Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company car - lease company and account holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

First post, please be gentle. :)

I have a M3 LR on order as a company car, with Ogilvie. When the order was placed, I was sent a link to register for a Tesla account, which I did.

The account is quite sparse, no order details, no address or payment details, etc.

My suspicion is that I've been set up as a secondary account, and that Ogilvie hold the main account, as it's their car.

Has anyone else experienced similar, either with Ogilvie, or similar corporate fleet lease (rather than private lease) arrangements?

Luke

I'm in a similar situation with Select Car Leasing, got the email to set up the account but nothing there. I do have a VIN allocated in the Select portal which is a good thing.

I asked this in another thread and someone came back and said you only get paired with the car when the company take delivery of it in your case Ogilvie

I'm in a similar situation with Select Car Leasing, got the email to set up the account but nothing there. I do have a VIN allocated in the Select portal which is a good thing.

I asked this in another thread and someone came back and said you only get paired with the car when the company take delivery of it in your case Ogilvie

Same process, account link created but nothing as the main one would be the purchaser - Leaseplan. No change other than getting a RN number since the order was placed in December - and a non committal (IE no VIN) expected delivery March.

afraid to say but that's perfectly normal.
look forward to weeks of not knowing anything until you receive a text from Tesla to pick it up.

Best option is to ask the leasing company for the RN number which is Tesla'a reservation number. Once you have this you may be able to ask Tesla for updates but again don't hold your breath!

Yes this is normal. Your tesla account page will be blank until collection, at which point the car should be switched across to you.

Tesla aren't good at keeping new customers in the loop, for lease customers its even more of a guessing game unfortunately.... As mentioned above if you can get an RN, then you will at least be able to speak to tesla on the phone to try and get more info.

It does depend on the lease company though.

I'm with Lex Autolease (via 1st Choice Vehicle Finance), and the car appeared in my Telsa account the day after I signed the lease contract. Not that it benefited me at all, it doesn't give you any more info on when the car will arrive.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It looks like there's nothing untoward then, just sat waiting for Tesla to make the next step.

The order was only placed early February, at the time, the website said March, but it doesn't sound like that's anything like a firm confirmation, from what I've read.

Interestingly, the website was showing inventory stock 'in Southampton' for quite a few model 3s over the weekend, a couple of which were the spec I have on order, so you'd hope they'd allocate to existing orders before selling as ex-stock? Looking today there's only one left...

Luke

I suspect you will get a collection date in March. If you can obtain your RN from your lease company and call Tesla on 01628 450660 they will be able to give you a lot more information, and possible a projected collection date too.

The order was only placed early February,

There have been stories on here of leasing companies taking ages to actually place an order (maybe they group them together and then haggle over discount ...). I recommend hassling company for the RN number and then, as others have said, you can phone for "what boat am I on". No guarantee that what you are told is accurate though; I have no idea why Tesla staff make-stuff-up, but it happens. So a second call a week or so later confirming the first one would be good - so long as you get a different person!

Interestingly, the website was showing inventory stock 'in Southampton' for quite a few model 3s over the weekend, a couple of which were the spec I have on order, so you'd hope they'd allocate to existing orders before selling as ex-stock?

"Stock" (being reported at this time) will be "on the boat". Probably the same boat as yours. Tesla build for stock and allocate back orders from that, so typically they have some spares amongst a single "model/colour/options" batch (probably works better on continent where they can aggregate all LHD countries). I'm not sure why they aren't just running a back-orders book, my best guess is that this "allocate close to delivery" was the solution to Delivery Hell that plagued the early days of M3 productions. But from Punter-viewpoint the old "tracked all the way from factory to delivery" has been replaced with No Info followed by an invoice saying "Payment due 7 days before collection" with a collection date under 48 hours away! (In fairness that's become rare, but I doubt many get invoices more than 7 days prior. Nightmare for Scottish folk who need invoice in good time to get ETS loan sorted out ...)

Welcome to Tesla. The car is infinitely better than their Back Office "Tesla Chaos" systems

There have been stories on here of leasing companies taking ages to actually place an order (maybe they group them together and then haggle over discount ...).

I had an email from Tesla, inviting me to register my account, within about 48 hours of the company placing the order on the lease company, and the lease company's portal is showing 'Ordered on Tesla, awaiting allocation', or similar.

So, unless the lease company gave my details to Tesla ahead of ordering, just for the hell of it, and/or they're just putting incorrect information on their portal, I'm hopeful that it really was ordered on Tesla about a month or so ago. Is that naive?

Very odd all this. I ordered a M3P in October via tusker. Within a day I had the email from Tesla. I created my account and could see a blue M3P on my homepage. I ended up cancelling and ordering a MXP - I’ve had zero contact from Tesla or tusker ragardung this other than my RN

interesting that the M3 order generated the welcome email but the MX didn’t. I’m guessing that’s because my email address is the same and that account already existed when I switched. I have no hidden VIN etc, just a VIN for a MX written off in 2018 which someone said is a placeholder