Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing solar quotes and wondering about installation experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're in the process of making a decision on a new solar system (panels plus one Powerwall). We've narrowed it down to Tesla and a small local company. The Tesla price is about 25% lower than the other quote. We're concerned that the Tesla price may be too good to be true--for example, we've heard that Tesla just wants to sell the Powerwall and then will add various change orders on the wiring, etc. that end up increasing the price to be about the same as other solar providers.

What was your installation experience? Were change orders made? I'm especially interested in recent experiences in the SF Bay Area, where Tesla seems to be swamped with new orders (I'm guessing because of their recent price cuts and the Federal solar tax credit going down in 2021). Thanks!

My recent (this year) experience is just with adding powerwalls to my existing solar install, and I did not have any change orders or other requests for extra money, but have read of a few here who have experienced that.

With that being said, this is a construction project, and tesla tends to not want to do full "discovery" ahead of time sometimes. The only thing I would add is, tesla currently has zero issue "selling the powerwall" so they have no incentive to "push" it on anyone. They cant produce enough of them for the demand they have now.

I havent seen many people post about change orders that increased the price 25% though.

I has a similar dilemma, although mine was with similar price quotes. I went with the local installer because they worked with me more closely on overall system design and because I wanted to support a local business (I’ve supported Tesla plenty). I was very pleased. They key thing I found is to get the Tesla energy tech support number after install, in case you have questions (ours has not required any inquiries). That doesn’t help answer your question, but is at least one data point (I am sure there are thousands of others) of a satisfied PW + 3rd party panel installation customer.

Tesla solar/energy did an installation recently for my house and damaged my living room ceiling... they didn't have any back-up plans....I had to get someone myself to fix it and still waiting for reimbursement for the repair.

I think local solar panel installer may be better due to better service and repair.

I had to call someone in Nevada to talk about repair issues.. not cool and the advisor were never available to talk to me on the phone since they all work from home and use e-mail.

I has a similar dilemma, although mine was with similar price quotes. I went with the local installer because they worked with me more closely on overall system design and because I wanted to support a local business (I’ve supported Tesla plenty). I was very pleased. They key thing I found is to get the Tesla energy tech support number after install, in case you have questions (ours has not required any inquiries). That doesn’t help answer your question, but is at least one data point (I am sure there are thousands of others) of a satisfied PW + 3rd party panel installation customer.

Thanks! I do like the idea of supporting a local business, but with a $10k difference, it's a more difficult decision. I do feel that customer service might be better from the local company (and from all the negative Yelp reviews for our local/Martinez Tesla installation office). But we have 3 neighbors who have been happy with Tesla, although they bought their systems before the price cuts.

My recent (this year) experience is just with adding powerwalls to my existing solar install, and I did not have any change orders or other requests for extra money, but have read of a few here who have experienced that.

With that being said, this is a construction project, and tesla tends to not want to do full "discovery" ahead of time sometimes. The only thing I would add is, tesla currently has zero issue "selling the powerwall" so they have no incentive to "push" it on anyone. They cant produce enough of them for the demand they have now.

I havent seen many people post about change orders that increased the price 25% though.

Thanks for the info. With the price cut (and additional discount when also purchasing solar panels), it seems that sales have increased significantly. The project advisor told me that we might not even get the PW until March 2021.

I did look at SGIP, but I thought the SGIP rebate was administered by the power company (PG&E) not the installer. Did I miss something?

The SGIP rebate needs to be applied for by the installer, and each installer has a developer cap. Its supposed to be "possible" to apply as your own developer, but that isnt very successful for many. Tesla is over the developer cap for SGIP (unless you are talking about a specific program like equity and resiliency), so you will not be getting any SGIP if you go with tesla (baring the equity and resiliency one of you qualify).

You would have to ask your third party if they have any developer cap left but its HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely for an install of 1 powerwall. Basically you need to discount the SGIP rebate from factoring into your equations, imo, for a 1 powerwall install with any supplier anyone would likely choose to go with.... and dont plan on applying for it yourself as that is likely to be unsuccessful.

Thanks for the info. With the price cut (and additional discount when also purchasing solar panels), it seems that sales have increased significantly. The project advisor told me that we might not even get the PW until March 2021.

That’s about what happened last year too. Neighbor ordered his in October, inventory was already low at that point because of volume of prior orders and end of year federal incentive cutoff at that rate, he got his install in March before covid.

If you need a panel upgrade to handle your solar and PW, it won’t matter who you chose as an installer it will have to be done. We needed one.

Because I wanted all our equipment in our garage to be placed on a wall on the other side of our double garage where we had more wall space and floor space for stacked PWs and equipment, we did incur an extra charge for all the 2” pvc schedule 80 and additional wiring run that was required to have the inverter over there. Otherwise we wouldn’t have had incurred that cost if it had been placed on the other side of the garage closest to the MP. You’ll get a good quote if they know what you want to do ahead of time.

Oh and we did ask for them to add pest abatement metal mesh on our solar panels a few weeks before install so birds and other critters couldn’t nest underneath. Read about it on here and glad we added it. That ended up being an extra charge too.

Happy with our install and looking forward to PTO. Should also mention when prices dropped they adjusted for them and substituted the new 340W panels that became their standard ones. They started shipping the GW2s and our order automatically got those as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
We're in the process of making a decision on a new solar system (panels plus one Powerwall). We've narrowed it down to Tesla and a small local company. The Tesla price is about 25% lower than the other quote. We're concerned that the Tesla price may be too good to be true--for example, we've heard that Tesla just wants to sell the Powerwall and then will add various change orders on the wiring, etc. that end up increasing the price to be about the same as other solar providers.

What was your installation experience? Were change orders made? I'm especially interested in recent experiences in the SF Bay Area, where Tesla seems to be swamped with new orders (I'm guessing because of their recent price cuts and the Federal solar tax credit going down in 2021). Thanks!

Tesla gives great prices on the front side, hopefully not any change orders, but that depends on the site.

The way Tesla does site visits and designs, they sometimes won't find out the extras until later, if there are any. However if your install is simple, there wont be overages. Smaller installers are more likely to do a 100% design before your install day, and therefore see issues coming before they become more serious, requiring extra cost or equipment. The smaller installer also will charge more and may have SGIP to bring the bottom line price more in line with the Tesla price.

It seems like many Tesla installs go perfect, and others sideways. Its probably the nature of humans that the majority who come to talk about their experiences, are complaining. Still if you look at the BBB ratings its pretty scary.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not necessarily, smaller installers have better relationships with permit departments, and have the time to go down to the permit department and push back when its appropriate. Tesla doesn't have that time.

I understand that early on when PSPS started Elon spoke with many cities around the bay and in wildfire zones about installations and processing permits. Our city despite still having it’s building permit department closed and many still WFH, was fairly fast in turn around on our permitting and inspection phases. The City I think told me that as policy they will try to fast track solar/battery permits for their residents. If your installer has a good business relationship with the office though I’m sure that might help if there’s an issue. Don’t know about elsewhere but our City had to mail the permit to Tesla as the offices are closed even for that. Our Tesla inspection guy said our inspector was pretty thorough so that was good to hear.

Good timing on this topic for me... about to start requesting quotes for a solar install + battery in Calaveras county. I have this type of system (Tesla) on another house here, installed maybe 16 months ago.

I haven’t kept current with Tesla products and pricing, but of course I’ll get a quote from them. Curious to see if any local competitors can meet or beat Tesla at this time... I wonder if a smaller, eligible company can provide any type of assurance for SGIP program funds? Or is it the same for all companies, where the rebates are basically unavailable for new installs at this time?

Good timing on this topic for me... about to start requesting quotes for a solar install + battery in Calaveras county. I have this type of system (Tesla) on another house here, installed maybe 16 months ago.

I haven’t kept current with Tesla products and pricing, but of course I’ll get a quote from them. Curious to see if any local competitors can meet or beat Tesla at this time... I wonder if a smaller, eligible company can provide any type of assurance for SGIP program funds? Or is it the same for all companies, where the rebates are basically unavailable for new installs at this time?

The funds are waitlisted now, but there is supposed to be an additional round of funding released very soon for SGIP... but I would be wary of anyone promising SGIP funds for anything less than 3 powerwalls, and I feel very strongly confident in telling you that anyone else other than tesla quoting you will "get close to" tesla's price IF they factory in powerwalls, and will be "no where near" teslas price without factoring in SGIP.

You wont get SGIP with tesla as their backlog is too big right now, so even with released funds, unless you are in equity or resiliency program, if choosing tesla right now plan on not getting any SGIP... and teslas pricing already reflects that as they are significantly cheaper than anyone else.

If you choose a third party it will NOT be because they are "beating" tesla's price, as there is virtually zero chance of any competent third party installer doing that. Pricing factoring in SGIP for 3+ powerwalls and a large solar install might be within a "few thousand" of tesla when you factor in SGIP if you go with a third party though.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and rw99
A solar system is likely at least a 10 year investment. I love local businesses too but I would factor in the likelihood of needing install and other workmanship issues.
Personally I had no issues with a Tesla install. Installers were flexible to all my requests. Didn't charge more for conduit etc.

If you go with a big corporate installer - you should be prepared to be your own project manager. I’m amazed at how there is no single point contact to address issues... if you want a highly curated “painless install” stay away from the publicly traded companies.

Yep... Tesla didn't get to $2/w by paying people to provide customer service...

I received my approval from PG&E Utility to turn on my solar on 10/14 and approval from Tesla to turn on my solar on 10/15. I tried turning on my inverter on 10/15 at 8:00AM but it hasn't worked.

I called Tesla and we tried power cycling off/on the inverter three times with no luck and they are sending out a service technician 1 month from now. Has anyone had this issue before?

• Informative
Reactions: Vines