Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Between Tesla Model 3 and Polestar 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I'll try this too in case Elon's voodoo magic works: I just scheduled a test drive of a Polestar 2 for today at 12 PST.

If anyone is interested I'll let you know my thoughts vs. the Model 3 (which I've driven for 4 years).

OK, here are some quick thoughts on the dual motor Model 3 vs. the dual motor Polestar 2. (TL;DR: I'm keeping my new Model 3 order)

The Polestar 2 is a very nice car but clearly a more traditional car than the Model 3. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes. The car I examined and test drove was one with the Plus and Pilot packages. The Plus package includes things like the glass roof and heated rear seats and is necessary to configure the car comparably to the Model 3. The Pilot package includes things similar to Tesla's Autopilot and is also required for a more apples to apples comparison to the Model 3. There is also a Performance package, which I did not drive, which adds bits like better brakes, tunable suspension and different visible accents. The Performance package does not actually make the car any faster and it's not necessary for a balanced comparison with the Model 3. I've driven a Model 3 for the last 4 years so that's my frame of reference. Here are some random observations in no particular order:
  • The first thing everyone will notice is that the dual motor Polestar 2 has a much shorter range at 249 miles than the dual motor Model 3 (358 miles) despite having a similarly sized battery. Possibly part of that is that the rated range of the Polestar might be more realistic and more achievable than the "optimistic" rating of the Tesla. But no matter how you slice it the Model 3 is just much more efficient. That might change if what the sales rep claimed is actually true: He claimed that an update is imminent that will add about 50 miles to the range of all versions of the Polestar 2. If that's true and the range becomes close to 300 miles, and if it's more realistic than Tesla's range rating, then that would put the Polestar 2 in the same class as the Model 3. But that's a big "IF." I'll apply the same rule for Polestar sales reps as I do to Tesla sales advisors: they mean well but they usually have no idea what they're talking about.
  • The Polestar 2 can use fast charging networks such as Electrify America which are popping up all over the U.S. But the Model 3 uses Tesla's supercharger network which simply has no peer right now. If you stay on the beaten path for your long-distance travels then the Polestar 2 and Electrify America are probably just fine. But if you drive long distance often or to a lot of different places in the U.S. then because of this and the longer range you really, REALLY want a Tesla right now. Things are probably different and much more even in Europe and other non-North American countries.
  • The Polestar 2 is a nice looking car. The Model 3 is a nice looking car. The have very different styles inside and out but I like them both. This is entirely subjective so your opinion on looks is more important than mine anyway. I noticed no imperfections or build quality issues on the Polestar 2 test drive vehicle. But of course I've never noticed imperfections in a Tesla test drive vehicle either so that's not saying much.
  • The dual motor Model 3 is noticeably faster. The Polestar 2 has that instant torque that EVs are known for and like the Model 3 has an extra satisfying kick when you floor it when already traveling around 10 MPH to 30 MPH. In that range it easily surpasses what you'd get from a RWD Model 3 and is close to what you'd get from an AWD Model 3. But the Model 3 wins off the line. The Polestar 2 is by no definition slow off the line but it seems a little more subdued than the Model 3. The Polestar 2 is also a tiny bit less "instant" than the Model 3. It's a tiny amount of lag that is still far superior to any gas car but the Model 3 has even tinier accelerator lag. (I tested the Polestar 2 mainly in Sport mode.) Is the Polestar 2 quick enough and fast enough for just about anyone? Absolutely. Is the Model 3 a little quicker? Yes. But take my performance observations with a grain of salt because the test car provided to me had only 24% battery when I got it. If it's like a Tesla then it might simply be slower when the battery is low.
  • Surprisingly (to me), the Polestar 2 has better and more comfortable one-pedal driving than the Model 3. It has a good amount of regen but somehow driving is smoother than in the Model 3. The Model 3 is less forgiving; it can feel a little jerky at times if you don't modulate the accelerator pedal exactly right. That's probably a trade-off with the "instant" feel of the Model 3. The Polestar 2 takes a fraction of a second longer to smooth driver input out to good effect.
  • The steering on the Polestar 2 I drove was very disappointing. It has 3 levels, but even in the "firm" level there is a huge dead zone and there was absolutely zero road feel. It felt like I was steering a minivan. Lot's of cars on the road have steering like this but usually not cars with performance like this. There is a Performance package with different suspension that probably has better steering feel than this but I didn't try it. I consider the steering in the non-Performance Model 3 just "above average" but it's a lot better than that in the non-Performance Polestar 2.
  • The Polestar 2 feels a bit smaller inside than the Model 3. That's probably because the Polestar 2 IS smaller inside than the Model 3. The back seats especially feel a bit more cramped than the Model 3 and you can forget about a normal-sized human sitting in the middle of the back seat because of the huge hump running down the middle of the floor. Despite there being a little less room the seating position for the 2 outside rear seats might be slightly more comfortable than the Model 3 because the footwells are deeper. But who cares about that? Important people sit up front! The trunk of the Model 3 is definitely bigger than in the Polestar 2 but the Polestar has a hatchback which makes it more usable. I forgot to look at the front trunk (frunk) of the Polestar 2 but the internet says it has one similar to the Model 3.
  • The center screen on the Polestar 2 is fantastic. It's smaller than the Model 3 screen but frankly looks and feels better. The layout is logical, intuitive and easy to figure out on the fly. The dark color scheme is very soothing but also very legible. The navigation in the Model 3 is excellent but Google Maps in the Polestar 2 is even better. None of the screen is wasted on fancy, cool looking AI visualizations that serve absolutely no useful purpose for the driver. Being able to run supported Android apps directly on the car screen is fantastic. The screen even looks clearer, sharper and more glare-free than the Model 3's screen. The Model 3 definitely has a lot more options on its screen and if you're an option tweaker like I am then that's a plus but if you're someone who just wants to drive a car the Polestar 2 wins hands down. I've driven a lot of cars with big screens for the center display and frankly the portrait orientation in the Polestar (and Model S/X) is just better from a usability and readability standpoint than the landscape orientation in the Model 3. The scary thing is this is Google's and Polestar's first attempt at this interface. As time progresses it's very easy to predict that this interface will far, FAR outclass Tesla's in the future. Tesla's screen is "cool" but they have a lot of work to do to make it more usable for driving.
  • If the center screen weren't fantastic enough, the Polestar 2 has a very large instrument panel screen behind the steering wheel that is pure AWESOME. It can show your speed, efficiency and a nice big detailed navigation map right in your field of view. Yes, you can get used to only using the center screen (and I have) but no one should have to live like that. I would gladly pay an extra $1,000 for my Tesla if the company would just add an instrument panel display as good as this one.
  • The Polestar 2 has a much more traditional interior than the Model 3. Part of that is having an instrument panel display in the traditional place behind the steering wheel but it is also because it has a minimal amount of physical controls for basic features. I like the minimalist aesthetic, but it a trade-off with usability. A physical volume knob is simply more convenient for the driver and passenger than the on-screen or steering wheel control. Being able to turn the wipers on to a certain level without taking your eyes off the road is more than just nice, it's safer. The first time I explained to someone in my Model 3 how to adjust the climate control vent it was really cool. But the 100th time it's just annoying. The same thing goes for even more basic things like how to simply open the doors from both the outside and the inside. The first time I explained it to someone it was fun in a check-out-my-cool-high-tech-car kind of way. Now, after having explained how to open the doors a thousand times, I just want to kick Elon in the giblets. The Polestar 2 interior and ergonomics are nice looking in a traditional yet boring way. The Model 3 interior looks much more spartan in a really cool way but the ergonomics suffer.
  • The Polestar 2 with the Plus package has seats covered with a synthetic material called Weavetech. It looks nice and feels nice. I was told that you can option the Polestar 2 with real leather as well. The Model 3 just has fake leather. I have owned a lot of cars with real leather over the years and I can 100% say that the fake leather in the Model 3 is better in just about every way. The seats in my Model 3 looked like new after 4 years. I've never been able to say that about leather. The Model 3's seats are easy to clean and require zero maintenance. When I first ordered my Model 3 I was sad that I couldn't option real leather but not anymore. I will never go back to real leather again when I can get the kind of good fake stuff that's in the Model 3. I don't know how Weavetech compares to Tesla's fake leather over time. But I can say I'm very happy with what Tesla has in the Model 3.
  • This should be no surprise to anyone who's read up on these cars but the Polestar 2 has a quieter ride than the Model 3 and does a better job at isolating the passengers from road noise. The Model 3 has gotten better at this over the years but it is still not one of its strong points.
  • The stereo in the Polestar 2 (with the Plus package) sounds good and gets plenty loud. The stereo in the Model 3 (AWD and above) doesn't quite get as loud (though still loud) but sounds even better than that of the Polestar. Both cars have good upgraded stereos but the Tesla get's the nod for better fidelity.
Overall, the Polestar 2 is a good car. Overall, the Model 3 is a good car. But for the things I care about the Model 3 is just a little bit better for the price. The Polestar 2 does qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit in the U.S. and that brings it down to about the same price range as the Model 3 when similarly equipped (Plus and Pilot packages for the Polestar, AWD trim for the Model 3). The Polestar 2 feels slightly higher quality and the ergonomic choices made by Polestar won't drive you nuts like they can in the Tesla. But the Model 3 has better fundamentals like range, efficiency, charging infrastructure and performance and those things are what's most important to me. So even at the same price the Tesla wins for me. If the congress in the U.S. passes new EV credits that would apply to the Model 3 it would be no contest at all; the Model 3 would be considerably cheaper and have better fundamentals.

Last edited:
I test drove a Polestar 2 last year and was generally unimpressed. The exterior of the car looks nice, but the inside was super tiny, and the oversized center console made me feel claustrophobic.

Acceleration and range were lower than a similarly priced M3, and the prices were nearly the same.

Down a Volvo XC 40 P8, so a non-identical twin to the Polestar 2. The Volvo is an SUV vs the sedan. Otherwise they're the same running gear and platform, with some minor differences in display.
In order:
1. my Model S Plaid uses 42% less electrons than does the Volvo. Factually, comparing my driving and use for both. Point one for Tesla.
2. The controls are traditional ICE from the platform, essentially the same as the Polestar. They're clunky and old fashioned but the work. Point 2 for the Tesla.
3. The navigation is pure Google, a great thing. When I use Google maps on my iPhone the plan instantly appears as the first trip in the Volvo. Point 3 for the Volvo.
4. The app links work easily and well in both, but the Volvo is easier to sue, even though the Tesla has more choices, I prefer the Google. point 4 for the Volvo.
5. Although it's electronic the Volvo requires a key. The Tesla uses the phone. Really big plus for the Tesla. Point 5 to Tesla.
6. Both cars can use Tidal, but Tidal in the Volvo is seamless with every other option, a bit easier than Tesla. point 6 a tie.
7. Navigation on the road. Until recently that would ahem been a Tesla win, but now Google maps uses all the Waze data natively. It is very, very nice to see road blockages or congestion almost instantly. In my urban life that is a huge advantage. point 7 is a solid Volvo win.
8. Both cars have excellent sound systems. The Plaid is nice because of ANC, newly enabled, that makes the front seats quieter. The Volvo google systems is more versatile and easy to use. Both are leagues ahead of my previous P3D an early 2018 one. point 8 is a wash for both but far better than older Tesla.
9. Finding charging iocations on the road. Google duplicates every charger that has multiple networks, sponsors or property owners. My local Supermarket charging post shows a three (supermarket name, network name and BMW (the site sponsor). They sometimes have charging speed but don't show availability. Point 9 Solid win Tesla.
9. Driving in very close quarters. Sadly I do this regularly. The Volvo shows 360 degree image but the images are wildly misshapen. OTOH, the sensors do have color coping and buzzers. The Tesla just has noise unless it is REALLY tight, in which case it shows inches or mm. To my surprise the Tesla is easier to use. FWIW on this point I have been in very, very tight spots with a Model X, Model S Plaid, older S and Model 3 and the Volvo. To my surprise the Tesla is easier to use because the sensors are very precise. The Volvo seems better but distortion and vagueness make it less usable. Thus point 9 goes to Tesla.
10. Steering feel, handling and noise. This category has taken some time. There are pros and cons for both. The Tesla is, when set in Sport, more sensitive. The Volvo has no feeling at all and is very light. The Tesla handles more securely but the Volvo seems a trifle smoother for passengers. Point 10 goes to Tesla
11. Diagnosis and problem resolution. The Volvo has digital diagnostics but not OTA so one must trek to the nice dealer, who then must refer by email to Volvo to solve the problems. We are all Tesla owners so we're accustomed to OTA. The Geely group will get there, but they're not now. Point 11 to Tesla.

Obviously I'm comparing an SUV to a sedan. I have lots of experience with both Model Y Performance and Model X, so mostly this is probably Geely group CMA platform vs Tesla. I made no comments about spaciousness since this is apples and oranges in that respect. For daily ease of life the Tesla is easier. Thus far I have had two minor problems with the Volvo so two trips to the dealer, wait, etc. That has grown old quickly. I don't care for the two year mandatory maintenance either, although while it is in warranty that is free.

Balancing all

More great, detailed info. Thanks. I find reviews like this extremely informative, and interesting.

The Polestar 2 sales numbers in North America appear to be very low, although they are doing somewhat better in Europe. It will be interesting to see what Polestar/Volvo do with their upcoming dedicated EV platform with the Polestar 3 (and its Volvo offshoots). A dedicated platform will probably help with some of the physical shortcomings of the Polestar 2, although it also will be interesting to see if they can improve on the underlying electric drivetrain technology as well. The Polestar 2 looks ok - quite nice in some ways, but aspects of it have the appearance of 'gotta get an EV on the market'. The next iteration should be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlThompson
One strong impression I have of the Polestar 2 is it really wasn't designed for the American market. And that might be why I liked it so much. 😂

I mean c'mon, that cupholder situation...it's a throwback to European cars before most of them started taking cupholders seriously for 'Murica. And the P2 is a hatchback but not a crossover. Hatches do sell here but not like crossovers or sedans. And its shorter length + tighter turning circle than a Model 3 is most useful in dense cities...which Europe has more of than America. I bet a majority of American car buyers would rather the P2 be a few inches longer for more legroom in the back.

Polestar says the P3 will be designed for and made in America. I expect it will sell much better here than the P2. But I'll prefer the P2. ;)

(I'm still grateful to Tesla for making the S a hatchback!)

Reactions: CarlThompson
I test drove a Polestar 2 and it was beautifully built. Quality control was spot on. But I felt the cabin was claustrophobic. It was somewhat fast but nowhere near as fast as the M3P. I wasn't nuts at all about the Android based user interface. Car handled very well. Range is not good.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and KenC
We drove a model Y and ordered one. The next weekend we drove a Polestar 2.. lasted 3 mins and gave it back. I do have a Caddie on reservation but I won't actually buy till I can sit in and drive one. But the model Y is our choice so far. . AKA.. the wife's choice.. I'm a spectator :D

I would very much look forward (especially based on the comments here) to test driving the Polestar, to see where the "field" of EVs is growing. BUT, I'll never buy a car in which the only infotainment option is a Google product. I'm not interested in giving Google any more personal information than I already "have" to, and I wouldn't trust that my information in the Polestar wouldn't end up there. Just my $.02.

Reactions: j_j_g and Shelburne
IMG_7812.jpg

Long story short, we had to pick up a PS2, fully loaded in February after our MY Performance was sideswiped. (We are still waiting for a Model S LR on order, hopefully June/July) I will post a longish term review over the weekend. Does anyone have any questions?

View attachment 809610

Long story short, we had to pick up a PS2, fully loaded in February after our MY Performance was sideswiped. (We are still waiting for a Model S LR on order, hopefully June/July) I will post a longish term review over the weekend. Does anyone have any questions?

I see you got the performance package. Very sweet looking car and they look even better in real life. Congratulations!

Reactions: ForDesign
View attachment 809610

Would be very interested in hearing about the ride quality over a variety of surfaces with the performance suspension. I think Polestar sets the Ohlins (for the U.S.) to a slightly softer setting than midpoint now. It was the one recurring complaint from test drivers (the firm ride). Conversely, I find high end suspensions can be setup as "firm", but still have a quality to them that makes them feel pretty dang good.

I did rent a Polestar 2 on Turo last September for a day....rented a Model Y LR the prior two days...will post my own comments too. Spoiler rear auto brake is whiplash -fest).

Here is my review of the Polestar 2 (posted on the Polestar forum) after my one day Turo test drive last September...I did this right after my 2 day Turo test drive of the Model Y Long Range:

So here's my whopper first post to the PS forum and it comes as a "first impressions" review of sorts comparing the PS2 and the Model Y LR. I rented both of these on Turo as I like to get looong test drives in on cars I might consider buying...in this case as possible replacements for our 8 year old Tesla Model S P85+. If it helps, we also own a Volvo XC60 R-Design...with the Polestar tuning software. (i.e. I had actually "heard" of Polestar! )

For those not familiar with the Model S P85+ - it is RWD with a 0-60 time of anywhere from 3.9-4.4 secs depending on which test outlet you believe. The "+" package in 2013 consisted of larger staggered tires and a sport-tuned air suspension. I actually run the 19" rims on mine as the 21" PS2s were just too noisy.

First, the 3 cars are, of course, in entirely different categories. You have my large kind-of-luxury 8 year old Model S fastback, the small SUV/CUV Model Y and the small sport sedan/pseudo crossover fastback Polestar 2 -but such is life when looking at cars in the electric space…choice is still pretty limited.

Anyway, it is a bit difficult to know where to start, but here goes (hope you have some free time):

2021 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range, 20” black Induction Rims, Midnight Silver Metallic:
So we rented this for 2 full days and I was off work those 2 days so I had plenty of time to drive it. Indeed, I know we put at least 200 miles on it. I wanted to rent it as it is a strong contender to replace our Model S (which is now 8 years old, has 88K miles on it, and is 100% out of warranty – aka no more battery or motor warranty). I had also test driven a Model Y performance and felt the dreaded “buffeting” that I had experienced with my Model S early on – and I was NOT looking for a repeat of that. I wanted to test the car longer and even spend some time triaging the buffeting (note: see 27 page thread here for a reference: Ear pain/Pressure help).

Pick up was a bit rocky as the renter did it all remotely and had some issues unlocking the car, but he figured it out and we were on our way after a 15 ore 20 minute delay. As an FYI, you can text the owner through the Turo app, but there is separate “contact owner” link that allows you to SMS or message them…had to resort to the latter. The specifics:

Acceleration
The car is quick, both from a stop and when accelerating at speed (i.e. freeway passing, etc.). It has been a while since I tested a Model Y performance, but honestly, I think it felt pretty darn similar. As I understand it, the primary difference between the “regular” and “performance” is all in the 0-30 time. While I would normally ALWAYS go for the faster performance models, I’m not sure it is worth it here as it just didn’t come across as lacking…admittedly, the regular Model Y price has risen significantly while the performance hasn’t as much…so that delta is smaller. You can, of course, split the difference and pay (post-purchase) $2K for the “Acceleration Boost” upgrade.

Handling/Ride Quality/Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH):
I lump the items above together simply because they are, inevitably interrelated.

The handling of the Y was “fine” – there really isn’t a lot to complain about in normal driving. However, it does get a tad wallowy under harder acceleration (especially if you are whipping around someone). However, while I did nail it on several occasions, I didn’t find the car ever really inspired me to “play”. Sure the battery pack is low (like with every EV), and it has more than enough power, but “drive it fast for fun” just wasn’t at the top of the list and I settled in to just “driving it” normally most of the time, with a few bouts of quick acceleration. Honestly, that describes how I drive my S most of the time too…although perhaps I do drive it with a bit more vigor.

The ride quality, was in the OK to “meh” range. It was always a bit busy with too much head toss. We drove it on a ton of roads over those 200 miles and got as good a feel for it as we were gonna get. Over smooth roads it was mostly fine, but even smooth roads “aren’t” so you still had a bit more of the road coming through. At low speeds you were just subject to a lot of movement, and the worse the road, the more movement you got. The back seat ride was notably worse than the front seat. I had my wife drive around with me back there. I get car sick and after about 10 or 15 minutes, felt a slight sensation of that cropping up over some of the worst roads. Honestly, I think both Tesla and other automakers are struggling with this on electric vehicles. They are so darn heavy that you really need a premium suspension to deal with it. This is, IMO, especially true in a taller vehicle like the Model Y. The S and X (which also aren’t perfect) at least have the air suspension and (as of 2019) the adaptive dampers as well. The Y has neither (although there is a rumor it might get the air suspension at some point…but the same thing was true for the Model 3 and that never happened). On most cars, the aftermarket addresses the enthusiast who wants more performance…but for the Model 3 and Y, they come out with a more COMFORTABLE suspension (MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers ) …but these coilovers ain’t cheap at $2780 (MPP Model Y Comfort Adjustable Coilovers - Mountain Pass Performance)! I know all that sounds harsh (no pun intended), but it is still a livable suspension, but it could get “old” for some people – especially if you don’t get used to it quickly.

The NVH in the vehicle was better than expected. There is more impact harshness (see ride quality) and those impacts were felt AND heard in the car, but overall it was quieter than I was expecting. Stil, not awesome, but reasonable overall. This car did have the double-paned front wide windows which may have helped a little bit. It was noisier in the back seat, but still livable. The one notable exception to this was the boominess I spent some time triaging. It was definitely there. I adjusted the hatch adjusters and even made some more solid rubber discs as I made a change, tested, it made another change, tested it, etc. After 3 or 4 rounds I decided the best compromise was just the factory adjusters set to contact the body just tight enough that I could barely pull a piece of paper out when shut. I would still try more if I got one, but it was tolerable at that point – not great, but OK.

I think it is important to note that I don’t think the rim size makes a lot of difference in any of this. This car had the upcharge 20” rims over the base 19” rims, but frankly, I remember the ride quality on the performance Y (with 21”) being similar…albeit the boominess was worse and that might be more difficult to quell on 21s. I’m not a fan of the solid black wheels though in terms of cosmetics. Ironically, when I test drove a Model 3 performance, I actually thought that suspension felt BETTER than the earlier model 3 I rented.

One Pedal Driving / Regen
The regenerative braking is seriously strong on this car, and, I suspect is similar across all of the Teslas now. I point this out because my 2013 is a rear motor only car and the regen is simply less on the one motor cars. You can definitely do one pedal driving in this thing and I’d have little use for even more regen (i.e. not missing a “regen paddle” like the Chevy Bolt has). I actually felt it was a little too aggressive, but I assume I would get used to it after a while. More annoying was the accelerator pedal stiffness…just seriously stiff. I’m sure, again, I would get used to it, but it just seems unnecessarily so.

AutoPilot
My own older Model S doesn’t have autopilot, but I’ve played with it on a couple of loaners and on test drives. Still, this was my first go at trying it for any length of time. Overall, I was impressed. It just worked without any real drama (indeed, better than I remember from past loaners and tests). Ironically, that stiff accelerator pedal had me engaging it a bit more just for some relief (yeah, yeah, a nit). Still, I didn’t encounter any phantom braking, lane confusion, ping-ponging, etc. Conditions were clear, but there was reasonable amounts of traffic. The biggest annoyances were having to apply as much wheel torque as needed every 30 seconds or so and the inability to have it change lanes and remain in AP (car did not have FSD). Still – no real complaints.

Interior & UI
This car had the black interior and honestly it felt a bit more “closed in” than I anticipated. It wasn’t a tomb or anything in there, but general a bit “enclosed”. Visibility out of the car wasn’t great. The rear visibility is mediocre, but the bigger problem was the side mirrors are just too, darn small! When you couple that with the ¾ rear blind spots, well, not ideal. It does have more than adequate rom inside and the hatch area, in particular, is really good – probably best in class (MAYBE Audi etron has more??). That storage space is, I’m sure, key for many people. I think it even rivals our S…it is certainly taller inside.

The seating position is upright, but the car is still easy to drive as it isn’t like a giant SUV. I did find the seats to be comfortable (squishy), but after a long day of driving I began to feel like I was compressing that seat foam all the way down and was sitting on the harder, flatter surface. Kind of weird in that regard.

The single screen UI is fine…when taken in isolation. We almost immediately got used to the fact that there was no IP – and I experienced the same on previous test drives. What I don’t care for is Tesla’s misuse of space in that single 15” UI. That left 1/3 of the screen being dedicated to the car functions is too much. Heck, at least give me the option to swipe it narrower. What I really want is MORE MAP and better turn by turn nav. This is where the Model S shines in comparison. It isn’t that it has a IP per se, it is that it simply has more screen real-estate (both with the larger center screen and the IP screen) – that simply allows for more info to be displayed. Both my wife and I missed having a much larger map view available all the time and the turn-by-turn view in the IP. This was the first test drive where that really became noticeable. Again, could we live with the one screen – yes. Is two screens, with more real estate better – yep!

As an aside, my wife noted the transition to the Y was “easy” and “familiar” relative to the S…and I agree.

2021 Polestar 2 Dual Motor, 19” rims (no PP)
So, I rented this car for just ONE day. It was sort of a fluke as I was browsing Turo and was surprised when I saw one for rent, and further enticed when I saw it was only about a few miles away. The details:

Acceleration:
This car has 400HP and feels similar to the Model Y and maybe a bit less than my P85+. Overall, no shortage of power and zero complaints. The throttle tip-in is a little weird as it isn’t quite as linear feeling as the Y…sort of nothing and then power. Fortunately, it isn’t really annoying (important as I HATE weird throttles that give you nothing and then jerk you forward) as it is more like nothing then gradual power.

Handling/Ride Quality/Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH):
So, the Polestar 2 is SMALL. Think of it like an older 3 series (back before the 3 was the size of an older 5). It’s wheelbase is 107.7”. Compare that to the wheelbase of my Model S (116.5), the Model 3 (113.2), and the Model Y (116.7). That small size colors a lot of things about it – both good and bad. Ironically, the ride height is only 1” shorter than the Y – splitting the difference between the Y and 3 …a pseudo crossover.

On the upside, it handles reasonably well. Not perfect (still a bit disconnected from the road), but much better than the Y and better than my S. Unlike the Y, it DID inspire both me and my wife to play with it. It is clearly aimed at the Model 3 and not the Y. The more we drove it, the more we liked it and wanted to drive it. This car had the base suspension. There is an optional (like $5k) performance package that includes big brakes, bigger wheels, and Ohlins adjustable dampers. This is the one most of the original reviewers have reviewed. Now, Ohlins makes high end stuff…but the problem here is they put MANUALLY adjustable dampers on the performance model…NORMAL PEOPLE AREN’T GOING TO JACK THEIR CAR UP TO ADJUST THE DAMPERS!

The ride quality was a mixed bag. Like the Y, I think it struggles to deal with the weight. The dampers are better than the Y in that there is less impact harshness (or maybe it is just better bushings), and less jiggling over normal road surfaces. Unfortunately, that short wheelbase (which makes it fun to drive) exacts a penalty here over rougher surfaces and undulating freeways. I rode in the back at one point while my wife drove and hit some undulating freeway dips…I think I launched into the air briefly…whoo hoo! So, while the win goes to the Polestar vs. the Y in terms of ride quality it is hardly all upside. All of the reviewers who tested the performance package cars (with the Ohlins) said it rode too firm (even when adjusted for max comfort), so that doesn’t sound like it would be an improvement. However, I would still like to drive one with those dampers simply because a good damper can be “firm” but still impart a “quality” to the damping that simply comes across as better (i.e. less jounce on rebound, etc.) – so would like to feel it for myself. So, while not great, it was tolerable and the “fun” factor made it seem like less of a trade-off.

As to NVH, well…surprise, it had some boominess too. Weirdly, I am starting to see some trends on these “heavy” EVs. This car is ALSO a hatch (fastback) which I think (actually, I am sure) contributes to this. I didn’t bother to mess with it (only had a one day rental), but a bit annoying. Other than that, no real issues or weirdness.

Interior and Tech
So this car had “cloth/vegan” seats (finally, a use for vegans) vs. the fake leather seats in the Y (or real leather in my Model S). The seats were low and firm. Since I am old, I ended up adjusting them to be higher. There is a ridiculously expensive leather option (like $4k…ouch). They felt pretty good after a day of driving, but we didn’t put as many miles on the Polestar (maybe 100 miles total). Somewhat surprisingly, the car felt more open and did have better exterior visibility (excluding the tiny rear window) than the Y…although the Model S was better than both. You will, like the S sit “low” regardless compared to the Y, but the seats are more raised off the floor (sort of a spilt between the S and the Y). You also don’t sit knee-high in the rear (like you do with the Model 3).

(update: since I wrote this a neighbor purchased a Polestar 2 with the pricey leather upgrade seats...MUCH nicer IMO, but only available in the tan and with certain exterior colors for 2022; For 2023 the leather option is now gray and available with more colors...still pricey...like 4500 I think)

The a/c vent situation was a little weird – the two center vents were high and partially blocked by the screen…whoops….goofy oversight.

On the tech front, this car has the new Google Auto UI (not to be confused with Android Auto that you “cast” from your phone). Honestly, it is pretty good out of the box. It has a large vertical center screen, but it is only 11” (vs. the Model Y’s 15” screen and the S’ 17” screen). However, like the S, it has the instrument panel screen which simply provides for more real estate. In this cases, it means the entire center screen could be the map navigation, while the IP had other info and its own navigation view (similar to Audi’s). Weirdly, we were playing a song (from the YouTube Music app) and while the map was up on the center screen it wasn’t showing the song that was playing. There might have been a setting somewhere, but it wasn’t immediately evident. Oh and it lost the pairing to my phone from one day to the next…it all seems a bit beta, but the closest experience I’ve seen to Tesla so far.

Pilot Assist
Pilot Assist is Volvo’s (I mean “Polestar’s”) equivalent to Autopilot (i.e. adaptive cruise w/ autosteer) and it was surprisingly good. If the Tesla’s system was a 9, the Volvo’s was a 7.5 or 8. It had a little more ping-pong effect, but overall was way more similar than different – it definitely isn’t just adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. On the upside, it required less “aggressive” wheel movement intervention than the Tesla. Still, Tesla is a notch better here.

CAVEAT – WHIPLASH AT NO CHARGE!
Sooooo one stupid caveat which almost ruined the entire Polestar experience for us. We picked up the car, drove home, grabbed a quick bite to eat and then left for a test drive. We backed down our driveway which isn’t that steep, and as it got to the bottom of the driveway the rear parking sensor started to alert. It does this occasionally on the Model S too as it briefly thinks the car is going to hit the “ground”. In this case however, the automatic rear emergency braking kicked in and slammed on the brake and immediately stopped the car. It was so friggin’ abrupt it felt like we had gotten rear-ended. I tried to move again and it did it AGAIN. We ended up driving back up the driveway, turning around at the top and driving out forward. This was so crazily abrupt that our necks literally hurt for the rest of the day. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but even a day later it still hurt. Of course I found some posts on the Polestar forum complaining about this and the “terror” folks experience backing into their garage, etc. You can, fortunately, disable it, but you have to do it every time you drive…ridiculous...and especially so from a safety conscious Volvo partner!

(Update: since I wrote this, Polestar released software update version 1.9. Oddly enough it seems to have both improved this issue for some people and introduced or made it worse for others...clearly more work to be done here...or just make it so it can be permanently turned off!)

Pics:
Everyone has seen a Y so no pics of it, but here is the Polestar: 2021 - Polestar 2 Test Drive

Summary:
So, a mixed bag overall. The Y is a solid car, with plenty of power, lots of room and decent handling but a bit rough riding, with compromised side mirrors and less than perfect UI and side mirror visibility. I just wish I was more “enthusiastic” about it. The Polestar has a lot going for it, has a nice UI, and good build quality but is simply SMALL, and also has a rougher ride – the fun factor is compelling, but so is whiplash (on the other end of spectrum!).

It’s also hard to drop $60K on anything I’m not 100% sold on…especially when I’m driving a paid off S with better ride quality than either the Y or Polestar and as much storage capacity as the Y. It isn’t as fun as the Polestar, but maybe splits the difference between the Y and Pstar. As a side note, both the Y and 2 were more quiet at freeway speeds than my S (unfortunately).

Overall, the Polestar made me realize I need to legitimately consider other non-Tesla EVs. While I didn’t monitor the range closely, it was apparent the Model Y was underperforming relative to its range estimate (like all Teslas) while the Polestar was, minimally, on target. The stupid “supercharging” thing is always the elephant in the room, but if we have at least one gas car, it may not be the be all / end all that it is made out to be.

The end…finally!

Would be very interested in hearing about the ride quality over a variety of surfaces with the performance suspension. I think Polestar sets the Ohlins (for the U.S.) to a slightly softer setting than midpoint now. It was the one recurring complaint from test drivers (the firm ride). Conversely, I find high end suspensions can be setup as "firm", but still have a quality to them that makes them feel pretty dang good.

I did rent a Polestar 2 on Turo last September for a day....rented a Model Y LR the prior two days...will post my own comments too. Spoiler rear auto brake is whiplash -fest).
We initially had the PS2 set up as ‘firm’ and switched to the ‘comfort’ setting later on during a dealer visit.

On ride quality before/after setting switch:

Before the switch, we noticed a bit more ‘controlled crashing’ over frost heaves and potholes. In other words, while the PS2 wouldn’t let these road events upset it dynamically (moving off its line) it would transmit impact into the cabin/seat areas during those times. While not pleasant, it’s par for a car of this size with 20 inch wheels.

For reference, we’ve owned a Performance MY (2021) & M3 (2019). Over the same stretch of roads, the Teslas will move around on their dampers quite a bit more, with more body roll. But in a twist, the Teslas don’t revert to oversteer as immediately as the PS2.

When set to ‘soft’ the effect is transformative in the PS2. Over the same events described above, far less impact is transferred into the cabin-the ride can be boarder line cosseting at times, considering this is a ‘sporty’ suspension and large wheel set up. It’s comfortable, yet still controlled-but my reference is the above mentioned cars and a GT-R R35. So personal mileage might vary. One thing of note is under steer has increased in this setting.

Hopefully my experience provided some answers!

We initially had the PS2 set up as ‘firm’ and switched to the ‘comfort’ setting later on during a dealer visit.

On ride quality before/after setting switch:

Before the switch, we noticed a bit more ‘controlled crashing’ over frost heaves and potholes. In other words, while the PS2 wouldn’t let these road events upset it dynamically (moving off its line) it would transmit impact into the cabin/seat areas during those times. While not pleasant, it’s par for a car of this size with 20 inch wheels.

For reference, we’ve owned a Performance MY (2021) & M3 (2019). Over the same stretch of roads, the Teslas will move around on their dampers quite a bit more, with more body roll. But in a twist, the Teslas don’t revert to oversteer as immediately as the PS2.

When set to ‘soft’ the effect is transformative in the PS2. Over the same events described above, far less impact is transferred into the cabin-the ride can be boarder line cosseting at times, considering this is a ‘sporty’ suspension and large wheel set up. It’s comfortable, yet still controlled-but my reference is the above mentioned cars and a GT-R R35. So personal mileage might vary. One thing of note is under steer has increased in this setting.

Hopefully my experience provided some answers!
Great info. Did either of you (or anyone else) ride in the rear seat before/after the suspension setting change/ Did you ever happen to test drive a car w/o the performance suspension to compare?