TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Comparing Coil vs Air suspension !

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by mochouinard, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mochouinard

mochouinard Member

Is there any video that compare the Coil vs Air suspension ? For example, follow the exact same path at same speed with a glass or water or what ever could be used to display how bump are handled.

I live in the Quebec, Canada were we do get lot of pot holes, and really bad repair works !

I'm wondering if the ride would feel more comfortable with air, or the weight of the car alone with coil give the exact same comfort.

Seem everyone only talking about the controllable height.

Also, anyone ever had issues with their air suspension so far ? That the other thing that worried me. I'm hoping to have a worry free for quite some time, and the day I do have a worries, I want my cost to be relatively low to fix it.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The only way to really tell is to test drive them both. On the boards here, you will find people that prefer one over the other (there's no clear "winner"). No video that I'm aware of that does a direct comparison.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You also have to compare them with the same tires because the tires can make just as much difference as the suspension.

4. mochouinard

mochouinard Member

Well, I've only tried the P85. Not sure which wheel size it had too. But the crappy road surface didn't really took much of my attention... Only was enjoying the acceleration. When I got back in my basic ICE car, I felt like the road were in a pretty bad shape. Now maybe it was due to the crappy suspension I have in my car, or the fact that the air suspension is amazing.

But I didn't hear much from people about how comfortable the Air vs Coil are ! Some said it was more floating, other said cornering is better... But that about it.

I would rather get the Coil if it mean having less cost in 10 year to fix... And not limit me from driving because there is a air leak ! Also the resell value of a Tesla with air suspension will probably be lower because of the expected cost to fix them once the warranty is over.

But I don't want to sacrifice comfort if it significant !

5. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

I went with coil and love it. This after owning a Lexus and a BMW with adjustable suspensions. I think there is one benefit to the air suspension, and that is self-levelling. But to me the added complexity and cost is not worth it.

6. LarryC

LarryC Member

I had the chance to test drive air and coil S85s twice before I ordered my car back in April. IMO, the air suspension is a smoother, cushier ride but also has a bit less road feel, though not by much, and about what I would expect from a well designed air suspension. The coil system is a bit stiffer for a slightly harsher ride but has more road-driver feedback and seemed more lively, also as I would have expected. After 9 years of racing formula cars, I'm a die hard "road feel" kind of guy so the choice was inevitable for me, but as a day-to-day business commuter, I thought long and hard about the comfortableness of the air suspension. In the end, both gave excellent feel and I did factor in the possible repair costs of the air system (I previously owned an SL500 so I am still a bit gun shy over Mercedes' suspension components cost).