Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commuting by Tesla is cheaper than public transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And depreciation + insurance costs.
It's easy to forget those two, but they are huge value destroyers when it comes to operating vehicles.

But as others have said: if you want to feel good about the choice you've already made, creative accounting can come to the rescue of any questionable endeavour.

a
Mileage based depreciation maybe. Insurance cost of driving more compared with driving less - I don't find a meaningful difference. Can you provide an example?

Mileage based depreciation maybe. Insurance cost of driving more compared with driving less - I don't find a meaningful difference. Can you provide an example?

Some insurance companies, in at least some states, ask how many miles you drive on average in a month/year/whatever and adjust your rates accordingly- since more miles=higher risk of claim.

Some insurance companies, in at least some states, ask how many miles you drive on average in a month/year/whatever and adjust your rates accordingly- since more miles=higher risk of claim.
Exactly, except that I never find a meaningful difference between low mileage and high ones.
What is your estimate on the additional cost of driving a Model 3 300mi compared to 100mi every week?

Exactly, except that I never find a meaningful difference between low mileage and high ones.
What is your estimate on the additional cost of driving a Model 3 300mi compared to 100mi every week?

Given insurance rates vary wildly not just by state, but often by city, and sometimes even by area of city- that's impossible to answer.

I've seen folks in a few states post monthly insurance payments approaching what I pay here in NC for 6 months of coverage.

But as a general answer- in some places with some companies it'll but single-percentage difference in insurance costs.... in others it might be 20-30% difference in price, which if you're in an expensive state is substantial.

The OP (and I) ALREADY has/needs/wants a Tesla for the weekends. How does a Honda 1992 make any sense for the weekdays as it is going to incur an extra cost and takes my second garage space?
How hard is it for you to understand the question: should I drive my ALREADY owned Tesla/Lambo/Bugatti/anything to work? It doesn't matter at all how much the original car costs. All that matter are operational costs and benefits.

Read the title of the thread. You’re both justifying decisions. This is not a real world cost analysis of anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: Retaw
Read the title again. May I know what "decisions" are you referring to being justified?

I don’t know why you need this spelled out, but okay.

The thread title is “Commuting by Tesla is cheaper than public transport”. Which is patently false given the parameters the OP chose to use.

Therefore, some crazy math is being used to justify a purchase and life decision.

• Disagree
Reactions: Retaw
I don’t know why you need this spelled out, but okay.

The thread title is “Commuting by Tesla is cheaper than public transport”. Which is patently false given the parameters the OP chose to use.

Therefore, some crazy math is being used to justify a purchase and life decision.
Except that it's not a purchase (I don't know why a car becomes "life decision", maybe safety?) decision lol. It might be hard for you to understand but... Some people don't buy a car for commute.

For me the "purchase decision" was already justified for weekend road trip etc utilities. I have perfectly fine public transportations for commute where I can browse TMC etc. So the decision here is just an routine one of whether to take the public transportation on weekdays. Nothing big.

In the end, I drive to work around 2-3 times a week. The trade-offs are a wash. Will I buy the Tesla if I can't drive to work? YES. Will I buy if I have to drive to work? YES. (Maybe AWD/Performance model if I have to drive)

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Except that it's not a purchase (I don't know why a car becomes "life decision", maybe safety?) decision lol. It might be hard for you to understand but... Some people don't buy a car for commute.

For me the "purchase decision" was already justified for weekend road trip etc utilities. I have perfectly fine public transportations for commute where I can browse TMC etc. So the decision here is just an routine one of whether to take the public transportation on weekdays. Nothing big.

In the end, I drive to work around 2-3 times a week. The trade-offs are a wash. Will I buy the Tesla if I can't drive to work? YES. Will I buy if I have to drive to work? YES. (Maybe AWD/Performance model if I have to drive)

You still don’t get it. But that’s okay.

On to the “ignore” list you go.

You still don’t get it. But that’s okay.

On to the “ignore” list you go.
Haha see you. Some people never understand that the car might be a fixed cost. Nobody factors in the house cost when considering whether it's cheaper to cook at home or go to restaurants: people buy/rent house anyways. Some people buy car anyways regardless of commuting or not. There is just an extra option when the car/house is available.

Nobody factors in the house cost when considering whether it's cheaper to cook at home or go to restaurants: people buy/rent house anyways. Some people buy car anyways regardless of commuting or not. There is just an extra option when the car/house is available.

Just lovely.
We've segued onto real estate and dining menu debate.

The only thing this thread is now missing is a random injection of "your opinion of FUD" and "you are a short seller" to justify whatever position the poster is advocating.

a