Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Tesla Motors Club (TMC) and Tesla Motors (TM) forums.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post—remember your first time? I apologize if my question seems inappropriate or has been addressed in a thread that I haven’t yet found. (Moderators: Please feel free to edit/move/delete my entry if necessary.) I’ve been reading these forums—a.k.a., lurking—for quite some time, trying to learn as much as I can about Teslas. And although I’ve wanted an electric car all my life, I’m especially excited that finally, I can afford—not just any electric car, but a Tesla. I can’t wait until my Model 3 RN# is called!

Okay, here comes my question(s): As I read the Tesla Motors Club (TMC) and the Tesla Motors (TM) forums, I keep trying to determine the differences (if any) between them. From what I can tell, the topics, predictions, questions, even some of the folks who post seem to be the same. Do the TMC and TM forums target different “audiences”? Do they address different issues? Did one forum start first, and then someone got their feelings hurt and began the other forum? What’s the story? And, which forum is better? (That question alone should stir up some discussion.) I appreciate your help.

I'm no expert, but as near as I can figure, TMC predates TM forums by about four years. (August 2006 vs August 2010)
The TM hosted forum is more monitored verses moderated. It is sort of a dry communal blog that TM uses to gage trends etc., although Tesla has been known to respond directly to content here on TMC as well. It is much easier to post pictures and such here at TMC, and with avatars, signatures, and smileys, there is a whole host of information immediately available that you have hang out for a long time to understand over at TM. PM (personal messages) here at TMC are convenient, but the ad rigmarole can get annoying if you can't afford to contribute. Both forums have more information than you could ever need. ( but I still need MORE) There are great people on both forums, and of course the occasional nitwit. TM forums have owners only "private" threads, but TMC has the ratings system and, of course, the prize catalog with ponies and the like. (Just kidding about the catalog) (they no longer have ponies)
Come on in, look around, but be prepared for a monumental time "black-hole" to start stealing all of your (hopefully) spare time. I can't find the link to Teslaholics Anonymous just now.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The communities have a different feel to them. I think most folks discover the TM community first and find their way to TMC. I think the TMC folks consider TM lightweight and the TM folks think the TMC folks take themselves too seriously. :) My advice it to pick the site where you you feel most comfortable.

For me the biggest difference is that TMC is built on actual forum software versus TM which is hacked together, so I think TMC offers better usability and features.

I've always liked the fact that there was moderation here. Some people dislike it. I also like the organization, the ability to follow certain posters and threads, etc. I started at TM, came to TMC, only went back for 1 post when TMC was down for the upgrade. Realized very rapidly why I stay around here.

Plus, Delaware folks are well respected around here.

Besides the quality of content being pretty high here compared to TM, one key positive enabler that existed in TMC is the ability to effortlessly browse and catchup up with all the topics and replies through mobile app Tapatalk. Sigh. Not anymore.

Reactions: bollar
I'm no expert, but as near as I can figure, TMC predates TM forums by about four years. (August 2006 vs August 2010)

The TM Forum began beta operation in March, 2007 and went live in April, 2007. At that time it was limited to owners (well, I should say those who had paid for cars as deliveries began in 2008) so it was a very effective communication medium for us. Perhaps the August 2010 date is when Tesla decided to revamp the forum and open it up to everyone without moderation. After that the utility dropped rapidly.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Do the TMC and TM forums target different “audiences”? Do they address different issues? Did one forum start first, and then someone got their feelings hurt and began the other forum? What’s the story?

The TM forum was founded by Tesla Motors; and the TMC forum was founded by a Canadian named Doug (as far as I can tell but maybe someone will correct me on this).

Thanks a million! You've been VERY helpful! I too found the TM forum first, and then somehow discovered the TMC site. Since then, I've been reading both sites each day--often 2 & 3 times a day--which, as you know, can be quite time consuming. Who knows, before too long, I might see you at Teslaholics Anonymous. (Just kidding ... I think.) ;)

• Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch
Close :). @danny founded TeslaMotorsCub.com. He and @doug now run it. Neither are Canadian - you're probably thinking of DougH, head moderator on this site.
Close :). @Doug_G is Canadian and is the Lead Moderator which gives him certain responsibilities beyond regular mods and super moderator permissions. I'm still the "Head Moderator" whatever that means. We collaborate on moderator decisions. I'm not sure if @DougH is Canadian or not. He claims to be from Portland.

Close :). @Doug_G is Canadian and is the Lead Moderator which gives him certain responsibilities beyond regular mods and super moderator permissions. I'm still the "Head Moderator" whatever that means. We collaborate on moderator decisions. I'm not sure if @DougH is Canadian or not. He claims to be from Portland.
Hah! Lack of coffee. Sorry @Doug_G.

I never understood the difference between lead or head moderator. Thanks for the explanation.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and a person being interviewed uses "Emperor" as his job title.

I therefore am declaring myself to be Emperor of TMC. I promise to be a benevolent Emperor and will not meddle in any moderation activity. My posting activity will appear as just a regular member of the forum...

I'm not sure how I got to TMC, but I haven't really looked at the TM forum unless somebody links a post to there. I do know that I came here because Martin Eberhard and his wife posted here and I was reading their posts. It was fascinating reading what he had to say back then and how he was booted from the company. I think everybody that comes to this forum should read those threads, they should be stickied. With the new forum design I don't know how to search for those really old threads or if they are even around.