, I can't show users the different settings like front defroster, rear defroster, charging statuses, etc.

There is one bug I noticed. When the charge is complete, it says "Disconnected" instead of "Complete". I will fix that in the next version. It was one of the things I couldn't test for, because I didn't have access to a charger while I was coding version 2.0 in NYC.

If anyone has any questions about anything, I can help answer them.

Happy to do what I can, Allen, though I'm also limited, since I don't have an iPhone. I'm hoping others will step up.

I will start the bug section right now:

Remote S Version 2.0 Known Issues (To Be Corrected in Version 3.0):

--When charge completes, app reports "Disconnected" instead of "Complete".

Last edited:
I have been playing with the new version---lots of features and lots to learn. Will try to contribute as possible.

One observation: there is a squiggly icon at the right rear of the car which I assume relates to HVAC operation. I see this sometimes when I am pretty sure the HVAC is not on, but the car is charging. Is this indicating some cooling status for the battery pack as well?

Hopefully someone can make some screen shots with overlay diagrams of the hidden tap/press buttons for all of the functions.

Thanks.

I have been playing with the new version---lots of features and lots to learn. Will try to contribute as possible.

One observation: there is a squiggly icon at the right rear of the car which I assume relates to HVAC operation. I see this sometimes when I am pretty sure the HVAC is not on, but the car is charging. Is this indicating some cooling status for the battery pack as well?

Hopefully someone can make some screen shots with overlay diagrams of the hidden tap/press buttons for all of the functions.

Thanks.

It depends on whether the API says that the autoconditioning is on or not. It should only happen if the HVAC is on, but I haven't charged the car with the cooling status on the battery pack on before, so it could be for that as well. Perhaps that stats just didn't update yet?

Click the Wiki tab, then click the 'Post new article' button. The rest it pretty easy, since it's like editing a forum post.

I was wondering if it was that simple. (I did look at the Wiki tab after posting.) I'll start the Wiki now.

Edit: OK, the very bare bones WIKI has been started here: Remote S, Version 2.0 User Guide (Draft) - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

There is a discussion page there, so additional discussion of this topic should probably move to that discussion page. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure this is the appropriate thread, but here's my question. I go to a restaurant and want to use valet parking. I have Remote S on my iPhone 6. So I activate valet parking on the car. Do I then take the fob with me or what? Sorry to be so elemental, I'm an old person.

Not sure this is the appropriate thread, but here's my question. I go to a restaurant and want to use valet parking. I have Remote S on my iPhone 6. So I activate valet parking on the car. Do I then take the fob with me or what? Sorry to be so elemental, I'm an old person.

The correct thread to ask questions about Remote S is this one: Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Your question isn't even really about Remote S, though, but rather about valet parking.

To valet park your car, the valet will need the fob. He or she would not be able to move the car without it. Remote S or the Tesla app would allow you to start the car if the Valet somehow lost the fob, and would also allow you to monitor the car while it is in the valet's care.