Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparable SUV's to X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We are in the Market for and SUV. Need to be able to transport 2 dogs, plus luggage, beach toys etc to our beach house. My wife doesn't think the X will be big enough. What is a comparable SUV to look at to show her the size on how it compares. X's are hard to find to even take a look at one. She currently has an Outback.

We could keep the S and purchase and ICE SUV but then almost defeats having the S as the SUV will become our go to for most trips. Would prefer to sell the S and go with the X but don't have her convinced. The Y is too small.

Hello,

We are in the Market for and SUV. Need to be able to transport 2 dogs, plus luggage, beach toys etc to our beach house. My wife doesn't think the X will be big enough. What is a comparable SUV to look at to show her the size on how it compares. X's are hard to find to even take a look at one. She currently has an Outback.

We could keep the S and purchase and ICE SUV but then almost defeats having the S as the SUV will become our go to for most trips. Would prefer to sell the S and go with the X but don't have her convinced. The Y is too small.
When I cross shopped Y and X was surprised at the space the Y had. They didn't have a S and have never been in one so can't compare.

Cargo space to go to our cabin was a major reason for picking the X. SO much more space than Caddy SRX it replaced. Since you have a S, you know about frunk and sub trunk storage so won't tell about, but boy do they help.

All seating choices have different cargo space but Tesla only publishes the one with the most, the 5 seater with 88 cu feet. 6 is worst as rear 2 seats don't fold flat at all. And 7 is less than 5, as the space where the 3rd seat goes is used as additional subtrunk space in the 5 seater to give most space. If don't carry 7, don't get if want most cargo space, get the 5 instead.

So if do find an X to look at, seating number will affect the cargo area.

So hard to compare by published cargo feet as all the manufacturers seem to use different standards and the spaces are all different shapes. I know our Volt had way more usable space than the published 11 cu feet should, have to assume because it's a hatch like the S.

Comperable SUVs, maybe an X5, but no ICE car has the frunk and subtrunk, so hard to make a comparison.

How big are the dogs? We take a single Golden and no kids anymore. 5 pass X had been so nice cargo wise for us, no complaints there.

Last edited:
There's size, and then there's shape. I don't think there's anything on the market comparable in shape and size except maybe the X6 or Cayenne Coupe. But because those are ICE vehicles they don't have the cargo flexibility of the X.

X is a big car by interior volume. But that's mostly roofline influenced, it's not that long, and the cargo area can be a little difficult compared to an Enclave because it's essentially a sloped hatchback, not an SUV and not even really as usable for "stacked rectangular box" cargo as a Benz E-class or Volvo V90 wagon. But the trunk well is a hugely useful tool even with our 7-seater you can fit a ton of stuff in there and then more stacked on top on the load floor/cover. Still, it's not going to carry large items as well as something with a mostly flat roof like an Enclave or an Explorer or a Tahoe. And it doesn't have a 40/20/40 center row, which means long items can be a pain the butt if you want to carry a lot of people. You can fold the 40 side and the right-side third row seat to get a decent compromise on length and still carry 4 or 5 people, but a 40/20/40 with the center folded down would be better.

The frunk is usefully large too. For the use you're describing, X has plenty of space.

The X is much, much lower than any other midsize or large crossover SUV. The door sills are lower than a Porsche Macan, which is very low for a crossover. This is a feature, if you want the driving experience and rollover risk to not suck, and a bug, if you want to clear obstacles and be able to see over things.

It's basically a wagon with tall tires and a weird roofline.

Y is significantly smaller in all dimensions than X. For carrying two adults in the back row, plus a lot of stuff, I'd pick X. For anything else, Y is probably fine because the hatch shape is more of a limiting factor on both cars than the physical size of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xeux