TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Commute advice setting gone?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by contaygious, Jun 30, 2018.

1. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Am I crazy? I never get these anymore...the popup that tells me a faster route when I drive home?

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes. It's gone. I noticed it when I got my new Model X at the end of March. It had both the new Intel MCU and the new Nav system, so I wasn't sure at the time which new feature resulted in its absence (most likely the new Nav). I had really come to rely on it with my previous Model S. Now I have to remember to plot a course to work every day if I want to avoid traffic :mad:

3. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Weird, I wonder why...it had an on/off setting.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Probably something about the new, revamped NAV system that makes it difficult/impossible to implement.

5. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Use Waze?

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That defeats the whole purpose. It used to be fully automatic. Now you'd have me pull out and mount my phone, launch Waze and put in a destination? Might as well just put a destination into the Tesla Nav system.

As long as you had Home and Work destinations set up in the system, it would alert you to traffic on the way to work and suggest alternate routes... even without using the Nav system at all. I found that very helpful.

7. gdh66

gdh66 Member

The new nav system automatically reroutes you thru traffic jams.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

So did the old one (although I think the new one does it better).

What we're talking about was the feature that would automatically alert you to traffic conditions on your commute. As long as you had your Home and Work locations saved in the system, you would get pop-up alerts about traffic delays even if you were not using Nav, and without the need for a route to be entered. I mean who would normally use their Nav system to get to and from work every day? Now if I want to be alerted, I have to remember to use the Nav system on every commute drive.

9. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

I turn on waze to and from work every day. I actually have it on when not routing.
    This is how I know if I need to go a different way than usual. Also cause police reports.

Waze sends back road speeds even when not routing so others will get the best routing. It’s a crowd sourced traffic info. This is also why waze has the best guidance around traffic. Google bought waze for this and one other reason

*disclaimer. I am a senior beta tester with Waze. So I know all the engineers and the like and very familiar with the backend of the waze infrastructure.

• Like x 1
  10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sure. You can do that... or plot a route in the Tesla Nav itself. I just liked the whole "you don't have to do anything" approach that used to exist.

11. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

I totally agree. I turn on waze every time I drive. I tried to get the waze engineers do exactly what you said. Didn’t get enough votes unfortunately.

12. MaHubs

MaHubs New Member

Yeah? Twice mine has routed me not up 19th St through SF but into SF and then over the Bay Bridge...through the worst traffic jams I've ever lived through......20 minutes to go one block in one place. I really don't trust it much any more....