Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Coil vs Air suspension !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any video that compare the Coil vs Air suspension ? For example, follow the exact same path at same speed with a glass or water or what ever could be used to display how bump are handled.

I live in the Quebec, Canada were we do get lot of pot holes, and really bad repair works !

I'm wondering if the ride would feel more comfortable with air, or the weight of the car alone with coil give the exact same comfort.

Seem everyone only talking about the controllable height.

Also, anyone ever had issues with their air suspension so far ? That the other thing that worried me. I'm hoping to have a worry free for quite some time, and the day I do have a worries, I want my cost to be relatively low to fix it.

Well, I've only tried the P85. Not sure which wheel size it had too. But the crappy road surface didn't really took much of my attention... Only was enjoying the acceleration. When I got back in my basic ICE car, I felt like the road were in a pretty bad shape. Now maybe it was due to the crappy suspension I have in my car, or the fact that the air suspension is amazing.

But I didn't hear much from people about how comfortable the Air vs Coil are ! Some said it was more floating, other said cornering is better... But that about it.

I would rather get the Coil if it mean having less cost in 10 year to fix... And not limit me from driving because there is a air leak ! Also the resell value of a Tesla with air suspension will probably be lower because of the expected cost to fix them once the warranty is over.

But I don't want to sacrifice comfort if it significant !

I had the chance to test drive air and coil S85s twice before I ordered my car back in April. IMO, the air suspension is a smoother, cushier ride but also has a bit less road feel, though not by much, and about what I would expect from a well designed air suspension. The coil system is a bit stiffer for a slightly harsher ride but has more road-driver feedback and seemed more lively, also as I would have expected. After 9 years of racing formula cars, I'm a die hard "road feel" kind of guy so the choice was inevitable for me, but as a day-to-day business commuter, I thought long and hard about the comfortableness of the air suspension. In the end, both gave excellent feel and I did factor in the possible repair costs of the air system (I previously owned an SL500 so I am still a bit gun shy over Mercedes' suspension components cost).