TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

company mileage

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by blobert07, Aug 1, 2015.

1. blobert07

blobert07 Member

Can someone explain how I claim company mileage, 45 ppm and 25 ppm on fuel when I don't buy fuel. ??? I can claim £7 k + a year which may help fund the car ?

2. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

if you use a privately owned vehicle for business travel you can claim per mile from your employer at 45p/25p per mile. That's not for fuel - it's for everything: depreciation, insurance, maintenance, tax (and fuel) etc. it applies irrespective of how your car is fuelled.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes true, a Leaf driving colleague was claiming the whole 45p back through his tax return.

4. smac

smac Active Member

The only minor spanner in the works is VAT reclaim from the company perspective.

Some employers like VAT receipts for the fuel portion (i.e. up to the approved company car rates, as it means they can reclaim VAT on the fuel portion.) I have heard of some people getting their claims bounced by overly strict requirements of the accounting department without fuel receipts covering this amount of VAT. :rolleyes:

This only makes it a timing issue though, as you can reclaim it at self assessment time from HMRC (as dpeilow suggests)

5. blobert07

blobert07 Member

Many thx for the clarity

6. TC56

TC56 Member

Check the rates on the HMRC website. They've changed, downwards...