Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Company Registered keeper query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to double check that what I’ve done is correct, based on the advice I emailed Tesla and asked them to change the ‘Registration Details’ to show me personally as the registered keeper.

I’m buying the Y with cash through my LTD company, my insurance quotes are based on the company owning the car and me being the registered keeper. Previously on my Tesla account it showed my name, company name, home address (where company is registered) under the ‘Registration Details’, but now that it’s updated it just shows my name and home address. Is this still ok for HMRC in putting the purchase through as a business allowance?
If you entered the business details on the original order ie booking invoice and order agreement it should show these on the final invoice, the registration details are meant to be for the V5 only in theory.

That’s what I thought from what I’ve read, but I’ve also asked my accountant and waiting for a response. I’ll update when I find out confirmation
The problem with accountants is sometimes they just give the same blanket answers rather than consider the real world implications, the important part is the invoice is to the business.

Last edited:
If you entered the business details on the original order ie booking invoice and order agreement it should show these on the final invoice, the registration details are meant to be for the V5 only in theory.

The problem with accountants is sometimes they just give the same blanket answers rather than consider the real world implications, the important part is the invoice is to the business.
I just received the final invoice addressed to my company after updating the Registration Details so hopefully my accountant says it’s all good based on that

Reactions: Rooster6655
+1.
Ours was bought through the Ltd company. The registered keeper is neither here nor there.
Due to Covid I am not working in the office and put my company down but my address below it (for delivery of letters or even the tesla if they offer that service via truck)
Last thing I want to do is travel a long way just for a V5 or for it to be lost in the post somehow.
Will this be an issue?

Due to Covid I am not working in the office and put my company down but my address below it (for delivery of letters or even the tesla if they offer that service via truck)
Last thing I want to do is travel a long way just for a V5 or for it to be lost in the post somehow.
Will this be an issue?
Most people's reasoning on the V5 in personal name is for insurance purposes, so I guess it would depend on what details you put down for the insurance.

Reactions: greenbottle123
Yes seems to be easier now as new orders now when they get to the 'registration details' you can enter either company or one person and it mentions that this is the data for the V5, when choosing company it does say there is an option for C/O as well incase a person wanted to use that method
Hi I am purchasing a model y on my Ltd company. I am one of the directors of the company. To double check , to get the car in my name I.e. registered keeper, do I put my name in the “care of (optional) section “ and that will ensure the v5 document is in my personal name but the car is owned by the company? Thank you

Hi I am purchasing a model y on my Ltd company. I am one of the directors of the company. To double check , to get the car in my name I.e. registered keeper, do I put my name in the “care of (optional) section “ and that will ensure the v5 document is in my personal name but the car is owned by the company? Thank you
You can do that however it will show the company name as well as your name so depends if you see this as technically in your name, if you change the registration form dropdown to 'one person' and enter your details that will show on the V5 as confirmed by Tesla.

The company will be the owner on the invoice if you filled in the company details when initially ordering.

The purchase invoice must be in the name of the company purchasing the vehicle (to claim the tax advantages).
The V5 is not relevant to claiming the AIA.
The (V5) registered keeper is the person responsible for the vehicle, its maintenance, roadworthiness and the recipient of communications from the DVLA and emergency services such as the Police. A registered keeper should be the person who will be using the vehicle. Therefore, only an individual persons name should be seen on a V5.

Reactions: Bunes and MrBadger
You can do that however it will show the company name as well as your name so depends if you see this as technically in your name, if you change the registration form dropdown to 'one person' and enter your details that will show on the V5 as confirmed by Tesla.

The company will be the owner on the invoice if you filled in the company details when initially ordering.
Thank you

The purchase invoice must be in the name of the company purchasing the vehicle (to claim the tax advantages).
The V5 is not relevant to claiming the AIA.
The (V5) registered keeper is the person responsible for the vehicle, its maintenance, roadworthiness and the recipient of communications from the DVLA and emergency services such as the Police. A registered keeper should be the person who will be using the vehicle. Therefore, only an individual persons name should be seen on a V5.
Thank you

Reactions: TheManofMead
I was gobsmacked when they replied saying they would not assist and subsequently closed the support ticket.

We’ve still sent DVLA the V5 and a cover letter explaining the situation. Fingers crossed it’s picked up with someone with more common sense and reasonableness than Tesla.
Hi,

Did Cardo, did the DVLA confirm?

I am having the same problem however in my case it is worse - they registered a company completely unrelated, not my company and not the company that bought the vehicle.

Thanks

Hi,

I am having the same problem however in my case it is worse - they registered a company completely unrelated, not my company and not the company that bought the vehicle.

Thanks
If Tesla have put completely the wrong company on the V5 then that is not a confusion over what should be on there that is just a straight mistake on their part. Surely they are not refusing to assist in fixing that one?

Hi,

Thanks
They ended up providing a letter requesting a change of R/K without adding a previous R/K, however DVLA weren’t interested. We ended up taking the hit with the previous keeper.

In your case, Tesla have completely messed up and I would suggest you insist Tesla sort it or you’re returning the vehicle.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Contacted Tesla 3 weeks before delivery as I was sorting insurance to ask who would be the registered keeper. my company was buying the vehicle but the online portal showed me as the keeper - fine. The agent I spoke to from Tesla (called Romain) said he thought it would be me personally. Fine. I said I was about to spend £750 on insurance so was he sure. He put me on hold, then came back to confirm that I personally would be the registered keeper. Fine.. I also emailed Tesla to ask for email confirmation after reading some of these posts...... but they never responded :-(. So, onwards, Insurance purchased before collecting the car assuming that Tesla (Romain) and the Online Portal must have been correct. Ah, but no! When the V5 came through, it had the company as registered keeper. Directline said the insurance would be declined if it was a company (even though they had previously said it would be fine) - I had to find another insurance company...... . Contacted Tesla again (3 times), eventually they sent me a letter to send to the DVLA that they said would change the registered keeper - but when the letter arrived (after chasing twice), it just had Care Of and specifically said the Company was still the registered keeper. So, I then had to cancel the DirectLine insurance and go with Admiral - they were OK with having a Company as Registered Keeper - also was £200 cheaper. A right pain in the arse, wasted hours of my life...... I didn't really mind what the answer to the original question was (me personally or Company), but the answer was wrong and I had fun waiting several times to get through to Tesla / Directline / Admiral.

On the plus side - I am in love with my Tesla Y...... a thing of beauty, power and brains! Who cares about the insurance cuffufle, just a hiccup !