Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Model Y Interior Noise with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

With the Model Y coming with the larger profile of an SUV, some are curious if it will also have more interior noise than the Model 3 sedan.

TMC member Nakk decide to bring a decibel meter along for rides in his 2020 Long Range AWD Model 3 and 2020 Performance Model Y.

Here’s what he found:

I just did a couple of test drives to compare sound levels. I used a decibel meter to measure sound levels on identical stretches of road with identical conditions.The 3 has nearly new Michelin Cross Climate+ 235/45-18 on TSportline 18″ rims. These tires are very quiet and have great rolling resistance. I typically get the same energy consumption with this setup as with the stock rims & tires with aero hubcaps. The back seats were up.The Y is a brand new Performance model with the stock 21″ rims and tires. The back seats were down. These tires are probably louder than the Cross Climates on the 3.Sound levels averaged 2db quieter in the Y. The Y varied, depending on the road surface, from 0 to 3 Db quieter than the 3. It’s my guess that the average is about 2Db quieter. Most surfaces seemed to be right around 2.

Other new Model Y owners also praised the Model Y for a quiet ride.

TMC member J593 experienced “much less wind noise” and SFLKiting found less noise in the new Model Y than in his wife’s Model 3 with aero wheels.

TMC member Georgia_Y, however, wasn’t impressed with the cabin noise:

On the way back from getting my Y, I took to interstate for about 10 miles. The interior noise was higher than I expected and worse than anything I’ve driven in awhile. That partially could be that our BMW that we took to get it is very quiet, even with 21″ performance tires. It however is probably not loud enough to be a deal breaker as I quickly adjust.

Have a new Model Y? What’s your take on the noise level?