Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad to see that good ideas can be created on the other side of the world given the same requirements.

We carry the same tool set plus plug kits (more than one is good as the glue does dry out in storage). The frunk is where I store tools and additional 204VAC adapters for charging in very remote areas or emergency situations. The frunk is not the most convenient place for storage when shopping so it has become the place for tools and things.

I still prefer storing the tire behind the driver's seat so that the contents of the main trunk are hidden from view. In fact, with a black tire bag the spare is almost invisible behind the driver's seat. Thieves like shiny things so a black bag is good.

I too am a fan of carrying a full sized spare. When we travel across Canada there are places and services (ferry crossings) that are booked much in advance and cannot be missed. A tire failure for any reason needs to be recovered quickly so that the journey can continue at speed. Anything less does not have value when we need it most.

Having read all these posts and various warnings: if you have fitted a skinny wheel or any similar alternatives, would it not be a good idea to turn on - for those models which have it - "CHILL” mode. This seems to about halve the kWh used at full throttle, and the car drives with clearly less torque.

So far as I know, this can be combined with "Valet" mode, which limits the top speed.

Here in UK, our AA (eqiv AAA in USA) have introduced their Multi-Fit wheel, siad to fit 90% of vehicles. It's fitted at the roadside, and lent to you for a day or two while you sort out your punctured tyre. You pay a returnable deposit, and leave the wheel with any of our national chains of tyrefitters. They arrange collection by the AA.

It is said they can't be used with "fixed all-wheel drive" - but our "fixing" is electronic, not mechanical.

I can't find a published list of vehicles these fit. I wonder does anyone have experience?

Philip

Traded my (2nd) Model S in yesterday on a Model 3P+. The Model 3, for whatever reason, uses different wheel bolt patterns, so my Model S space saver spare is of no use to me anymore. Send me a message if you're looking for a spare!

It’s the one mentioned in the beginning of the thread—a BMW X5 18” compact steel wheel with a T155 80 18 tire mounted. The tire comes from an Escape hybrid and is almost identical in diameter to the OEM tires. Also has the correct plastic centering ring.

On price—$175 plus shipping?
where are u located, whats shipping to zip 11550

Was wondering if anyone did this recently. I went ahead and bought the rim (BMW part #36116768861) from FCPEuro and decided to try it on my 12/16 MS before having to use it on the road. It fit fine on the front but on the rear the disc brake caliper pressed right up against the inside of the rim and when I turn it it rubs against the rim, making it unusable, and since it scratched the rim, I cannot return it.

Did anyone else try to mount it on the rear? I may try and look for an offset spacer but not sure if that is going to work because it looks like I will need a fairly large one and I doubt the studs are going to be long enough. Bummer....

I never have tried it on the rear just due to the effort required to remove and reinstall lug nuts without power tools. My logic was that on the slim chance I ever do get a rear flat and want to use the spare, I can move a front wheel to the rear and put the spare on the front where I have confirmed it will fit.

I never have tried it on the rear just due to the effort required to remove and reinstall lug nuts without power tools. My logic was that on the slim chance I ever do get a rear flat and want to use the spare, I can move a front wheel to the rear and put the spare on the front where I have confirmed it will fit.

Doesn’t that require you to carry 2 jacks?

View media item 119358
To update my own situation, my wife decided to run over some nails the day after I posted this and confirmed that the spare (BMW 36116768861 purchased new 18 months ago) fits fine on the rear.

What is your mfg date? Is it a D? I have tried it twice and the caliper housing definitely scraps the inside of the rim, and it is not a light touch - I can barely turn the rim.

The rim was purchased new from FCPEuro and there was a BMW sticker showing that I had the correct part number. I am going to try a 3 or 6mm spacer to see if that will resolve the issue. I guess I could also do what ktr suggested if I got a rear flat - putting the donut on front, move front to rear but that is an added hassle...

Thanks.

Oh, you meant the car, not the BMW wheel... May 2013 rear wheel drive Model S.
Yes :)

OK. I guess there could have been changes made to the rear brake system in the 2.5 year time difference between our cars or the rim itself. Where did you find the date code? I found a "1850 21/18" stamped into the front lip of the rim. Is this what you are using?

Thanks.