Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing my '21 SR+ to my '22 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Two-rocks

New England IPA
Jan 18, 2021
gone
Having just taken delivery of our '22, thought I'd share some thoughts (cars were identical color, wheels, etc.):

1) Projector headlights are much better than the original version (wife pulled over the first nighttime drive and called asking if the high beams were stuck on). A bit of a surprise, as the others were better than many out there by a large margin. Eagerly waiting for the smart features to be enabled in the US.
2) Has more regen braking than the SR+. Not a huge amount, but certainly noticeable. Not sure if the larger battery can take a bigger jolt, or if it's using both motors.
3) Handling is about the same under normal driving (more power obviously), not sure I can feel the few hundred added pounds - at least on the street vs track (or asshat street driving which I have been known to do), waiting for the gears to mesh before getting on it too much. The current RWD is heavier the the SR+, putting it even closer in weight.
4) Sound system is noticeably better.
5) The 2022 seat motors are louder, almost cheap sounding.
6) Radar vs non radar - limited to fair weather testing so not much to report, but does well so far. Need more miles...

We made the change solely for the heated steering wheel (yep!), which is now standard on all of them. When we bought the 2021 SR+ price delta was greater between the SR+ and AWD (overall pricing combined with a rebate price ceiling in my state) so it was an easier choice. I'd say not so much anymore.

Was your 2021 an early build without the new-for-2021 headlights? Or did the headlights change again recently?

Either way, nice listing the headlights first. :) I love the headlights in my October 2021 build Model 3! When I bought the car I had no idea the headlights were so good. I never had an earlier Model 3 to compare with, but they absolutely blow my 2013 S headlights out of the water, it's a huge upgrade when driving on dark winding roads.

My first impressions of VO TACC on the the recent 2021.4x.xx updates is it's improved a bit, not quite as insanely slow to accelerate to fill in gaps at least. Not sure yet if the late braking as improved. I need more time with it in traffic to make a full comparison. VO TACC in 2021.36.xx that my car was running until very recently was really bad compared to any Autopilot Model S loaner I've ever used (any AP version). Hopefully you're experiencing a better VO TACC now than the earlier releases!

Reactions: Leeroy
My former car was a 2008 Volvo S 40. Great car that I enjoyed immensely, but the headlights weren’t so good. Because of my experience, the headlights on my 2018 Performance are astounding to me. Best I’ve ever seen (I do have aftermarket modules I installed myself on my current Mercedes SLK that are by far superior to factory). Can’t wait to try out the ones on a newer Model 3.

Reactions: tm1v2
More time with the autopilot: it’s better. Does not try to center the car as you pass exit ramps (nothing like before, anyway). Smoother accelerating and slowing. Have not had and phantom slow downs (need more varied terrain)

However, nighttime is kind of a huge problem with the BETA auto high beams. They flash or blind people. It pretty bad and can’t be disabled - wtf. TACC does not require auto high beams, but the autopilot was one of the deciding factors in purchasing.

I still have the issue on autopilot where the car doesn’t start slowing soon enough, coming up on cars at a red light. It seems to “race’ up to the backs of cars and then starts to apply the brakes at the last possible second. I find myself in the habit of using the scroll wheels to slow the car down when approaching traffic lights in these situations.

Reactions: Runninsmooth
I still have the issue on autopilot where the car doesn’t start slowing soon enough, coming up on cars at a red light. It seems to “race’ up to the backs of cars and then starts to apply the brakes at the last possible second. I find myself in the habit of using the scroll wheels to slow the car down when approaching traffic lights in these situations.
As I read this just now I realized I hadn't turned on AP in about a month now. When you never leave NYC you never have need for it. I don't trust it or the other drivers enough to turn it on within the confines of the 5 boroughs, and how often am I in the lane I need to be in for more than 10 seconds anyway? I'll turn it on next time I'm in South Dakota.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
As I read this just now I realized I hadn't turned on AP in about a month now. When you never leave NYC you never have need for it.
That's true. But I've done the 95 path from MA to PA with actual driving being only 10-20 percent of the time (no FSD). It does fantastic in sh!tty traffic (I avoid cities, hate them), but lane changes are a pita. Most of CT is left lane set at 90 (I think the 'vision only' does not go up to that speed) and close following. This way no lane changes are necessary, but the possibility of a ticket makes EAP the way forward.

With that said, the wondering at exit ramps is much better (by a huge amount) than the '21 with radar. Enough so that might open up traveling in a lane other than the left at high speed.

Have you considered simply not using Autopilot until you can get that problem fixed? From what you describe it sounds like doing it yourself might be safer.

Reactions: XPsionic
I hadn't used autopilot in a month or two - and definitely it has changed - and not for the better. Used to be a lot smoother (though I still have radar). Basically it is sluggish to respond. So when it approaches traffic from behind and it needs to slow - it slows too late (comes in fast and breaks hard). On the other hand when it needs to accelerate because traffic in front clears - it is way too slow to do that and leaves big gaps which is annoying. For example I'm in heavy traffic driving around 50mph and have set the limit to 70mph. The traffic in front accelerates and is now moving like 60 - but my autopilot takes forever to adjust and leaves a big gap in front of me (annoying all cars behind me too).

Changes not great - and honestly this has been a pattern with Tesla in the last year or so. Can't remember the last time I had something on the car improve - but there has been a number of "make it worse" updates - including the new UI, this autopilot behavior, the threat to remove the radar, etc.

Reactions: Sackmonkey
+1 on the slow to start scenario you describe. It’s been this way from day 1 (almost 3 1/3 years for me), and, you’re right, has not improved. Obviously there’s a lot at stake, so I understand Tesla wanting to be cautious; even overly so. But I’d think they’d have these things somewhat improved by now.