Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Plaid to Ludicrous Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am the current owner of a 2020 Model S Performance and am loving the unbelievable performance figures of the new Plaid powertrain. That said, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it may function compared to the outgoing "Ludicrous Plus" mode.

As y'all know, currently you select "Ludicrous Plus" which begins the battery heating process. In my experience this takes around 40-50 minutes for the first acceleration run. From there, additional runs need at least 5 minutes or so until I get the "ready" message on the screen. I realize that you can still make acceleration runs even if it doesn't read "ready" but I'd imagine you're not getting full power.

So after reading the info on Tesla's website (mainly what you see below) I wonder if "Plaid" is a mode similar to "Ludicrous Plus" that will require a long period of battery heating to get those amazing power and acceleration numbers? Given what we know today, what do you think? Will that crazy power be there all the time with the new powertrain or will a heating process be required? Will the heating process time be reduced vs. Ludicrous Plus? Thanks for reading and I appreciate hearing what you think!

plaid_beyond_ludicrous.png

yes, its practically an updated ludi model. Only changes to the battery pack were updated battery chemistry and cooling so I can't imagine it would behave much different than the current model as far as pack heating beside maybe slightly faster. Should help with supercharging speed and multiple launches before speed drops off though. the plaid+ on the other hand will have new batteries and updated pack config built into chasis but guessing heating pack for max performance will always require time.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and TNGuy99
Unfortunately I think there will be a pack warm up for max power, just as the pack has to be warm to accept max charge. I do think the new cooling will be able to keep the pack at the desired temp, where currently it seems that there is a issue with the pack overheating and then limiting power once it reaches the optimum temperature.

Reactions: TNGuy99
Thank you fellas, everyone around me is sick of hearing me go on about Tesla all the time, so I appreciate your thoughts on how this will likely work!

yes, its practically an updated ludi model. Only changes to the battery pack were updated battery chemistry and cooling so I can't imagine it would behave much different than the current model as far as pack heating beside maybe slightly faster. Should help with supercharging speed and multiple launches before speed drops off though. the plaid+ on the other hand will have new batteries and updated pack config built into chasis but guessing heating pack for max performance will always require time.

Sounds logical to me and I'm hoping the pack heating time will be reduced and kept more consistent between runs. I'm sure there will be some folks testing this out on YouTube pretty soon.

With 3 motors I doubt there is a pack warming mode like with Ludicrous+

I tell ya, if this is the case, much like how the Model 3 Performance doesn't need any special mode or pack heating, I will be ecstatic! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but this would be killer!!

Unfortunately I think there will be a pack warm up for max power, just as the pack has to be warm to accept max charge. I do think the new cooling will be able to keep the pack at the desired temp, where currently it seems that there is a issue with the pack overheating and then limiting power once it reaches the optimum temperature.

Yes, I'm thinking so too. I agree with you that the key area for improvement will be keeping the pack within a tight range in between runs and not letting the temp get carried away, resulting in reduced performance. I'm just really really hoping that Tesla has reduced the initial warm up time.

Reactions: byeLT4