Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company Registered keeper query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have today received a response to my last email to Tesla explaining my displeasure at their refusal to assist with a letter. I wasn’t expecting a response, as I subsequently received a ticket closed, fill out a survey email. Anyway, they’ve provided a letter, which was added to the glovebox. However, it’s still not great, as all they’ve done is request the vehicle is registered to the company, with an additional line of C/O my wife.
Anyhoo, I already sent the V5 with a cover letter to DVLA, so I shall wait for the response.

In our case, DVLA refused to change the R/K without adding another keeper. All they agreed to do was add a C/O line, which is essentially the first line of the address.
If purchasing through a company but wish to have the R/K a person, you need to make sure you get in touch with Tesla and get them to confirm the R/K details they will register (despite what you put in during the order process and what it showed on the order page).

So intercepting the order with a personal name didn't work? I take it you wanted the V5 in the personal name and not company?
Apologies, what I wrote Thursday was complete rubbish. We were on a ferry after a long day, I think my brain went on strike.

So, the reality is that tesla will by default register a company car on the v5 in the name of the company. That is what happened on my first M3 in 2019.

Shortly after taking delivery in 2019 I applied to dvla to change the keeper to me personally but that meant I was then second keeper on the V5. Not ideal, but turned out ok as tesla took the 2019 car as trade in for almost zero loss after 18 months.

For my second model 3, in 2021, however, I had learned from experience that you had to push quite hard to have company car purchase to be registered on the v5 as a named individual. So, about 2 weeks before delivery I phoned Tesla and made clear I wanted the v5 in my name. Tesla would not do this without written confirmation so I then emailed Tesla at the address they gave me in the telephone call.

Shortly afterwards my order page on the web site changed as above to show instructions to register the car in my name instead of the company name.

Sure enough, v5c came a week after delivery in my name while the Invoice remained in company name.

Bearing in mind that the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner then this made the insurance, as a personal policy in my name, with my NCB, but paid by the company far easier.

Reactions: Cardo
Apologies, what I wrote Thursday was complete rubbish. We were on a ferry after a long day, I think my brain went on strike.

So, the reality is that tesla will by default register a company car on the v5 in the name of the company. That is what happened on my first M3 in 2019.

Shortly after taking delivery in 2019 I applied to dvla to change the keeper to me personally but that meant I was then second keeper on the V5. Not ideal, but turned out ok as tesla took the 2019 car as trade in for almost zero loss after 18 months.

For my second model 3, in 2021, however, I had learned from experience that you had to push quite hard to have company car purchase to be registered on the v5 as a named individual. So, about 2 weeks before delivery I phoned Tesla and made clear I wanted the v5 in my name. Tesla would not do this without written confirmation so I then emailed Tesla at the address they gave me in the telephone call.

Shortly afterwards my order page on the web site changed as above to show instructions to register the car in my name instead of the company name.

Sure enough, v5c came a week after delivery in my name while the Invoice remained in company name.

Bearing in mind that the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner then this made the insurance, as a personal policy in my name, with my NCB, but paid by the company far easier.
Thank you. That's makes more sense! Glad it worked for you. I am considering a model Y as Ltd Company purchase but with myself (director) as RK.

I ran an insurance quote as an individual and Company RK. The difference was £2000 which made the Model Y unaffordable and totally wiped out any tax benefits.

Now if I can get RK that puts the MY back in the running.

Another qn please....if the individual is the RK, can the maintenance costs ie insurance, service etc go under the company books or does this now shift to the individual?

Thank you. That's makes more sense! Glad it worked for you. I am considering a model Y as Ltd Company purchase but with myself (director) as RK.

I ran an insurance quote as an individual and Company RK. The difference was £2000 which made the Model Y unaffordable and totally wiped out any tax benefits.

Now if I can get RK that puts the MY back in the running.

Another qn please....if the individual is the RK, can the maintenance costs ie insurance, service etc go under the company books or does this now shift to the individual?
As long as the car is owned by the company, the company covers the costs. This is how we have it set up.

In my experience, the insurance company likes the car to be registered in your name, not the company's. This way it is simpler to take out a personal policy instead of an expensive company policy and maintain your no-claims discount. Also, legally, the car is not a pool car, so it should be registered to the individual.

The registered keeper on the V5 certificate is not the leagl owner.
My LV insurance policy is worded such that I am the registered keeper and the car is owned by a company.

As discussed above, Tesla by default put the company name on the V5 which is a real PITA, even when an indivicual is listed in the registration detais on the web page. I learned this the hard way in 2019 when I got my M3 then, I changed the keeper but then DVLA listed it as a change of keeper on the V5, which is less than ideal because that is misleading.

Not wanting to fall into this trap again when I collected my M3 LR last week, I phoned Tesla a week befopre delivery and told them I wanted to be the registered keeper, to which they wanted an email request to that effect, which I supplied.

This is how my order page looked a week before delivery:

View attachment 647780

For those ordering company cars, check you get the REGISTER PERSONALLY bit on the order page if you want your name on the V5.

I haven't received my V5 yet though so not certain this has worked, but looks promising from the registration application in my account.
updated the reg details online - just to confirm did you write your name instead of the REGISTER PERSONALLY line?

updated the reg details online - just to confirm did you write your name instead of the REGISTER PERSONALLY line?
No, on the order page on my order it actually said REGISTER PERSONALLY.
I think Tesla actually do the registration on the day of delivery or the day before, but will put the company name on by default unless it is marked as personal.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I just went on the chat to make sure they put me as the registered keeper and they told me they have to have the company as the registered keeper as it’s being financed through Black Horse. Are they chatting rubbish or is that really the case?

I just went on the chat to make sure they put me as the registered keeper and they told me they have to have the company as the registered keeper as it’s being financed through Black Horse. Are they chatting rubbish or is that really the case?
well if your financing it, how do we know your going to change it back to leasing company or new user once your payments are done and you return it?
its a different story if bought outright..

No, on the order page on my order it actually said REGISTER PERSONALLY.
I think Tesla actually do the registration on the day of delivery or the day before, but will put the company name on by default unless it is marked as personal.
Yes seems to be easier now as new orders now when they get to the 'registration details' you can enter either company or one person and it mentions that this is the data for the V5, when choosing company it does say there is an option for C/O as well incase a person wanted to use that method

Reactions: curmudgeon
Looking to double check that what I’ve done is correct, based on the advice I emailed Tesla and asked them to change the ‘Registration Details’ to show me personally as the registered keeper.

I’m buying the Y with cash through my LTD company, my insurance quotes are based on the company owning the car and me being the registered keeper. Previously on my Tesla account it showed my name, company name, home address (where company is registered) under the ‘Registration Details’, but now that it’s updated it just shows my name and home address. Is this still ok for HMRC in putting the purchase through as a business allowance?