Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing side mirrors blind spots - American vs European Tesla Model S (video)

Still need to find an S to compare with, very tempted to pull the trigger on euro S glass to give it a try.
Nope, turns out that would not work. A friend with a Model 3 stopped by today, and we put a spare mirror from my S next to theirs. The 3 mirrors are a similar shape but about an inch shorter, so an S mirror does not fit into the 3 housing. Sad.

Nope, turns out that would not work. A friend with a Model 3 stopped by today, and we put a spare mirror from my S next to theirs. The 3 mirrors are a similar shape but about an inch shorter, so an S mirror does not fit into the 3 housing. Sad.

Sad, but thank you for your service! :D I compared my mirror p/n to S mirror p/ns I saw on eBay, and I saw they didn't match, but wasn't sure if maybe the new mirror superseded the 'old' ones but were functionally the same. Then I put a request out among some insiders w/r/t the mirror glass size between cars but hadn't heard back yet.
Oh well, I guess that just means I'll have to keep a closer eye on when 3 sales start in Europe!
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled Model S programming :)

To reply to myself:

Turns out it doesn't matter, at least on the 3. The mirrors don't adjust out far enough. Almost daily I'm surprised to find a vehicle in my blind spot when I do a shoulder check to lane change. The large pillars don't particularly help (I had never owned a 4 door car until 2 years ago; thankfully this isn't my first or it would be even worse!)

Still need to find an S to compare with, very tempted to pull the trigger on euro S glass to give it a try.

Since I haven't lived with an S on a day to day basis, I can't say whether or not I'd have the same problems with the S mirrors not going out far enough.
I have to agree here. I'm tall, so the pillar actually blocks a chunk of my side vision. Then on top of that, the mirrors don't adjust out quite far enough for the 'proper' spot. It's actually rather frustrating. About once per month I completely and totally miss a car lined up perfectly in the remaining blind spot. This is the first car I have owned where I have not been able to eliminate the blind spot with the mirrors.

Reactions: David99

SumaPerformance

Global Vendor
Jul 10, 2019
Seattle
If people are still interested in Convex Blind Spot Mirrors. We have OEM replacement that's functional and aesthetic.

We're taking 10% Off Pre Orders now (here for more information).
LRG_DSC04605.JPG

In this picture, top is OEM with stick on convex. Below is Suma Performance Mirrors (ours), drastic difference.
Image-8.jpg

SumaPerformance

Global Vendor
Jul 10, 2019
Seattle
How do these work with the auto-dimming feature in our Model S cars?
Suma Mirrors replace the auto-dimming feature by our anti-glare feature (blue hue, like most European cars) that serves the same purpose as the auto-dimming. Our anti-glare feature reduces glare and show objects clearly. And yet, without making the side mirrors too dark as the auto dimmer does in some scenarios.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
Suma Mirrors replace the auto-dimming feature by our anti-glare feature (blue hue, like most European cars) that serves the same purpose as the auto-dimming. Our anti-glare feature reduces glare and show objects clearly. And yet, without making the side mirrors too dark as the auto dimmer does in some scenarios.
Seems like a long way to say they don’t auto dim.

Do they also omit the heater?

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Update: really like the SUMA mirrors, they give a much wider field of view, and the blue cast looks nice. Until I get used to them I need to be mindful that when I think I've past someone and I can cut back into the lane, they are a lot closer than it looks. All said and done it's a nice, easy, inexpensive mod that I think is well worth the money.

Reactions: SumaPerformance

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC