Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Model S with E 43 AMG. Have to wait a bit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is bland and the E class isn't? Really? I don't think you need a car buddy, you need an optometrist. My mother had an E class. It is inferior in almost every way to the Model S. The E class door panels are covered in plastic made to look like leather, the Model S is plastic and leather. (The suspension in the E is slightly better).
Design is in the eye of the person. 2017 E class interior is awesome. It was not good in old versions.

I used to have an E55 AMG - it was definitely near the top of the list of favorite cars I've ever owned. Once you're up into the AMG models, the MB interiors are top notch.

They seem to be diluting things a bit with the "baby" AMG's like the E43 - although in terms of the interior, I sat in one at this year's auto show and it was quite nice. But IMHO it's a bit odd what they're doing. I would put the E43 at the bottom of the performance envelope I would expect from an E-class AMG, and the E63 is on the other end of the spectrum, ridiculously fast. Sort of a 75D/90D to P100D spectrum, just between these two cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: pjoseph
My 2nd attempt to buy the Model S 90D failed. I could not convince myself yet to buy a MS. I am holding Mercedes E 43 AMG as the benchmark car.
Below is the comparison based on my experience. Model S falls short. I might need a push from you all if I am to buy an MS.
Abbreviation for Merc E class. will be "ME".

Advantages of MS:
Torque: 0-60 for ME is 4.5 sec and MS is 4.2. The instant torque of an EV gives a MUCH better experience and there is no turbo lag.

Autopilot: Tesla will have a better autopilot. ME has some safety features related to Autopilot like auto breaking and lane keeping, but not as good as MS. For convenience and active safety MS is better

Apps: Tesla's mobile app is and other apps built using Tesla's API are much better than Merc.

Interface: I like the screens and touch based interface of MS

Exterior looks: MS looks good. I like the nose and real tail lights.

3 year cost to own: Maintenance cost and depreciation is less for MS.

Disadvantages of MS:
Charging: Note: I don't have home charging. Have to charge at work or in Superchargers. The frequency of charging is high because the rage of a fully charged MS is lesser than a fully fueled ME. Range of MS is just 58% of ME. Charging duration for MS to 80% is 800% slower than fueling ME even by using a super charger. Charging to 100% is 1500% slower than ME. Availability of charging stations are not as good as gas stations. Charging within a destination city is MUCH shower (Only NEMA / Chademo) than superchargers.

Safety Rating
: 2017 MS is rated lower than 2016 ME overall in the IIHS website.

Interior Design: The interior design of ME is beautiful and elegant. MS is too bland for my taste. Also no door storage in MS.

Cabin Noise & Ride Quality: Cabin noise in MS is higher than ME. I drove on the same road at the same speed with a sound meter app on my phone. MS was 6 dB louder. ME also had a smoother ride.

Features: Features like ventilated seats not available in MS

Build Quality: Panel gaps, interior finishing and materials choice, trim alignment etc are not very good in MS.

Audio: Premium audio in MS not as punchy and detailed as ME

Price: The price for both cars as configured is: MS - 106,800, ME - 89,155

Overall I think MS scores a bit less than ME. I am willing to wait several months for MS to catch up. Specifically in areas of charging speed, cabin noise and build quality. Hopefully the price comes down when 2170 battery cells are used for MS.

I have both an MB E55 and a S100D (which has essentially the same measurables as a S90D, other than range.. I love my MB E55 and am actually keeping it for trips where charging would be necessary but inconvenient.

That said, have you actually driven the MB E AMG and the S90D. The MB does not hold a candle to the S100D in either performance, handling, driving comfort or just plain fun.

Both the MB E55 (which is faster than the E65) and the S100D are rated at 4.2 seconds for 0-60, but the S100D is much quicker than the MB E55, which has to wait for the superchargers to react and the car to gear down. The power in the MS 100D is instantaneous at all speeds, and the torque is thrilling.

The S100D handles around curves better than the MB E55 because of a lower center of gravity. The E55 is essentially a straight line point A to point B car (unlike the BMW M5).

The feature the S100D has that the MB can't even approach is Enhanced AutoPilot. Even in its current beta state, it is far superior to anything MB has, and EAP will soon be on the way to full self drive. Tesla is light years ahead in autopilot and self drive capability.

As far as exterior appeal goes, the exterior of the S100D is the most stylish and remarkable of any sedans made in the world, far superior IMHO to the E65.

As far as the interior goes, I strongly disagree that the E55 is quieter to drive than the S100D. The engine noise in the E55 is intentionally very loud.

I will give you that the MS 100D interior is more spartan than the E55, but no less comfortable.

The Tesla touch screen and controls are far more user friendly and intuitive than the MB controls.

I expect in the long term, the MB will be more expensive to drive due to the cost of gas and to maintain. Something is always breaking or needs replacing on a MB, and MB service is eyewateringly expensive.

Finally, a S100D can not only go zero to sixty in 4.2 seconds, it can go zero emissions while still outperforming the MB E AMG by every measurable. Do something good for Mother Earth and still get a grin every time you drive your Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
we had an E63 AMG. great car, beautiful interior, perfect build quality, awesome power, excellent service, etc etc. no complaints other than the cost to refuel.

but ever since moving over to a model S, the overall benefits and experience outweigh the mercedes (even when we had "just" an S60). that said, i agree 100% with the posters above - not having home charging takes away one of the key benefits of owning a tesla. although if you only drive 300 mi a month maybe it doesn't matter as much ... but it's a great feeling and something we now take for granted. i HATE going to the gas station with our other car, a mercedes GL550 (which we also love), but that one only gets refueled every 3-4 weeks since we've had a tesla.

we have solar too, and with time of use pricing, we pay nothing to drive 15,000 miles per year on our tesla. pretty amazing. we never charge publicly, only at home.

i love our tesla but if i lived in an apartment/condo that didn't support overnight charging, i am not sure i'd make the extra effort to make it work. i just don't have the time or patience with little ones at home! just my honest opinion and $0.02 :)

I have both an MB E55 and a S100D (which has essentially the same measurables as a S90D, other than range.. I love my MB E55 and am actually keeping it for trips where charging would be necessary but inconvenient.

That said, have you actually driven the MB E AMG and the S90D. The MB does not hold a candle to the S100D in either performance, handling, driving comfort or just plain fun.

Both the MB E55 (which is faster than the E65) and the S100D are rated at 4.2 seconds for 0-60, but the S100D is much quicker than the MB E55, which has to wait for the superchargers to react and the car to gear down. The power in the MS 100D is instantaneous at all speeds, and the torque is thrilling.

The S100D handles around curves better than the MB E55 because of a lower center of gravity. The E55 is essentially a straight line point A to point B car (unlike the BMW M5).

The feature the S100D has that the MB can't even approach is Enhanced AutoPilot. Even in its current beta state, it is far superior to anything MB has, and EAP will soon be on the way to full self drive. Tesla is light years ahead in autopilot and self drive capability.

As far as exterior appeal goes, the exterior of the S100D is the most stylish and remarkable of any sedans made in the world, far superior IMHO to the E65.

As far as the interior goes, I strongly disagree that the E55 is quieter to drive than the S100D. The engine noise in the E55 is intentionally very loud.

I will give you that the MS 100D interior is more spartan than the E55, but no less comfortable.

The Tesla touch screen and controls are far more user friendly and intuitive than the MB controls.

I expect in the long term, the MB will be more expensive to drive due to the cost of gas and to maintain. Something is always breaking or needs replacing on a MB, and MB service is eyewateringly expensive.

Finally, a S100D can not only go zero to sixty in 4.2 seconds, it can go zero emissions while still outperforming the MB E AMG by every measurable. Do something good for Mother Earth and still get a grin every time you drive your Tesla.
Other than cabin noise everything what you said is what I said. So, I agree. I said MB is better when it comes to material chose, build quality, Sound system etc.

Just to state the facts. The standard seats in an E are MBTex which is vinyl "leather", although most people including most owners think it is real leather. It's synthetic like the white "vegan leather" or "Pleather" in the Tesla but the Mercedes MBTex is incredibly durable and has been around for decades to prove it, most likely the reason they use it in the base volume model. Keep in mind the simulated leather is included in the E, it's $3,300 in the Tesla. The Tesla uses cloth seats as standard and the upgrade to leather cost is more than the upgrade to leather in the E class. Alcantara is trendy "fake suede", I think it's nice, and comes in the true AMG models but those are very high priced, more comparable to the Tesla pricing, and nowhere as common as the standard lower priced E class. Not sure in what way the Tesla leather is better that the MB leather but that is very questionable. Just to add the Tesla Alcantara headliner comes with the $3,300 seats, cloth is standard, I'm glad I paid for the Alcantara but it's not standard.

Mercedes has different grades of leather. The base models have plastic MB tex seats, the upgraded leather is a cost option on lower and standard on the better engines, but it is rubbish, hard leather. To get the nice soft Nappa leather you have to pay for the Designo package or buy a top of the range model, and it is certainly more than the $3300 Tesla upgrade. I think here in Australia a Designo interior is about $20k. This gives you the same leather quality as the Tesla leather option. Even the mighty E63 comes with MBtex and Alcantara mix on the seats. I'll say it again, the standard E class interior is pretty rubbish, it's only when you start spending big bucks on it to match the press car specs do you get a really nice quality interior.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
The materials are the same or worse. It's in your head. Build quality is better in the Benz. The Harmon Kadon stereo in my Mum's Benz E
Is rubbish.
It's pretty standard knowledge that even the Tesla premium sound system is not good. MBtex is also fake leather just like the White fake leather in the Tesla. Your idea that an E63 comes with MBtex surfaces is wrong, at least here in the US unless they only sell higher quality here in the US. Designo Interiors are on another much higher level not offered in a Tesla so they are not fair to compare. Tesla leather does feel nice but it's no secret if you read the posts here that it doesn't hold up very well. Mine is like most others and has perminant creases after only a couple weeks light use, that's not up to Mercedes standards, not even close. We had some wear marks on a 3 year old BMW recently and BMW replaced the leather. BMW takes fit and finish seriously and stands behind their products. I asked Tesla if they would fix the heavy wear on the edge of the front seat of an X P90DL inventory car ($140K +) with only 300 miles and they said no, that's normal wear and to be expected. That's an example of sub par materials and not just in anyone's head. It's no secret that Tesla uses sub par quality materials and have sub standard fit and finish, that is not why people buy Teslas but it is still a fact. They are a new company and they are still learning and building a network, give them another 10-15 years they will have probably caught up with the 100 year old auto builders.

Last edited:
I owned a GL450 (just sold it) and occasionally get new to new-ish Mercedes loaners. It is totally in people's heads that the materials or the interior is better in a Mercedes. Further, the ergonomics and controls are still a disaster in comparison. And if you spend any time on Mercedes forums, the "build quality" has been going down for decades. Now, Tesla's initial quality is not good... probably on par with older Jags and current BMW 5 series. But most of it is minor trim issues and not major functional items, except maybe door handles. Annoying, yes. Definitely helps if you have an awesome Tesla Ranger that can sort things out.

I owned a GL450 (just sold it) and occasionally get new to new-ish Mercedes loaners. It is totally in people's heads that the materials or the interior is better in a Mercedes. Further, the ergonomics and controls are still a disaster in comparison. And if you spend any time on Mercedes forums, the "build quality" has been going down for decades. Now, Tesla's initial quality is not good... probably on par with older Jags and current BMW 5 series. But most of it is minor trim issues and not major functional items, except maybe door handles. Annoying, yes. Definitely helps if you have an awesome Tesla Ranger that can sort things out.
You say Tesla build quality is on par with a BMW 5 series? Have you looked at a new 5 series? The Tesla fit and finish is similar to old Soviet era cars, almost unbelievable. l had to finish putting the mesh covering together correctly under our Premium front seats, panel gaps are so bad the cars look like high school shop students assembled the cars. Mercedes owner forums may have complaints but that is due to higher standard being expected, the MB or BMW cars sold in the US have incredible build quality. We have a list of items to be addressed on our 3 month old X while zero defects so far on our 3 year old E class.

Last edited:
It's pretty standard knowledge that even the Tesla premium sound system is not good. MBtex is also fake leather just like the White fake leather in the Tesla. Your idea that an E63 comes with MBtex surfaces is wrong, at least here in the US unless they only sell higher quality here in the US. Designo Interiors are on another much higher level not offered in a Tesla so they are not fair to compare. Tesla leather does feel nice but it's no secret if you read the posts here that it doesn't hold up very well. Mine is like most others and has perminant creases after only a couple weeks light use, that's not up to Mercedes standards, not even close. We had some wear marks on a 3 year old BMW recently and BMW replaced the leather. BMW takes fit and finish seriously and stands behind their products. I asked Tesla if they would fix the heavy wear on the edge of the front seat of an X P90DL inventory car ($140K +) with only 300 miles and they said no, that's normal wear and to be expected. That's an example of sub par materials and not just in anyone's head. It's no secret that Tesla uses sub par quality materials and have sub standard fit and finish, that is not why people buy Teslas but it is still a fact. They are a new company and they are still learning and building a network, give them another 10-15 years they will have probably caught up with the 100 year old auto builders.

My mistake, the E63 does come with real leather, the E43 does not come with real leather.

8:03

The Designo interiors are fair to compare, because the non Designo Mercedes leather is rubbish. It feels like a leather jacket you buy at a market, its that stiff. Designo leather is very similar to the Nappa used in the Model S. (Depending on the model, sometimes they quilt it, ohhhh). You seem to be very fixated on smoke and mirrors. 'Oh the leather has diamond shapes sewn into it, it must be better'.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt
You say Tesla build quality is on par with a BMW 5 series? Have you looked at a new 5 series? The Tesla fit and finish is similar to old Soviet era cars, almost unbelievable. l had to finish putting the mesh covering together correctly under our Premium front seats, panel gaps are so bad the cars look like high school shop students assembled the cars. Mercedes owner forums may have complaints but that is due to higher standard being expected, the MB or BMW cars sold in the US have incredible build quality. We have a list of items to be addressed on our 3 month old X while zero defects so far on our 3 year old E class.

I'd suggest you save your time here. You've tried enough. Im totally with you and your objective opinion, which is scarce here.

And to those who insist on they are not comparable. The OP is not a media that has to do the cars being compared justice. As long as they are in his consideration, even it's a boat VS a car, they are comparable! There's difference between the standpoints from media and consumers.

AMG E43 has pickup truck fuel economy and sports car range. It has neither the most powerful engine in it's class, nor the best interior.

It has less performance than a 1998 Firebird. The ante for luxury high performance sedans today is about 600hp. 397 horsepower is not something that should have AMG badging on it.

AMG E43 has pickup truck fuel economy and sports car range. It has neither the most powerful engine in it's class, nor the best interior.

It has less performance than a 1998 Firebird. The ante for luxury performance sedans today is about 600hp. 397 horsepower is not something that should have AMG badging on it.
not only that it is built on a C class chasis, C class is the "entry" level MB.
or like my sons once noted when we were given a C class as a loaner, "the C stands for cheap and cramped:"
I don't care how much lipstick AMG puts onto that pig, when it is all said and done it is still a pig.

Benz is a nice manufacturer but their lack of EV commitment means they have no superchargers even if they do make an electric without Tesla's help. I'm glad I have a model S and I owned an EV in Chicago with only 110V available to me and it was fine. Once I got a house and a L2 charger though it was easier to take longer and or many trips during weekends without needing long layovers at home or visiting a charger. I've never even thought about ice after that, no matter how nice.

Any home charging is sufficient given OP's limited commute. Work charging is the same as home except OP has a bit of competition. OP's usage is so small he'd just need the work charger 2 times a week to ensure need around 90% headed into the weekend. With a 100D that's about 300 miles of range. I'm guessing OP will really not need home charging.

As far as materials and build quality -- that's so subjective it isn't worth debating. My wife and I like the Tesla interior and that's all that matters. OP prefers Benz. So that's what matters to him -- its not really a debatable point due to subjectivity.

It always boils down to a moral choice for me. Buying an ICE car is like slapping my kids each time I turn on that engine. We have only 1 atmosphere and we can't fix it without making better personal decisions.

My 2nd attempt to buy the Model S 90D failed. I could not convince myself yet to buy a MS. I am holding Mercedes E 43 AMG as the benchmark car.
Below is the comparison based on my experience. Model S falls short. I might need a push from you all if I am to buy an MS.
Abbreviation for Merc E class. will be "ME".

Disadvantages of MS:
Charging: Having home charging is what makes me love the Model S so much. So much better than weekly gas station visits. So for me it's: Advantage MS
Safety Rating: MS is the safest car ever made. Advantage MS
Interior Design
: To each his own. Tie
Cabin Noise & Ride Quality
: After home charging, my second favorite feature is the fact that the MS is so much more quiet than any ICE car including the ME. Advantage MS
Features
: The dozens of other advantages override the lack of ventilated seats. Advantage MS
Build Quality
: No problems with mine. Tie
Audio
: I mainly listen to one of thousands of podcasts, so I'd rather have choices than high fidelity. The media console on the ME is one of the worst I've ever used. Advantage MS.

My mistake, the E63 does come with real leather, the E43 does not come with real leather.

8:03

The Designo interiors are fair to compare, because the non Designo Mercedes leather is rubbish. It feels like a leather jacket you buy at a market, its that stiff. Designo leather is very similar to the Nappa used in the Model S. (Depending on the model, sometimes they quilt it, ohhhh). You seem to be very fixated on smoke and mirrors. 'Oh the leather has diamond shapes sewn into it, it must be better'.
You are wrong again, why don't you just quit? Unless they offer different lower level packages in other markets the standard seats in an E43 only come in Nappa leather, the only choice in the standard seat is which of the 4 colors you want, and I just confirmed that on the MBUSA website. Not sure what your mothers car has in it but I'm done wasting my time. I have both cars, all I'm saying is that the Mercedes is far better built but our Tesla is a different driving experience that I also enjoy despite its quality faults and I have driven the Tesla more over the last 3 months of ownership.

You are wrong again, why don't you just quit? Unless they offer different lower level packages in other markets the standard seats in an E43 only come in Nappa leather, the only choice in the standard seat is which of the 4 colors you want, and I just confirmed that on the MBUSA website. Not sure what your mothers car has in it but I'm done wasting my time. I have both cars, all I'm saying is that the Mercedes is far better built but our Tesla is a different driving experience that I also enjoy despite its quality faults and I have driven the Tesla more over the last 3 months of ownership.

But if you have the $90k for the AMG E43 with options, there are better ways to spend your ICE money. And Benz's best electric propulsion version has... A Tesla Luxury EV Power System.

Fancy that...

But $90k for a midsized 4 door without all wheel steering and world class sound system and power REAR seats? Not that good of a buy. It's not really an AMG, it just has the badge.

But never discount the Badge as being a critical luxury feature. It's cheaper to glue a piece of artwork on a car than to make it fast or luxurious.

So I posted evidence in the form of a video with a time stamp, and you posted opinion with a vague Refernce to the Mercedes website, and I'm the one whose wrong?

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt