Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see if any of these will fit in the frunk of the new "D" cars. If it's close, the 145's have a better chance of fitting in front of that second motor. Wonder if the P85D larger, front motor takes up more of the frunk than the S85D front motor?

Agreed, though the difference is pretty small. And of course there's always the possibility that the D will be more sensitive to diameter differences because all the wheels will be driven.

As for the motors, it'll be interesting to see whether there's an actual physical difference between the P front motor and the "normal" front motor. My guess is that the difference in output is down to programming.

Still can't find a 155/80-18 anywhere. One popped up on eBay yesterday. I called the seller. He said it holds air, but is OLD (in caps, just like that) and has some rotting. I would never drive on it.
There a bunch of 145/80-18's, and there are a bunch of 155/85-18's.
I wonder if there is another solution out there?

Still can't find a 155/80-18 anywhere. One popped up on eBay yesterday. I called the seller. He said it holds air, but is OLD (in caps, just like that) and has some rotting. I would never drive on it.
There a bunch of 145/80-18's, and there are a bunch of 155/85-18's.

Given the results reported in this post: Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution - Page 7

I would just buy the 145/80 and be done with it.

Actually, if you don't have the BMW wheel yet, you might try this: Email the guys at bimmerzone, say you aren't sure about fitment but want to give it a shot. Buy their spare tire kit. Tell them if it works they can start advertising it as a kit for a Model S, too. If it doesn't work, you'll ship it back to them for a refund.

Not sure if they'd go for it or not, but it's worth a try.

Here's the link to what I *think* should work fine on the Model S: BMW X3 F25 Spare Tire Kit : Bimmerzone.com

Still can't find a 155/80-18 anywhere.

Certainly. An X5 19" Alloy (requires .250" spacer), Bentley 19's and 20's (requires easily indexed/machined bolt-circle change) and several others. However, it appears that JST's 18" solution is the easiest with a 155/80-18. When I switch to staggards, I will find a donut that will work with BOTH the front and rear and identically match revs/mile (actually, I will measure over a 1K' measured distance instead of 5280').

Have you attempted to order a 155/80-18 at a Ford dealership since it was offered on a 05-7 Escape or pep boys?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Certainly. An X5 19" Alloy (requires .250" spacer), Bentley 19's and 20's (requires easily indexed/machined bolt-circle change). However, it appears that JST's 18" solution is the easiest with a 155/80-18. When I switch to staggards, I will find a donut that will work with BOTH the front and rear and identically match revs/mile (actually I will measure over a 1K' measured distance).

Have you attempted to order a 155/80-18 at a Ford dealership since it was offered on a 05-7 Escape or pep boys?

I looked into that; the tire was $300 new from the Ford dealer; pep boys was similar.

Great! So they are available. I would easily drop the extra $97 (over the $203 for a 145/80-18 as listed on tire-rack) to nearly match the factory size tire on a $100K car. I don't want to admit how much I have spent experimenting with the previously mentioned combos along with AMG inflatables and Land Rover donuts (but it is fun).

Last edited:
I tried Pep Boys and they said it was not available. I'll call another one, or at another time to try another employee. I will also try Ford. If anyone has been successful, please post here any details. Otherwise, I'll go with a 145 solution

Great! So they are available. I would easily drop the extra $97 (over the $203 for a 145/80-18 as listed on tire-rack) to nearly match the factory size tire on a $100K car. I don't want to admit how much I have spent experimenting with the previously mentioned combos along with AMG inflatables and Land Rover donuts (but it is fun).

They were, yes, as of Jan.

The other car this tire came on was the 2004 Mercury Marauder, in case that helps the Ford dealer do the lookup. IIRC, I had to call a couple of dealers before I got a parts guy that was willing to figure it out.

I believe it was a Bridgestone tire, but on that point I am a bit less certain.

4SUPER9

if you have no luck, let me know, and I will do some snooping around for you
Thanks. I may take you up on that. In the meantime, I have a few speciality tire shops and Ford dealer parts depts searching some warehouses for me. The only info I got so far is that it is/was called a Bridgestone Tempa Spare. I will hopefully have some leads today.

I received an email response from the people at Bimmerzone:
Yes, we actually have sold a couple of these to Tesla Owners, these will fit (as close as you can get to the 155). I am sure you know the center hub on the Tesla is a bit smaller but the wheel bolt pattern is the same.

Our return policy is 14 days after receipt. If for some weird reason it does not fit, you can send it back (less shipping).
I would rather have the 155 due to it's stronger size. I have had no luck with the Ford dealers so far.

Any update on this? I'm thinking about getting a spare donut for snow season in case I get a flat I need something to limp home.

Does anyone have an actual part number or person I can order from where they are ABSOLUTELY sure it will fit on the rear or front of a P+? There are many suggestions in this 12 page thread and I'm just looking for a DEFINITIVE and final solution here. Thanks!

So far I'm thinking that a used 19 inch Tesla wheel is my best option.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Any update on this? I'm thinking about getting a spare donut for snow season in case I get a flat I need something to limp home.

Does anyone have an actual part number or person I can order from where they are ABSOLUTELY sure it will fit on the rear or front of a P+? There are many suggestions in this 12 page thread and I'm just looking for a DEFINITIVE and final solution here. Thanks!

So far I'm thinking that a used 19 inch Tesla wheel is my best option.

I am sure that the 18" compact spare wheel from BMW will fit on the front wheel. I have tested it.

I am pretty sure that it will also fit on the back, but I haven't tested this yet. Was going to do it when I swapped my snows on, but it was late and cold and I was too tired.

As for whether you should use a 155 or 145 tire, I have tested the 155 on the front wheel and it works fine. No codes, no disabling of TC, everything works as it should. Others in this thread have done the same with the 145 and report that it also works. I haven't personally seen that, so I can't confirm, but it sounds from the entries above that it does. The 145 is certainly easier to source than the 155; in fact, there's a vendor that sells the 145 tire and wheel already mounted, so that's clearly the easiest solution.

If you want to make absolutely sure you won't have any trouble, the Tesla 19" wheel is the best option, but that will take up the majority of your frunk. The compact spare leaves more room for other stuff.

I am sure that the 18" compact spare wheel from BMW will fit on the front wheel. I have tested it.

I am pretty sure that it will also fit on the back, but I haven't tested this yet. Was going to do it when I swapped my snows on, but it was late and cold and I was too tired.

As for whether you should use a 155 or 145 tire, I have tested the 155 on the front wheel and it works fine. No codes, no disabling of TC, everything works as it should. Others in this thread have done the same with the 145 and report that it also works. I haven't personally seen that, so I can't confirm, but it sounds from the entries above that it does. The 145 is certainly easier to source than the 155; in fact, there's a vendor that sells the 145 tire and wheel already mounted, so that's clearly the easiest solution.

If you want to make absolutely sure you won't have any trouble, the Tesla 19" wheel is the best option, but that will take up the majority of your frunk. The compact spare leaves more room for other stuff.

Thanks JST super useful! I'll probably just play it safe and go the 19" route.

The 18" steely will fit both front and rear.

Long story....if all goes well, I will have a couple of new (never mounted) 155/80-18's tires in my hands in a few days to re-sell (with no profit ~$375 ) to other S owners (I am a 19" alloy wheel donut "card-carrying" member for almost 2 yrs) but may switch to an 18 when we move to staggards in 10,000 miles from now.

Checking car-part.com, they don't list as 'donut' or 'compact' but do list 'spare carrier' which in the 05>07 Ford Escape or 04 Merc Marauder is a pickup truck style cable supported spare that rides under the rear bed. The Denver yard showing these spare carriers doesn't see 155/80-18 as likely but rather 17in. In any event its 230 miles away so will go on my cabin fever breakout list of coming excitements. I've wanted a simple wrecking yard solution for 2 years now even though my frunk is (luckily) big enough for a full sized off season Tesla wheel. But inside the car really only a donut spare is doable.

Nice collection of donut wheels you got there!!

@linkster: If you get one that fits all around the MS please transcribe the rim stamped numbers as well as the rubber data. Thanx!!
--

I'm feeling so much more relaxed now...my BMW X3F25 spare just arrived...got jack and hefty lug wrench for small dollars from auto parts store...now I'm in control of my own destiny!!

People are bad at planning for low probability/high impact events (like hurricanes or getting a flat late at night in a dead reception cell zone), but this simple addition solves that problem...(got it from Bimmerzone, a bit more expensive than putting the pieces together myself, but I'm sure it is a good one..just don't trust eBay for emergency supplies)

I also have a long 12 gauge 110V extension cord....I didn't get all the adapters, 50 amp cords, etc...this one will do in an emergency, I won't be stranded...that is the crucial thing...

wy

I purchased the $100 steelies (X5 18") from Bimmerzone. What specific rubber data would you like? Will send you the info when I get back from enjoying your and Cott's beautiful region (Jackson) of the country. btw, I wouldn't bother with any 17's that you mentioned.

gz

Fully agree with always being prepared for unexpected emergencies such as flat tires, hurricanes, charging, and carjackings. However, I would strongly recommend acquiring all of the Tesla UMC adapters (incl. the now discontinued 6-50 and 14-30) since they seem to be vanishing at an alarming rate.

Last edited:
The good thing is, as soon as you put a spare in the car... it's insurance that you'll never have a flat!
Reverse Murphy Law.

Maybe you could fool the car and just put any old tire in there. ... Placebo effect.

FWIW, here is my donut spare which I got by following the original recommendations of JST. Storing it with the hollow facing up preserves some storage space which is useful for restraining appropriately-sized stuff that would otherwise slide around the frunk during spirited driving; and it is still possible to stuff small and medium size items in the "microwave" space. The tire changing hardware is stored in the rear trunk footwell.
DSC_3756.jpg