Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Tesla Model 3 SR ( 151km range ) to Mazda MX30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Mazda 2022 MX30 has range of 161 kms and starts at $42150 Canadian for the GS model
35.5 kWh battery and the electric motor is 143 hp @ 4,500 rpm output@3,243 torque

What does the Model 3 SR ( Canada ) have for electric motor hp and torque in comparison?

Also can not find actual list of standard equipment for the Model 3, whether headlights are LED or other information

in the past other lower range EV's were:
2016 Nissan Leaf S - 84 miles 135 kms
2013-16 BMW i3 81 miles, 130 kms

I feel the Tesla Model 3 is at least as good as these?

Dan

Is your budget really limited to the M3 standard range? Because for 57% more (for the long range), you get over 235% longer range, and AWD rather than RWD.......that's taking into account the Federal incentive. Even the Standard Range Plus is still eligible for the incentive (List of eligible vehicles under the iZEV Program) and has much more range.

I think the Long Range is the better value, but my budget is not your budget.

Is your budget really limited to the M3 standard range? Because for 57% more (for the long range), you get over 235% longer range, and AWD rather than RWD.......that's taking into account the Federal incentive. Even the Standard Range Plus is still eligible for the incentive (List of eligible vehicles under the iZEV Program) and has much more range.

I think the Long Range is the better value, but my budget is not your budget.

The Mazda MX30 and Model 3 Standard Range are both terrible value propositions, but I'd still take a Standard Range over the horribly underpowered MX30.

As far as the Long Range vs the Standard Range Plus...unless you really need/want the 568 vs 423 km range, AWD and marginally faster acceleration, it's not a great value compared to the SR+, especially in BC and QC where you get the full rebate - you're paying $15-20k more for those (and a better stereo).

Reactions: sokhangoo
IMO: Can the other EVs auto steer and start and stop when the car in front of you stops and starts? Get the Tesla, the technology is so far ahead of the competition. Not to mention over-the-air updates for many years to come. Have you also checked their factory-required maintenance schedule? The other EVs still have a more hefty one compared to Tesla's.

Furthermore, have a look on youtube there is a guy (I believe it was Dec 2020) from SK, Canada showing his Model 3 parked outside starting up with -32C outside and -24C inside the cabin within 4 minutes and driving away without any issues whatsoever. It was plugged in though.

What does the Model 3 SR ( Canada ) have for electric motor hp and torque in comparison?
Tesla doesn’t say on their website and I doubt any salesperson will have that information available. Tesla tries really hard not to sell the SR version. You may think that 151km will be sufficient (and in winter it will be noticeably less, just like all other EVs) but I predict you will like the car so much that you will want to drive it longer distances. Of course a major Tesla advantage is the extensive Supercharger network but it wasn’t designed for such a limited range.

For another $8,500 you get 423km of range. I strongly advise you to do that.

There is no comparison between any Model 3 version and the competition. Tesla is light years ahead. Go to your nearest Tesla showroom and get a test drive. You’ll see. Then drive the other cars. As for the not yet available Mazda; why buy a BEV from a company that has never made one before when you can buy a Tesla, the company that revolutionized the auto industry and forced laggard manufacturers like Mazda, BMW, Ford, Mercedes and basically everyone to get on board with the electric revolution?

IMO: Can the other EVs auto steer and start and stop when the car in front of you stops and starts? Get the Tesla, the technology is so far ahead of the competition. Not to mention over-the-air updates for many years to come. Have you also checked their factory-required maintenance schedule? The other EVs still have a more hefty one compared to Tesla's.

Furthermore, have a look on youtube there is a guy (I believe it was Dec 2020) from SK, Canada showing his Model 3 parked outside starting up with -32C outside and -24C inside the cabin within 4 minutes and driving away without any issues whatsoever. It was plugged in though.
The M3 standard (151 km) doesn't have the autopilot included, so it is an extra 4000$

I am pretty sure the Model 3 Standard does have TACC. Not sure about Auto Steer
No auto steer - it says that "Basic Autopilot" is an extra $4000, and it lists "Automatic steering, acceleration and braking on highways". I believe it has cruise control, but maybe not TACC?

edited: that's what I'm reading in various forums - the basic M3 has cruise control, but not adaptive cruise control.

Last edited:
No auto steer - it says that "Basic Autopilot" is an extra $4000, and it lists "Automatic steering, acceleration and braking on highways". I believe it has cruise control, but maybe not TACC?

edited: that's what I'm reading in various forums - the basic M3 has cruise control, but not adaptive cruise control.
That's right. I took the info right out of the Tesla website. You see it when order the model 3.
You can see it for yourself before you actually confirm the order.

That's right. I took the info right out of the Tesla website. You see it when order the model 3.
You can see it for yourself before you actually confirm the order.
Thanks, now I see it. It does not specifically say that TACC is part of the “Basic Autopilot” option or that it is standard, only that the $4,000 option includes “Automatic steering, acceleration and braking on highways”. That could be read as being only Auto Steer, and that TACC will be part of the car even if that option is not purchased, which is my guess.

Attachments

• 26EA9898-07E9-4D98-B43F-F36F6B6B6153.jpeg
    26EA9898-07E9-4D98-B43F-F36F6B6B6153.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 89
Bolt is FWD and I generally do not go out of town. It is more for the driving experience, so I rather sacrifice range instead of performance.
So I see that you started a new thread at Comparing Tesla Model 3 SR ( 151km range ) to Mazda MX30 and that you placed your Standard Range Model 3 order. Congratulations! Post again after you get your car and let us know what you think. Looks like you have a long wait ahead of you; until spring 2022?

What other car manufacturer can sell as many cars as they can make with such long waiting times after ordering? Answer: none.

So I see that you started a new thread at Comparing Tesla Model 3 SR ( 151km range ) to Mazda MX30 and that you placed your Standard Range Model 3 order. Congratulations! Post again after you get your car and let us know what you think. Looks like you have a long wait ahead of you; until spring 2022?

What other car manufacturer can sell as many cars as they can make with such long waiting times after ordering? Answer: none.
Long wait is okay with me as I never enjoyed driving in the winter.

Also do not see a way to edit design. Not sure whether basic autopilot can be purchased later or change to Standard Range Plus which would require changing to longer loan or 4 year lease.

Dan

Thanks, now I see it. It does not specifically say that TACC is part of the “Basic Autopilot” option or that it is standard, only that the $4,000 option includes “Automatic steering, acceleration and braking on highways”. That could be read as being only Auto Steer, and that TACC will be part of the car even if that option is not purchased, which is my guess.
Well, TACC is accelerating and breaking isn't? So it is part of the basic autopilot. The same way auto steer is listed. I am ready to put 100$ on that ! :)

Well, TACC is accelerating and breaking isn't? So it is part of the basic autopilot. The same way auto steer is listed. I am ready to put 100$ on that ! :)
My point was that I think TACC is a standard feature on all Tesla models, even the Standard Range Model 3 if the Auto Pilot option (which is really just Auto Steer that) is not ordered. On all other Tesla models, Auto Steer is standard. The Auto Pilot option is called Full Self Driving (FSD).

You are correct that TACC can automatically increase and decrease speed based on the set speed and the presence or absence of a vehicle in front of you. But it will do that whether or not Auto Steer is enabled in a Standard Range Model 3.

My point was that I think TACC is a standard feature on all Tesla models, even the Standard Range Model 3 if the Auto Pilot option (which is really just Auto Steer that) is not ordered. On all other Tesla models, Auto Steer is standard. The Auto Pilot option is called Full Self Driving (FSD).

You are correct that TACC can automatically increase and decrease speed based on the set speed and the presence or absence of a vehicle in front of you. But it will do that whether or not Auto Steer is enabled in a Standard Range Model 3.
Well, TACC is not standard on all M3.
The midrange I bought doesn't have it.
I understand Basic AP became standard at one point though.