Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing my 2022 Model Y RWD with my 2021 Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst sitting behind the driver's wheel of the MY you could almost swear that you're in the M3, the differences between the two are quite pronounced to the point of which they both have very different personalities and are very successful at serving different functions.

I took delivery my SR+ in mid November 2021, and have since driven 10,000kms. Most trips have been around Sydney, and it's taken me and the family to Canberra (twice) and Melbourne. In that time I've gotten to know the Model 3 SR+ very well, and so when I took delivery of my Model Y RWD yesterday the differences almost immediately started to become apparent.

Lets start with the one that has been the biggest surprise, which is the MY's ride. It has definitely had its ride softened compared to the demonstrator MY RWD that I test drove in June 2022. Even on 19" wheels it is noticeably more comfortable than my SR+ on 18" wheels. The MY has the ability to soak up the initial road imperfection, and is much better than an SR+ on either a pothole or a speed hump. For me it's at the sweet spot of a comfortable ride but with enough firmness in it to make it fun.

Handling however is where you cannot escape the laws of physics, and I was caught a little surprised throwing the MY into a fast sweeper with the kind of vigour that the M3 encourages. The higher centre of gravity with the softer ride send an clear message on early turn in that it's not going to deliver the M3's handling heroics, but for a family sized SUV it acquits itself very, very well. Where the M3 confidently sits flat on its Michelins and attacks a corner, the initial weight transfer of the MY's high centre of gravity reminds you that this a car for carting the kids around, not for go karting.

The weight and heft of the MY is another thing that becomes immediately apparent. You feel it when looking for a sudden change of direction, which happens a fraction slower than an M3. You feel it with the regen taking longer to slow the mass of the MY down. The size of the MY is most apparent in the back seat where it feels like a car from the class above to the M3, similar to the way the 5 series is bigger to 3 series.

Continuing the theme of size, the MY is an M3 with +20% size, but with 80% of the performance. I noticed that I was happy to drive the MY in traffic on Standard, whereas I always commute in the M3 in Chill in order to take the edge off the Unicorn's thump. The MY is certainly slower than my M3, but it never felt slow. For a family car that can do everything a young family requires, it also delivers enough instant performance to deliver a smile. For the trade off in ride and handling which hits the sweet spot for me, Telsa have also given the MY RWD plenty of performance, but not enough that it overwhelms the package.

I'm no audiophile, but even I could tell the difference between the MY's premium sound system compared to the M3's, which up until this point I was more than happy with. Put simply, it sounds superb. Speaking of sounds, the MY has a noticeably louder motor whine than the M3. The "REEEEEEE" sounds great when you're asking it to give you everything, and I can only speculate that it's an unexpected bonus of not having a parcel shelf. "REEEEEEEE" :)

So two very similar cars, with two very different purposes. The M3 remains a sport sedan in the classic BMW 3 series mould, the driver's choice for a focused drive. The MY is more of an all rounder, from the moment that you easily slide into the drivers seat and realise that it doesn't need Easy Entry enable. It's compromises are around comfort and giving you maximum flexibility. The MY is just easy to live with. If you could only have one Tesla to serve all purposes and give you maximum lifestyle flexibility, the MY would be it. I'm fortunate to have both the M3 and MY, and I can see myself choosing to drive either on different days as they deliver two different answers to different sets of requirements.

Whilst sitting behind the driver's wheel of the MY you could almost swear that you're in the M3, the differences between the two are quite pronounced to the point of which they both have very different personalities and are very successful at serving different functions.

I took delivery my SR+ in mid November 2021, and have since driven 10,000kms. Most trips have been around Sydney, and it's taken me and the family to Canberra (twice) and Melbourne. In that time I've gotten to know the Model 3 SR+ very well, and so when I took delivery of my Model Y RWD yesterday the differences almost immediately started to become apparent.

Lets start with the one that has been the biggest surprise, which is the MY's ride. It has definitely had its ride softened compared to the demonstrator MY RWD that I test drove in June 2022. Even on 19" wheels it is noticeably more comfortable than my SR+ on 18" wheels. The MY has the ability to soak up the initial road imperfection, and is much better than an SR+ on either a pothole or a speed hump. For me it's at the sweet spot of a comfortable ride but with enough firmness in it to make it fun.

Handling however is where you cannot escape the laws of physics, and I was caught a little surprised throwing the MY into a fast sweeper with the kind of vigour that the M3 encourages. The higher centre of gravity with the softer ride send an clear message on early turn in that it's not going to deliver the M3's handling heroics, but for a family sized SUV it acquits itself very, very well. Where the M3 confidently sits flat on its Michelins and attacks a corner, the initial weight transfer of the MY's high centre of gravity reminds you that this a car for carting the kids around, not for go karting.

The weight and heft of the MY is another thing that becomes immediately apparent. You feel it when looking for a sudden change of direction, which happens a fraction slower than an M3. You feel it with the regen taking longer to slow the mass of the MY down. The size of the MY is most apparent in the back seat where it feels like a car from the class above to the M3, similar to the way the 5 series is bigger to 3 series.

Continuing the theme of size, the MY is an M3 with +20% size, but with 80% of the performance. I noticed that I was happy to drive the MY in traffic on Standard, whereas I always commute in the M3 in Chill in order to take the edge off the Unicorn's thump. The MY is certainly slower than my M3, but it never felt slow. For a family car that can do everything a young family requires, it also delivers enough instant performance to deliver a smile. For the trade off in ride and handling which hits the sweet spot for me, Telsa have also given the MY RWD plenty of performance, but not enough that it overwhelms the package.

I'm no audiophile, but even I could tell the difference between the MY's premium sound system compared to the M3's, which up until this point I was more than happy with. Put simply, it sounds superb. Speaking of sounds, the MY has a noticeably louder motor whine than the M3. The "REEEEEEE" sounds great when you're asking it to give you everything, and I can only speculate that it's an unexpected bonus of not having a parcel shelf. "REEEEEEEE" :)

So two very similar cars, with two very different purposes. The M3 remains a sport sedan in the classic BMW 3 series mould, the driver's choice for a focused drive. The MY is more of an all rounder, from the moment that you easily slide into the drivers seat and realise that it doesn't need Easy Entry enable. It's compromises are around comfort and giving you maximum flexibility. The MY is just easy to live with. If you could only have one Tesla to serve all purposes and give you maximum lifestyle flexibility, the MY would be it. I'm fortunate to have both the M3 and MY, and I can see myself choosing to drive either on different days as they deliver two different answers to different sets of requirements.
100% agree. Like you, I had a SR+ (delivered Aug 21, sold May 22) and my current daily is an April 22 delivered M3P. Took delivery of my Mrs MY 2 weeks ago. Still a painfully slower drive and lacking confidence in turns every time I get into the driver seat. The added weight in the MY is obvious. Otherwise a great car overall.

Reactions: Maximillan
Good summary

I believe the latest M3 RWD are slower than they used to be, so if the MY shares the same sprial(?) wound motors and battery with the latest M3 you've probably got a bit of a slower drive train and a bigger, less aero car. I imagine it's still plenty fast enough.

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about the suspension over time. I think I'd take comfort over thrills whuich sounds like what you've got.

Good summary

I believe the latest M3 RWD are slower than they used to be, so if the MY shares the same sprial(?) wound motors and battery with the latest M3 you've probably got a bit of a slower drive train and a bigger, less aero car. I imagine it's still plenty fast enough.

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about the suspension over time. I think I'd take comfort over thrills whuich sounds like what you've got.
No they have the unicorn model 3 so it still has the quicker motor and same 60kW battery as the 2022.

Reactions: UNCLETYS
Good summary

I've found myself driving Y and wondering to myself how sweet the SR+ would be with the same suspension. I'm not sure if it's structural or the weight of the car but when you hit a bump or imperfection the Y seems to absorb it better, it feels more rigid / substantial by a marginal amount.

No comments on the screen.
So the Ryzen processor isn't noticeably different versus the Atom?
I haven't even noticed, nor thought about it until you asked. The UI feels exactly the same, the only difference that I've noticed is that because you're perched higher in the Y driver's seat that I sit a *slightly* better position to view and reach the screen. The Ryzen has made zero difference to my usage of the Y so far.

I've found myself driving Y and wondering to myself how sweet the SR+ would be with the same suspension. I'm not sure if it's structural or the weight of the car but when you hit a bump or imperfection the Y seems to absorb it better, it feels more rigid / substantial by a marginal amount.
You must have gotten a special one.
My buddy has three Tesla's - S, 3 and a new Y for his Mrs and complains that the Y is thrashy and rough. I went to golf with him on the weekend through Dural to Riverside oaks and have to agree that the ride was fidgety and quite crashy. The 3 is better but still not that much better when compared to most euros.

You must have gotten a special one.
My buddy has three Tesla's - S, 3 and a new Y for his Mrs and complains that the Y is thrashy and rough. I went to golf with him on the weekend through Dural to Riverside oaks and have to agree that the ride was fidgety and quite crashy. The 3 is better but still not that much better when compared to most euros.
When was that Y built? My Y was a 31/7 build, and it's better than the Y I test drove in June. It's almost like those demo Y were 10% stiffer than the 3, and the Y that they've delivered is 10% softer in the ride.

When was that Y built? My Y was a 31/7 build, and it's better than the Y I test drove in June. It's almost like those demo Y were 10% stiffer than the 3, and the Y that they've delivered is 10% softer in the ride.
I recall August delivered but not 100% certain to exact date.
Although compared to my 3 RWD 2022 I can feel the difference, but at the end of the day if you are happy then that's all that matters.

No comments on the screen.
So the Ryzen processor isn't noticeably different versus the Atom?
From spending a bit of time in an Atom based rental and now owning a Ryzen model 3, the day to day stuff was fine in the Atom. The big noticable difference is opening Apps like Netflix, or the arcade games. The ryzen loads them in about 3 seconds, whereas I remember the Atom based car taking about 20secs to open Netflix.

Reactions: UNCLETYS
From spending a bit of time in an Atom based rental and now owning a Ryzen model 3, the day to day stuff was fine in the Atom. The big noticable difference is opening Apps like Netflix, or the arcade games. The ryzen loads them in about 3 seconds, whereas I remember the Atom based car taking about 20secs to open Netflix.
Today I noticed the difference for the first time, loading the Browser in the Ryzen is super quick. Netflix as well is noticeably faster to load.

Like you said, the day to day stuff is fine with the Atom.