Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company Registered keeper query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing this thread yesterday caused me some concern as I'm due a delivery of my Tesla next week and had a conversation with an employee a month or so ago to ensure I was the registered keeper despite my company purchasing the car.
I have spoken to Tesla this morning and after a long wait while the lasy checked with her manager, I was informed that although the company is buying the car it will be car of myself personally and that this therefore means on the V5 I will be listed as the registered keeper.

I was concerned based on this thread and I kept pushing it and was constantly reassured it would be me as registered keeper on the V5, but the wording Care of is still causing me concern. Just checking to see what others think of this explanation from Tesla. Cheers
did they say you will be the registered keeper, or it will be :-

<Company Name>
Registered care of Name: <your name>

I was told the latter some time back. just wondering if it can be directly under my name.

did they say you will be the registered keeper, or it will be :-

<Company Name>
Registered care of Name: <your name>

I was told the latter some time back. just wondering if it can be directly under my name.
They told me the same as what they told you. They did inform me that on the V5 this will translate to me personally being considered the registered keeper.

I just spoke to Admiral as well and they confirmed that if it looks like this then I would be considered the registered keeper as well, although I'm not entirely sure the lady fully understood me.

When do you collect your car?

Reactions: nscar
They told me the same as what they told you. They did inform me that on the V5 this will translate to me personally being considered the registered keeper.

I just spoke to Admiral as well and they confirmed that if it looks like this then I would be considered the registered keeper as well, although I'm not entirely sure the lady fully understood me.

Thanks. I am collecting on the 24th and I am insuring with admiral as well.
fingers crossed.

Tesla told me it will show on the V5C the registered keeper as
Company name
C/O my name

When I phoned Churchill, the lady went to check with her team, and said this means I would need to modify my insurance policy to change the Registered Keeper from 'Proposer' (i.e. me) to 'Company'. They changed it for me without any additional premium cost or admin fee.

• Informative
Reactions: nscar
Seeing this thread yesterday caused me some concern as I'm due a delivery of my Tesla next week and had a conversation with an employee a month or so ago to ensure I was the registered keeper despite my company purchasing the car.
I have spoken to Tesla this morning and after a long wait while the lasy checked with her manager, I was informed that although the company is buying the car it will be car of myself personally and that this therefore means on the V5 I will be listed as the registered keeper.

I was concerned based on this thread and I kept pushing it and was constantly reassured it would be me as registered keeper on the V5, but the wording Care of is still causing me concern. Just checking to see what others think of this explanation from Tesla. Cheers

I think it depends if you buying in cash or finance as to your options for registered keeper

You can put your name on as the registered keeper if you’re not using any finance from Tesla. If you are then your only options are just the company name or having it with the company name in the care of yourself
Yes this seems to be the case and why some people are running into this issue when others have the option to put it in personal name, makes sense as well if a company is taking out finance.

I do not believe the C/O line at the start of the address has any legal bearing on anything, and seems to be a placebo Tesla uses to get around them not registering cars properly. We had this for a while, but ended up changing the V5 properly, as it just raised too much risk with the insurance company weaselling out of paying up if something happened. At a value of almost £60k, we weren’t willing to take a risk.

If the R/K name is a company, you will need to specify that when arranging your insurance. That is my advice.

Just to add to my earlier post. As some others have said, I don't believe the care of makes a difference and with the company listed first I think it's a recipe for insurance companies to get out if paying. I didnt trust that Admiral really understood my query so I spoke to Tesla again earlier today and pushed very hard that I needed to be listed as the registered keeper personally. They continued to resist and then finally once they appreciated that I was paying cash, they agreed to make the amend to the V5.

So for anyone paying cash, I would phone up again and push this point.

You can do that however it will show the company name as well as your name so depends if you see this as technically in your name, if you change the registration form dropdown to 'one person' and enter your details that will show on the V5 as confirmed by Tesla.

The company will be the owner on the invoice if you filled in the company details when initially ordering.

Just to add to my earlier post. As some others have said, I don't believe the care of makes a difference and with the company listed first I think it's a recipe for insurance companies to get out if paying. I didnt trust that Admiral really understood my query so I spoke to Tesla again earlier today and pushed very hard that I needed to be listed as the registered keeper personally. They continued to resist and then finally once they appreciated that I was paying cash, they agreed to make the amend to the V5.

So for anyone paying cash, I would phone up again and push this point.

I am surprised if there is now no option in the dropdown to choose 'one person' which was related to the V5 document on the final stages of the order on the website

So, finally managed to talk to the customer service and he confirmed that the registration will be on just my name and not the company name followed by care of.
He also said as its a cash purchase they have more flexibility than compared to pcp etc.
About a month back I was told that this isn't possible and my only option was to have name in care of!
Glad its sorted (48 hours before delivery) and thanks for all your inputs.

So, finally managed to talk to the customer service and he confirmed that the registration will be on just my name and not the company name followed by care of.
He also said as its a cash purchase they have more flexibility than compared to pcp etc.
About a month back I was told that this isn't possible and my only option was to have name in care of!
Glad its sorted (48 hours before delivery) and thanks for all your inputs.
It's frustrating that if you speak to different people or push a bit harder, you get different responses. But to be honest, after Churchill were able to easily switch the registered keeper from me to my company, with no cost or increase in premium, I guess I don't really care any more. Whatever Tesla do, I'll tell Churchill, and they will update my policy to align with it. Glad you got yours as you wanted it though. (PS mine is on finance so maybe it is harder for whatever reason)

Reactions: Priceyrice