Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

comparing Supercharge speed 85 vs 90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I logged all my Supercharging sessions of the last months using Teslafi and compared it to Bjorn's recent video of his 90 Supercharging. Instead of using percentages or miles or a constantly changing charge rate I used kWh is a basis to compare. In the end that's what counts. How long does it take to recharge a certain amount of energy. To make it fair and equal, I looked at Supercharging session in my logs that also started at around 10% battery. That is also a very realistic level of battery when you arrive at a Supercharger at a trip.

Enegy.......85...........90

32 kWh.....22 min....23 min
35 kWh.....25 min....25 min
40 kWh.....33 min....28 min
46 kWh.....38 min....32 min
52 kWh.....39 min....37 min

Of course there are always some variations and rounding errors, but it shows that even so the 90 is peak limited to around 95 kW, overall the charge rate is not worse because it maintains a higher rate over a longer time compared to my old 85. For the most common case (adding around 45 kWh) the 90 is a few minutes faster.
I you arrive at almost 0% battery the situation would probably be a little different. The 90 starts to charge slow when the battery is low and only reaches 90 kW when the battery is about at 15%. The old 85 starts with 115 kW and stays above 100 to about 20%. But then the taper kicks in and the rate drops quite a bit. In other words, when arriving really low and only needing let's say half a charge (to reach the next Supercharger) the 85 might have a slight advantage in charging speed, but in the most common situations, the 90 will be faster by a few minutes. If you charge to a higher level the 90 is definitely ahead because it maintains a higher charge rate while the 85 drops significantly.

In most of the cases you are charging faster in a 90 even though the peak charge rate never reaches the level it does on the old batteries.

I arrived with 30 miles on battery, charge rate was 74kw, took 120 miles.
Came back 4 hours later with 20 miles left, charge rate 115kw, I got out car, I thought it was going to explode.
Came back on third day, vampire had eaten 24 miles parked, I took on another 50 miles, rate 34kw and took an hour
I called tesla, something is wrong? No sir, look at your mi rate on left side it says you are charging atv200 miles an hour,
I have a 85 , she said dual chargers only work at home if I have a 100 amp circuit,. Wisley tango foxtrot
I say my charging system is bad.
Or
They throttle me back for using SC so much??

I arrived with 30 miles on battery, charge rate was 74kw, took 120 miles.
Came back 4 hours later with 20 miles left, charge rate 115kw, I got out car, I thought it was going to explode.
Came back on third day, vampire had eaten 24 miles parked, I took on another 50 miles, rate 34kw and took an hour
I called tesla, something is wrong? No sir, look at your mi rate on left side it says you are charging atv200 miles an hour,
I have a 85 , she said dual chargers only work at home if I have a 100 amp circuit,. Wisley tango foxtrot
I say my charging system is bad.
Or
They throttle me back for using SC so much??

Your likely not limited, as you did see 115kW which is the peak I have noticed in a new car.

Rate will vary greatly depending temp - outside and battery. The compressor in my car was super loud trying to cool off while taking in 115kW in the middle of a long drive.

And yes, single or dual chargers make no difference at a supercharger. Only at home if you have > 50A service on an HPWC.

Rate will vary greatly depending temp - outside and battery.

Do you see a great difference in your 100 when Supercharging depending on temperature. I'm asking because I have been monitoring the battery temperature for over a year now and I found, to my surprise, that the Supercharge speed doesn't change with temperature much. When it's cold, yes the rate will be reduced significantly. But even when I arrived with batteries at 120 F. at a Supercharger and it was over 100 outside, the charge rate was the same.

Do you see a great difference in your 100 when Supercharging depending on temperature. I'm asking because I have been monitoring the battery temperature for over a year now and I found, to my surprise, that the Supercharge speed doesn't change with temperature much. When it's cold, yes the rate will be reduced significantly. But even when I arrived with batteries at 120 F. at a Supercharger and it was over 100 outside, the charge rate was the same.
I have not supercharged enough to know. My nearest supercharger is 50 miles away. So always arrive "warm" and haven't had the car long enough to experience different seasons here for external temperatures.

I was impressed as I had 115kW up to 60% SOC. Then I left, plenty to get home.