Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing Tesla pricing in Canada v. US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I know this has been discussed before, but here is my situation:

I (an American) and my wife (a Canadian) are planning to move from California to British Columbia (Vancouver) this summer. We own a Model 3 and a 2017 Model X and may replace the latter with a new X before we move if the rumored “refresh” is sufficiently compelling. Researching what is involved in bringing US cars into B.C. I discovered I would have to pay PST on the value of the cars (less the C$10,000 exclusion per car). So if I bought a new X I would not only pay the California sales tax but also the PST just a few months later. Hmm... what if I bought the new X in Canada instead of California?

So I set my VPN to Vancouver and accessed the Tesla website to get the Canadian pricing. A Model X Long Range with AP in Canada is $123,590 which is about US$97,000 at today’s exchange rate. The same X in the US is $88,490.

Wow. What a difference. No point in buying an X in Canada and pay PST there, might as well buy it in California and pay both sales taxes.

I don’t understand why Tesla charges so much more in Canada.

I know this has been discussed before, but here is my situation:

I (an American) and my wife (a Canadian) are planning to move from California to British Columbia (Vancouver) this summer. We own a Model 3 and a 2017 Model X and may replace the latter with a new X before we move if the rumored “refresh” is sufficiently compelling. Researching what is involved in bringing US cars into B.C. I discovered I would have to pay PST on the value of the cars (less the C$10,000 exclusion per car). So if I bought a new X I would not only pay the California sales tax but also the PST just a few months later. Hmm... what if I bought the new X in Canada instead of California?

So I set my VPN to Vancouver and accessed the Tesla website to get the Canadian pricing. A Model X Long Range with AP in Canada is $123,590 which is about US$97,000 at today’s exchange rate. The same X in the US is $88,490.

Wow. What a difference. No point in buying an X in Canada and pay PST there, might as well buy it in California and pay both sales taxes.

I don’t understand why Tesla charges so much more in Canada.
Trade practices and safety regulations.

Can you even bring a US Model X into Canada? I know the old Model S could not be imported due to the color of the seat belt fasteners (seriously).

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Can you even bring a US Model X into Canada? I know the old Model S could not be imported due to the color of the seat belt fasteners (seriously).
I do recall reading on TMC years ago about the issue with the S not being allowed to be brought into Canada. Tesla realized that was a problem and resolved the issues.

This page says my X can be brought in https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehicles...portation/usa/vafus/list2/TESLA__INC__5_4.htm

And the Model 3 is also admissible https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehicles...portation/usa/vafus/list2/TESLA__INC__3_0.htm

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: glide
@ecarfan before moving you're already learning the joys of being a Canuck! ;)

This does come up from time to time. You may want to have a look at this recent (and still active) thread: Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada. Yes it's about the Y, but I think the situation is basically the same.
Heh, thanks for your response :D Yes, life in Vancouver will certainly not be less costly than what I’m experiencing right now, next door to Silicon Valley.

And I did see that thread on the Y, thanks. Still was a bit stunned to see that an X was C$10,831 more in Canada!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yep. There's the odd product here and there that end up cheaper here after you factor in currency conversion, but for the most part we pay a premium on just about everything. Welcome to Canada, eh? The "good" news is that you're coming from one of the few places that rivals Vancouver for housing/rental costs, so that part might work out okay for you, @ecarfan

Reactions: cdswm3