Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing VIN 62XXX to VIN 26XXX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JST

May 23, 2013
My S85 went in for the driveline replacement yesterday, so I got a service loaner. Fortuitously, it was also an S85, allowing me to make some back to back comparisons.

A lot of this is old news, but some of the little differences were interesting.

The new car has greater resolution on the parking sensors (meaning that the arc of the sensors is broken into more segments), and a broader sweep of coverage. It also seemed to be a little less alarmist about activating the "OMG Stop"" chime.

The newer stalk control layout is generally quite nice, especially when it comes to the turn signal and cruise controls. OTOH, I thought that the shift lever was actually a step backward; by making it symmetrical with the stalk on the other side, they've made it seem more like the wiper stalk you'd find on most other cars. I'd rather have something like the old design that more clearly stands out as having a different function.

The black alcantara headliner is nice enough, but it kind of makes the car feel like a cave. It may have been just me, but the hip point of the seats also seemed higher in the new car--these were the stock seats, not the "next gen" units. It felt like I had less headroom in the new car.

The taller rear set headrests are extremely annoying, and make rear visibility (which already isn't great) substantially worse. I wish those could be folded when not in use.

Lane departure warning is...a feature. I suppose it's helpful. Mostly I found it irritating when I clipped the apex on on and off ramps. I don't know why anyone wants a self-driving car, though, so I am the wrong person to ask about its merits.

The iBooster brake setup is a mixed bag. It definitely has a more uniform, consistent feel, and it makes the old vacuum booster in my car feel spongy by comparison. Nevertheless, it also feels overboosted and touchy in parking situations, and the release of the hill hold function comes through the pedal in a more obtrusive way than in the old car. I'd say I probably prefer the new system overall, but it's not a slam dunk.

The newer car had 21" wheels, which continue to look the business, but my time with the car confirmed the wisdom of ordering the 19s. The 21s have substantially more impact harshness; any improvement in handling, turn-in, or steering feel (if it exists) was imperceptible to me in street driving. If I keep the car long enough to need new tires, I'll keep the 19s and go with a slightly more aggressive set of summer tires.

The black alcantara headliner is nice enough, but it kind of makes the car feel like a cave. It may have been just me, but the hip point of the seats also seemed higher in the new car--these were the stock seats, not the "next gen" units. It felt like I had less headroom in the new car.

The first thing I noticed in a next gen P85D test was the higher seat. A subsequent 69xxx loaner, with textile seats, has confirmed for me that all seats are likely higher in the Model S, since perhaps the Auto Pilot changeover. That's too bad. I had problems with the seat belt crossing my neck (short torso), which are now gone as a result, but the right way to fix that would have been to lower the b-pillar mount point. You also didn't mention what I think is a positive, which is that the headrest is now closer to the back of the head. More useful, even if it doesn't make up for the higher seating position.

The black headliners are now a $3,000 option, with the premium package. That is, if you like it. I found out this weekend that the manual liftgate, which you end up with if you do not pay for this option, does not swing up to maximum height on its own. That's good and food for thought for those worried about liftgates hitting ceilings, pipes, etc. A tech rep said it needs to be manually "pushed" to where you want it, unlike normal trunk struts. There have been stories of MS owners having their automatic liftgates bang into things, when not set lower than maximum, and I feared you'd be stuck holding the trunk in these situations.

The first thing I noticed in a next gen P85D test was the higher seat. A subsequent 69xxx loaner, with textile seats, has confirmed for me that all seats are likely higher in the Model S, since perhaps the Auto Pilot changeover. That's too bad. I had problems with the seat belt crossing my neck (short torso), which are now gone as a result, but the right way to fix that would have been to lower the b-pillar mount point. You also didn't mention what I think is a positive, which is that the headrest is now closer to the back of the head. More useful, even if it doesn't make up for the higher seating position.

I'd argue the right way to fix this was to make the seatbelt position adjustable. A lot of other cars have this.

The black headliners are now a $3,000 option, with the premium package. That is, if you like it. I found out this weekend that the manual liftgate, which you end up with if you do not pay for this option, does not swing up to maximum height on its own. That's good and food for thought for those worried about liftgates hitting ceilings, pipes, etc. A tech rep said it needs to be manually "pushed" to where you want it, unlike normal trunk struts. There have been stories of MS owners having their automatic liftgates bang into things, when not set lower than maximum, and I feared you'd be stuck holding the trunk in these situations.

I ordered the black headliner with my car. I believe despite all the pricing changes my build is a little cheaper now and I'd end up with the premium interior and the lighting.

I have bumped my lift gate into the ceiling of the parking garage at work once. Left a very small mar in the coating over the paint (I have OptiCoat, so it's probably just in that) and can be easily fixed later. Since then I've been much more careful with the auto lift gate. But I still like my auto trunk.

- - - Updated - - -

The taller rear set headrests are extremely annoying, and make rear visibility (which already isn't great) substantially worse. I wish those could be folded when not in use.

I really need to make my picture of what you're losing when looking via the rear view mirror. The head rests on the side only barely obscure some edges of the window, most of what is obscured is the frame. So most of what you lose is the middle seat head rest which is much smaller and doesn't really cause much of an issue. I do think the seats themselves are a little taller and that loses you much more view out the back but I'm not sure about that. The only reason I mention this is I remember when I first picked up my S85 the parcel shelf was folded up and I felt like I couldn't see out the back of the car. With my 85D I've ended up driving around with the parcel shelf folded up and didn't even realize it for significant periods of time. So I'm guessing the taller seats themselves are the difference there.

But in practice I don't find the taller seats to make me feel like I'm missing out a lot on rear view. I've certainly had cars with a lot better rear view. The Model S isn't stellar in this area because of the design of the rear. But that's a trend in car design in general.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
A couple months ago I had a loaner 85 VIN 62K. Mine is a P85+ VIN15K. The seating position is noticeably higher in the newer cars. I didn't care for it at all as it felt like I was sitting on top of the car rather than in it. But I come from sports cars so I'm a bit particular about seating position. It did feel good to get back into my P85+ though.

I agree with your assessment that lane departure is a .... feature. And let's leave it at that.

I'd argue the right way to fix this was to make the seatbelt position adjustable. A lot of other cars have this.

I ordered the black headliner with my car. I believe despite all the pricing changes my build is a little cheaper now and I'd end up with the premium interior and the lighting.

I have bumped my lift gate into the ceiling of the parking garage at work once. Left a very small mar in the coating over the paint (I have OptiCoat, so it's probably just in that) and can be easily fixed later. Since then I've been much more careful with the auto lift gate. But I still like my auto trunk.

- - - Updated - - -

I really need to make my picture of what you're losing when looking via the rear view mirror. The head rests on the side only barely obscure some edges of the window, most of what is obscured is the frame. So most of what you lose is the middle seat head rest which is much smaller and doesn't really cause much of an issue. I do think the seats themselves are a little taller and that loses you much more view out the back but I'm not sure about that. The only reason I mention this is I remember when I first picked up my S85 the parcel shelf was folded up and I felt like I couldn't see out the back of the car. With my 85D I've ended up driving around with the parcel shelf folded up and didn't even realize it for significant periods of time. So I'm guessing the taller seats themselves are the difference there.

But in practice I don't find the taller seats to make me feel like I'm missing out a lot on rear view. I've certainly had cars with a lot better rear view. The Model S isn't stellar in this area because of the design of the rear. But that's a trend in car design in general.

It is possible to adjust the maximum height of the auto-lift gate to NOT go to maximum height. Believe you press the trunk button again when the lift gate reaches the height you want.

If you have the tech package, yes. Upon opening it, stop it where you want the set height to be, and then press and hold the trunk close button on the life gate itself until it beeps. From there on, it will open to the set height. You can change the set height at any time. Note, there is only one stored set height -- i.e., you canNOT set one for home and one for work.