Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparision between 2016 vs 2018 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Members,

I am looking to purchase model X but cany make up my mind on whether it is worth spending additional 10k on 2018 X vs 2016 X. Both has FSD & optioned out pretty much same way

Is there any significant difference between both models or save 10k & go with 2016 X

Only advantage with 2016 is it has free SC

Thank you. So there are no significant changes compared between 2016 & 2018. Usually, I would prefer to avoid the first production year hoping manufacturers resolved some of the issues

The only difference I am aware of so far are

1)Falcon wing door button is different between 2016/2018
2)2018 doesn't have ventilated seating/Active spoiler (Thanks @bhorn for mentioning it)

The only difference I am aware of so far are

1)Falcon wing door button is different between 2016/2018
2)2018 doesn't have ventilated seating/Active spoiler (Thanks @bhorn for mentioning it)
I think the active spoiler was only for Performance versions, so are they both P100D? If both are P100D with FSD (that gets needed hardware updates) and if the 2016 has MCU2 update, I would agree that most changes in those 2 years are largely style. I would be curious about any differences in battery degradation.

For whatever it’s worth, here is a brief summary from an old post of some of the changes from early 2017 until the Ravens came out. There are 2 additional cosmetic changes Ive thought of not listed in post below. Not sure timing of them but they are definitely in the 2016 to 2018 comparison:
- A section of the dash had alcantara in earliest builds but was later eliminated. There are those who love it. I’m not one of those.
- Interior trim such as the bezel around the screen went from a chrome to a graphite color.

Shiny to matte seat backs changed March 2017.

7-seat monoposts changed to bench fold-down in July 2017.

Also in July 2017, leather seat options disappeared. The options became black, white or cream vegan or textile black.

They redefined what is in the premium upgrades package at least twice in 2017.

In June 2018, they changed the wood that comes with the cream interior from a darker walnut(?) to a light oak.

July 2018 the Premium upgrades package became part of the base model.

October 2018 is when they eliminated a number of options for both interior and exterior. I know textile seats, console for 6 seater, silver and obsidian black exteriors were eliminated. I don’t recall any new ones being offered at that time, as they were simplifying for manufacturing ease.

The Raven came out spring 2019.

Constant little things changing, but these are mostly cosmetic choices until the Raven. Perhaps the biggest change I listed here is when the PUP started being a part of the base model. Prior to that, the car might not have all options. Still, Aug 2017 to Spring 2019 model X can be essentially the same if MCU2 upgrade is done for any build before March 2018. And arguably those before Aug 2017, with AP2.0, are also close to the same with the MCU2 upgrade.

Last edited:
I think the active spoiler was only for Performance versions, so are they both P100D? If both are P100D with FSD (that gets needed hardware updates) and if the 2016 has MCU2 update, I would agree that most changes in those 2 years are largely style. I would be curious about any differences in battery degradation.

For whatever it’s worth, here is a brief summary I put together of some of the changes from early 2017 until the Ravens came out.
This is great info.2016 is 90D & 2018 is 100D & both have FSD.2016 has Free supercharging. Also, both have FSD.

Is there any way I can know if FSD on the cars is based on a Monthly subscription(Not sure how to differentiate between subscription-based & purchased one)?
How to know if the car I am purchasing has shudder issues? Am I going to definitely notice it when driving?

Found the answer for FSD Subscription vs permanent.Adding info here for future references.

Credit: @Punkabilly for posting the pics in another discussion

Attachments

• 20221030_195912.jpg
    20221030_195912.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 82
This is great info.2016 is 90D & 2018 is 100D & both have FSD.2016 has Free supercharging. Also, both have FSD.

Is there any way I can know if FSD on the cars is based on a Monthly subscription(Not sure how to differentiate between subscription-based & purchased one)?
How to know if the car I am purchasing has shudder issues? Am I going to definitely notice it when driving?
I had a '16 90D and have a 2017 100D. I'd 100% get the 2018 100D if you are planning on road tripping and/or keeping the car for a long while. The 10 kWh has been significant for us.

You'd notice the sudder issue when doing 0-60 type of testing. It would be obvious.