Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing new Roadster exterior dimensions to original Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Of course we don’t have any numbers on the exterior dimensions of the new Roadster. Watching the various videos people have posted of the car viewed from the line waiting for a test drive, it appears to me that the length of the new Roadster is significantly longer. It pretty much has to be to get 2 small rear seats in the car.

For those who were at the event and took a test drive, what is your estimate of the overall length of the car?

Regarding the width, the new Roadster is likely significantly wider. But how much? 6”? More?

Of course we don’t have any numbers on the exterior dimensions of the new Roadster. Watching the various videos people have posted of the car viewed from the line waiting for a test drive, it appears to me that the length of the new Roadster is significantly longer. It pretty much has to be to get 2 small rear seats in the car.

For those who were at the event and took a test drive, what is your estimate of the overall length of the car?

Regarding the width, the new Roadster is likely significantly wider. But how much? 6”? More?
25% is my guess

Dennis, did you get a test drive at the event?

When I look at the videos and use the people walking around the test drive car for scale, I get the sense that the new Roadster is maybe a foot or two shorter than a Model 3. Does that seem about right?

I wonder if they based it on a Model 3 chassis but with significant modifications at the rear to accommodate the dual motors.

With the battery box not behind the front seats like the original roadster, I wonder how much additional space is needed for the +2 seating?

Dennis, did you get a test drive at the event?

When I look at the videos and use the people walking around the test drive car for scale, I get the sense that the new Roadster is maybe a foot or two shorter than a Model 3. Does that seem about right?

I wonder if they based it on a Model 3 chassis but with significant modifications at the rear to accommodate the dual motors.

I didn't do a test ride... didn't feel like putting a deposit down at the time... I just grabbed friends who did to get their opinions...

That seems right... As for the size...

tesla-roadster_side_view.jpg

just use this image from Electrek co. And then do a pixel count. We already know the rear wheel is 21 inch rim and front wheel is 20 inch rim.

My calculation is that this car has wheelbase of 108 inch. And height of 45 inch.

My calculation is that this car has wheelbase of 108 inch. And height of 45 inch.
Thanks for your estimate. The Model 3 wheelbase is 113.2”. Given that the new Roadster front/rear overhang appears to be much less than the 3, it seems possible that the total length of the Roadster could be at least 24” less than the 3, so around 160” or maybe even 150”.

• Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore
Thanks for your estimate. The Model 3 wheelbase is 113.2”. Given that the new Roadster front/rear overhang appears to be much less than the 3, it seems possible that the total length of the Roadster could be at least 24” less than the 3, so around 160” or maybe even 150”.
You are welcome. Feel free to take that picture to put it in Microsoft Paint or other software., and do more pixel counts/estimates.

0:04 of this video clearly show the size of the rear tire. It is Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2! Exact same dimension and type of tire used in Porsche 918 Hyper car as well as the Porsche GT2 RS (Germany Nurburgring world record holder for production car). This tire is basically a racing slick tire for the street for those who don't know much about the latest tire technology.

Also, the full overall width diameter of 28.7 inch according to Michelin! The biggest diameter possible choice out of this Pilot Sport Cup 2.
https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/specifications/specs-pilot-sport-cup-2.pdf

placeholder_image.svg

just use this image from Electrek co. And then do a pixel count. We already know the rear wheel is 21 inch rim and front wheel is 20 inch rim.

Hi from other thread.
I did pixel counting also, but used the full tire diameter. How did you judge wheel diameter? It seems difficult to separate the wheel flange from the tire bead seating surface (the specified rim dimension). To check my counting I compared the front to rear, was better than 1%, front 125, rear 133, wheelbase 120inch 532 pixels (different pic).

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
Hi from other thread.
I did pixel counting also, but used the full tire diameter. How did you judge wheel diameter? It seems difficult to separate the wheel flange from the tire bead seating surface (the specified rim dimension). To check my counting I compared the front to rear, was better than 1%, front 125, rear 133, wheelbase 120inch 532 pixels (different pic).
Rear tire rim is 21 inch. Pixel count is 170 pixels.
Then you have wheel base (exact center of front wheel to exact center of rear wheel) at 876 pixels. That means wheelbase is 108.2 inch or right around there.

There is no way Tesla would make a sport car that has a longer wheel base than Model 3. As a matter of facts, there isn't a single sport car, super car, or hyper car in the world that has a wheel base longer than 110 inch (wheelbase of Model 3 is 113 inch). Nissan GTR (which has 4 seats) came the closest to that at 109.4 inch. ALL other supercars in are the 96 inch to 108 inch range.

Think about it more logically, sport car is all about light weight and able to make the curve quicker. Weight and size is the biggest enemy to a sport car's acceleration, braking, track time performance. Why would the Tesla designer EVER make the roadster bigger and heavier than Model 3????

Rear tire rim is 21 inch. Pixel count is 170 pixels.
Then you have wheel base (exact center of front wheel to exact center of rear wheel) at 876 pixels. That means wheelbase is 108.2 inch or right around there.

Right, I understand the process, what I am asking is how you are picking the pixels for the 21 inch reference points since the bead seating surface is not visible. The exposed edge is the rim size + 2×flange height.

Hi from other thread.
You are correct that it is hard to know exactly how to count the rear wheel 21 inch rim. I did thought about that when i did the pixel count, and had a range of estimates. The "21 inch rim" could range from 160 pixels up to 174 pixels, depend on exactly where you count the "rim". So that means the 876 pixels wheel base could range from 105.7 inch up to 114.9 inch. (that is the min and max range)

Another way to figure this out is measuring the rear wheel opening right at the horizontal center line (pixel count is 235 horizontal). We know the rear wheel overall diameter is 28.7 inch according to official specs from Michelin tire (I have posted this on anther thread). So you can add one inch on the left and one inch on the right for clearance. That is 30.7 inch horizontal length for 235 pixel. So the wheelbase of 876 pixels would equate to 114.4 inch.

I am now starting to think that Tesla could be using the same Model 3 platform (but with wider width), and with different battery chemistry/ technology in the new roadster.

You are correct that it is hard to know exactly how to count the rear wheel 21 inch rim. I did thought about that when i did the pixel count, and had a range of estimates. The "21 inch rim" could range from 160 pixels up to 174 pixels, depend on exactly where you count the "rim". So that means the 876 pixels wheel base could range from 105.7 inch up to 114.9 inch. (that is the min and max range)

Another way to figure this out is measuring the rear wheel opening right at the horizontal center line (pixel count is 235 horizontal). We know the rear wheel overall diameter is 28.7 inch according to official specs from Michelin tire (I have posted this on anther thread). So you can add one inch on the left and one inch on the right for clearance. That is 30.7 inch horizontal length for 235 pixel. So the wheelbase of 876 pixels would equate to 114.4 inch.

I am now starting to think that Tesla could be using the same Model 3 platform (but with wider width), and with different battery chemistry/ technology in the new roadster.

Cool, I feel better about my pixels. Using frames from the website video, I've gotten 112 to 117 inch, but that had camera lens effects. With a different copy of the render you used I got 118 to 120. Inner wheel well distance was 83 to 88, again high end being the render.

Off the video, the spacing between rear wheels was about 48.

Don't want to pull this thread off of pure measurement, so I'll continue posting in other thread.

5th data set:
Using 1500 pixel wide image from The new Tesla Roadster is the halo car for the entire EV industry (+360 Test drive)
I get (edge of rubber to edge of rubber)
Front wheel: 209 pixels / 28.3" real 28.24 calculated from ideal rear wheel
Rear wheel: 222 pixels /30 " real/ 30.06" calculated from ideal front wheel.
Wheelbase: 877 pixels/ 118.75 based on front wheel, 119.86 based on rear wheel
Wheel well to wheel well: 645 pixels/ 87" based on front wheel

tesla-roadster_side_view.jpg