Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing side mirrors blind spots - American vs European Tesla Model S (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, turns out that would not work. A friend with a Model 3 stopped by today, and we put a spare mirror from my S next to theirs. The 3 mirrors are a similar shape but about an inch shorter, so an S mirror does not fit into the 3 housing. Sad.

Sad, but thank you for your service! :D I compared my mirror p/n to S mirror p/ns I saw on eBay, and I saw they didn't match, but wasn't sure if maybe the new mirror superseded the 'old' ones but were functionally the same. Then I put a request out among some insiders w/r/t the mirror glass size between cars but hadn't heard back yet.
Oh well, I guess that just means I'll have to keep a closer eye on when 3 sales start in Europe!
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled Model S programming :)

To reply to myself:

Turns out it doesn't matter, at least on the 3. The mirrors don't adjust out far enough. Almost daily I'm surprised to find a vehicle in my blind spot when I do a shoulder check to lane change. The large pillars don't particularly help (I had never owned a 4 door car until 2 years ago; thankfully this isn't my first or it would be even worse!)

Still need to find an S to compare with, very tempted to pull the trigger on euro S glass to give it a try.

Since I haven't lived with an S on a day to day basis, I can't say whether or not I'd have the same problems with the S mirrors not going out far enough.
I have to agree here. I'm tall, so the pillar actually blocks a chunk of my side vision. Then on top of that, the mirrors don't adjust out quite far enough for the 'proper' spot. It's actually rather frustrating. About once per month I completely and totally miss a car lined up perfectly in the remaining blind spot. This is the first car I have owned where I have not been able to eliminate the blind spot with the mirrors.

Reactions: David99
If people are still interested in Convex Blind Spot Mirrors. We have OEM replacement that's functional and aesthetic.

We're taking 10% Off Pre Orders now (here for more information).
LRG_DSC04605.JPG

In this picture, top is OEM with stick on convex. Below is Suma Performance Mirrors (ours), drastic difference.
Image-8.jpg

How do these work with the auto-dimming feature in our Model S cars?
Suma Mirrors replace the auto-dimming feature by our anti-glare feature (blue hue, like most European cars) that serves the same purpose as the auto-dimming. Our anti-glare feature reduces glare and show objects clearly. And yet, without making the side mirrors too dark as the auto dimmer does in some scenarios.

Suma Mirrors replace the auto-dimming feature by our anti-glare feature (blue hue, like most European cars) that serves the same purpose as the auto-dimming. Our anti-glare feature reduces glare and show objects clearly. And yet, without making the side mirrors too dark as the auto dimmer does in some scenarios.
Seems like a long way to say they don’t auto dim.

Do they also omit the heater?

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Update: really like the SUMA mirrors, they give a much wider field of view, and the blue cast looks nice. Until I get used to them I need to be mindful that when I think I've past someone and I can cut back into the lane, they are a lot closer than it looks. All said and done it's a nice, easy, inexpensive mod that I think is well worth the money.

Reactions: SumaPerformance