Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing MY with a 2015 Model S loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting some paint issues fixed (picked up in late June).... just wanted to make a few comments.
- why would you pay for FSD right now? I have autopilot on my MY and a the Model S has some version of FSD (the about info says "autopilot 1.0 hardware). Doesn't recognize street signs and best I can tell the only real difference is that if I hit the turn signal it'll automatically change lanes and I don't have to reenable autopilot. I may be ignorant about what the car has or what it can do but I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to not have to turn my autosteer back on. I'm guessing that the "good" FSD will require hardware that my car doesn't have right now.
- it's 234 miles round trip from my house to my daughter's (all highway). My MY can't do it right now if I charge it up to 100%... well, maybe it can but it tells me to limit my speed to 60 (I normally drive 70) and tells me I'll have 3% to -3% remaining and implies I'm an idiot for trying. I'd take a new Model S with 400 mile range but this one seems to be barely over 200 miles now now.
- "supercharging" is in quotes because my loaner gets free supercharging but charges at a rate of 96 mi/hr... is the battery degraded, throttled or what?

Don't get me wrong, I love my MY and the car can get "better" with time through software updates but this one is really feeling it's age. Before I got it I was driving a 2013 BMW 535 that felt more advanced than the 2015 MS. I think I'm going to have to convince my wife in 4-5 years that I need a new Tesla... I was planning on stretching that out to 6-7 years.