Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing the older P85+ and the new 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all Tesla owners.

I am looking at a new 85D. I have priced it out to a little over $105k brand new. My understanding is that 0-60 time is the identical 4.2 seconds compared to the older 2014 P85 PLUS. I live in CA so don't really need the AWD. How is the handling and actual drive feel different on the two?

I have previously driven the P85 which felt like a Mercedes. I prefer a sports sedan. I haven't had a chance to drive the P85 PLUS or the 85D. I can't imagine having staggered wheels and some sway/strut bars will make that big of a difference compared to the regular P85. The cons will be having to get two sets of tires every single time. I think the 85D has 4 identical sized tires, making it easier to rotate and save money.

Other than AP and next gen seats, I am not sure it justifies the extra costs. I can get a decent priced 2014 P85 PLUS for $75k, saving me $30k compared to a new 85D. Is it worth the extra $30k for AP, newer seats and a newer build? Some say yes but that's quite a chunk of change.

Please chime in for those that have driven the P85 PLUS and the 85D (not the P85 and not the P85D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all Tesla owners.

I am looking at a new 85D. I have priced it out to a little over $105k brand new. My understanding is that 0-60 time is the identical 4.2 seconds compared to the older 2014 P85 PLUS. I live in CA so don't really need the AWD. How is the handling and actual drive feel different on the two?

I have previously driven the P85 which felt like a Mercedes. I prefer a sports sedan. I haven't had a chance to drive the P85 PLUS or the 85D. I can't imagine having staggered wheels and some sway/strut bars will make that big of a difference compared to the regular P85. The cons will be having to get two sets of tires every single time. I think the 85D has 4 identical sized tires, making it easier to rotate and save money.

Other than AP and next gen seats, I am not sure it justifies the extra costs. I can get a decent priced 2014 P85 PLUS for $75k, saving me $30k compared to a new 85D. Is it worth the extra $30k for AP, newer seats and a newer build? Some say yes but that's quite a chunk of change.

Please chime in for those that have driven the P85 PLUS and the 85D (not the P85 and not the P85D)

- - - Updated - - -

I meant

Comparing the older P85 PLUS and the new 85D

I have an 85D and have driven a P85+ loaner. Handling is much better on D. The P+ was a bit squirrel on heavy acceleration and curves. The D has better handling on dry,wet and ice and snow; better range and you don't burn up the rear tires .
AP is definitely a plus.
You'll have to decide if its worth the cost but you are getting a newer car with the D.

I have an 85D and have driven a P85+ loaner. Handling is much better on D. The P+ was a bit squirrel on heavy acceleration and curves. The D has better handling on dry,wet and ice and snow; better range and you don't burn up the rear tires .
AP is definitely a plus.
You'll have to decide if its worth the cost but you are getting a newer car with the D.

I have a 90D and also drove a P85+ loaner on the advice of the sales team. The P85+ handled well and fast but I underscore the above comment regarding the value of AP. The service rep erroneously said that the P85+ had TACC but not full AP. [emoji33] (Thankfully, I was ready to apply breaks on the highway.)

Hello all Tesla owners.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant

Comparing the older P85 PLUS and the new 85D

Not true, P85 does 0-60 in 3.9: Tesla 0-60 Times more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats! .3 is A BIG difference when talking 0-69 times. Hell, Tesla even charges $5,000 just to upgrade the P85D to "ludicrous", which only shaves .2

I have an 85D and drove a P85+ loaner this past Saturday and honestly, the 85D's handling was so much better. It certainly feels faster to 60 as it has a launch feeling rather than a push of the RWD, and zero wheelspin. Additionally, high end acceleration was quicker, likely due to the higher speed efficiency of the smaller motors.

I like how my P85+ corners. It's quite a significant upgrade from the non + model. It's does not quite have the grip of my Porsche but instant torque on the RWD makes it fun to drive. 85D should be fine for more casual driving though. Of course tires you got make a big difference too.

If you haven't driven the 85D yet, I suggest you do as it has perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and I was quite suprised how well it handled compared to the P85+. Coming out of a corner, the 85D just feels so planted (as does the P85+) but the 85D really pulls you out and around the corner. Additionally, when making hard turns at low speed and accelerating hard is so different in the 85D, as there is absolutely no slippage and it just sticks. When I had to cut across a highway in the P85+ loaner, it was certainly less planted and I also got wheelspin, whereas in the 85D doesn't in the same spot every time. Don't get me wrong, the P85+ is a fantastic vehicle at high speeds on twisty roads, it's just the 85D feels so different.

Additionally, when making hard turns at low speed and accelerating hard is so different in the 85D, as there is absolutely no slippage and it just sticks.

The P+ was a bit squirrel on heavy acceleration and curves.

Agreed. But who floors it in a corner? If that’s you’re driving style, the 85D is for you. To me, the P85+ feels more planted, dives less on acceleration and braking, has more precise steering, and doesn’t rebound after a lane change the way an 85D does. It’s like a BMW 550ix vs an M5. Sure, the M5’s back wheels will get loose now and then, but it leans more towards the sporty experience, and is way more fun to drive.

Also, 85Ds are commanding high prices. P85s are a much better value for the money. Either way, you can't go wrong, and you'll have a hard time getting that Telsa grin off your face;)

NOTE: I’m biased - just bought my 2nd P85+ yesterday, and am LOVING it)

I was in the same boat as you, looking at potential P85 CPO vehicles and praying for an 85D CPO. I ended up ordering a new 85D :) To me, AP is the killer feature of the 85D. Next Gen seats were icing on the cake. I really don't like the old seats, they feel too bench-like to me--I was slipping around everywhere.

The 85D is the perfect "sweet spot" car in terms of acceleration, handling, range and price. Good luck with your purchase, you can't go wrong!

You can try to find a unicorn P85+ with AP... :)

There were P85/P85+ built in Sept'14 thru Oct'14 for a few weeks that has the AP hardware. It's rare to find, but if you can find one, then it might meet your needs.

Also, on the P85+, you'll get the larger "frunk" whereas the 85D dual motor takes up a big chunk of space. For most, it's a non-factor.
For me, I use that frunk for my baby stroller and have my entire trunk for road trips.

Some people prefer RWD for the driving feel, while others will comment on the more planted secure feeling of AWD. I think you really can't go wrong with either.

You can try to find a unicorn P85+ with AP... :)

There were P85/P85+ built in Sept'14 thru Oct'14 for a few weeks that has the AP hardware. It's rare to find, but if you can find one, then it might meet your needs.

Also, on the P85+, you'll get the larger "frunk" whereas the 85D dual motor takes up a big chunk of space. For most, it's a non-factor.
For me, I use that frunk for my baby stroller and have my entire trunk for road trips.

Some people prefer RWD for the driving feel, while others will comment on the more planted secure feeling of AWD. I think you really can't go wrong with either.
I love my P85+ with AP, the big frunk, the AP, and the tens of thousands of dollars I got to keep in my pocket...

As for AWD... Meh, it's not nearly as important as people seem to think. of the last 4 personal vehicles all have been RWD, 2 have had a lever I could pull for 4WD, but I almost never used it (and when I did, it was not on a roadway)
Good tires are far more important.

It's not even the argument that AWD is important, but it's just such a different feeling. I'd say the D provides much more confidence behind the wheel, but the P85+ is a car that will listen to the driver and go wherever it's told (essentially) without limits.

Well UThomas that is a really nice find on your part. When I first began looking at the Model S the P85+ was "the" high performance model and the one I had configured was in the $120K range. In the rear wheel drive S line, the P85+ with the autopilot sensor package represents the highest point of refinement in that line. I would guess that there are very few P85+ with the sensor package. Perhaps you could inquire more data on that from your sales person. I bet you there were less than 200 made as the P85D took over in short order and many P85+ configs were changed to P85D by request. Certainly the current P cars have taken the Tesla P=Performance line into new areas, but I give you a big thumbs up on that P85+ with sensors. Good Going and good luck with the new S.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yea - I have had an S60 for a while now, and have been eyeing an autopilot 85. Since Tesla can't distribute in Texas directly, they dump inventory cars at a few shops in the major metros. It looks like to hit their sales #'s with the delayed X ramp they just sent a dozen to Houston, of which this was one. They didn't have a clue it was an auto pilot one, and the VIN is in the "suspect" range, but it distinctly has the radar box and sensors and away we go. Surprisingly, my insurance made no distinction between a 2013 S60 and a 2015 P85+ in terms of premium.

Thanks! Yea - I have had an S60 for a while now, and have been eyeing an autopilot 85. Since Tesla can't distribute in Texas directly, they dump inventory cars at a few shops in the major metros. It looks like to hit their sales #'s with the delayed X ramp they just sent a dozen to Houston, of which this was one. They didn't have a clue it was an auto pilot one, and the VIN is in the "suspect" range, but it distinctly has the radar box and sensors and away we go. Surprisingly, my insurance made no distinction between a 2013 S60 and a 2015 P85+ in terms of premium.

Congrats.

I want to upgrade to autopilot as well but was pondering how much difference it will be to sell my S85 to autopilot 85D.

Are you trading in your S60 for this 2015 P85+ ?