Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of a P85D loaner to my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So dropped my car off for service and got a 14 P85D as a loaner. Other then being very dirty (had to take it to the car wash to get all the bird crap off, lol) it seemed nice. After driving it 125 miles a few things stood out:

1. Ride: It did and didn't ride as nice as the 3... Very strange, on a smooth road it was very nice, quieter then the 3 but over bumps and rough roads? Nope, very bouncy and jarring. To me the 3 is much better in that area.

2. Autopilot: I don't have FSD but this one does. It was far superior keeping within the lane then my 3. Not sure if FSD is just better overall then standard autopilot but my 3 likes to sway in the lane and is very jumpy.

3. Range: The car has 45k on it and looks like its been a hard 45k... I had to stop to SC and message appeared that charge rate was limited due to SC use... great. However the range shown actually was very accurate and on the highway it seemed to get better range then my 3.

4. Seats: they suck... lol 3 is wayyyy better

Obviously its a 2014, 5 years old but it has been interesting seeing the differences.

I drove the same car for two weeks, also a Tesla loaner. I wasn’t impressed with the overall driving experience. The 3 is just more fun to drive, mainly because it’s smaller and more nimble. And I definitely wasn’t impressed by Tesla’s overall servicing of the vehicle. I got a low tire warning as soon as I drove off the parking lot. The car seemed like it was falling apart. Tesla doesn’t seem to pay much attention to their loaner fleet.

Reactions: VRUNNER
That wasnt FSD in a 2014. It was just AP1 using the old mobileeye system. Interesting that you found in better than your 3. Maybe have your 3 checked out. I drive both and while the old AP1 is great, he newer AP on the 3 is better to me, especially for more complicated situations.

Reactions: gaswalla
So dropped my car off for service and got a 14 P85D as a loaner. Other then being very dirty (had to take it to the car wash to get all the bird crap off, lol) it seemed nice. After driving it 125 miles a few things stood out:

1. Ride: It did and didn't ride as nice as the 3... Very strange, on a smooth road it was very nice, quieter then the 3 but over bumps and rough roads? Nope, very bouncy and jarring. To me the 3 is much better in that area.

2. Autopilot: I don't have FSD but this one does. It was far superior keeping within the lane then my 3. Not sure if FSD is just better overall then standard autopilot but my 3 likes to sway in the lane and is very jumpy.

3. Range: The car has 45k on it and looks like its been a hard 45k... I had to stop to SC and message appeared that charge rate was limited due to SC use... great. However the range shown actually was very accurate and on the highway it seemed to get better range then my 3.

Obviously its a 2014, 5 years old but it has been interesting seeing the differences.

I had bad experience with 2014 model S as a loaner. A lot of pets hair and my son got allergy right away. Car has very bad smells and so disgusting. Other car has big patches on tire side wall. That is so dangerous. Someone has to tweet to Elon Musk to get rid off old loaners.

2014 Model S doesn't have FSD. It has an autopilot system developed by MobileEye with 1 camera in the front.

FSD is Tesla developed along with EAP and AP for cars with AP 2.0+. Though late 2016 and earlier was AP1 which was not Tesla developed.

I got a 75D for my last service. The car rode nice but it was definitely not as nimble. Turning in the 3 is much better. The interface with the stalks and screen usage is better on the 3 as well. The S stalks felt cheap and uneeded. The S excels with the second screen though as it works much better displaying your all around and close up views in front of you instead of to the side. I actually preferred the Model S seats. The bolstering was more pronounced. and fit me nicely. Mine didnt even have regular AP though so I drove it the old fashioned way. It was slower but not bad.

I had a new-ish 90D as a loaner once. Similar experience. It felt like driving a big boat compared to the Model 3.
* Took me forever to figure out how to engage AP with that extra stalk. I was hitting controls left and right.
* You call that a rear seat in a premium sedan?!
* The few rattles it did have, somehow sounded more refined than the ones on my Model 3
* Filthy on the inside. Curbed wheels. People have no respect for these loaner cars. I found a Starbucks pastry bag in the storage bin.
* Had that dank rental car/airplane cabin smell.
* Tabs that were four months expired

My butt was happy to be back in the plush seats of the 3.

Also had a P85D loaner and the 3 is definitely more fun and nimble to drive. Mine had 21" wheels which I imagine is the main cause for the poorer ride quality. Really liked the extra screen as well but the center one seemed to look very low quality and contrast compared to the 3. I did prefer the S seats though.

I had bad experience with 2014 model S as a loaner. A lot of pets hair and my son got allergy right away. Car has very bad smells and so disgusting. Other car has big patches on tire side wall. That is so dangerous. Someone has to tweet to Elon Musk to get rid off old loaners.

There was a dog in this one too... lol

Careful what you wish for. My local SC isn't keeping a fleet of loaners; they offer to reimburse you up to a certain dollar amount of Uber/Lyft rides.

Finger on the monkey's paw slowly curls...

They tried to offer uber credits to me too... I drive to peoples homes for inspections, meet builders on new construction sites... no way Uber would work. The Enterprise down the street rents Model S too. Seems like the car I got is their “go to” loaner.

Maybe all the loaners you guys got here were particularly bad/not taken care of.

I find all these comparisons a bit strange. I've been on test drives with a new 3 and a new S and the S left me with a way higher quality impression overall. I couldn't believe how much more cabin and road noise the 3 had and how much harsher the ride was. These two alone are enough for me to hunt for a used S (non-P) instead of a new 3.

Maybe because most of you got the P version of the S contributed to the poor experience. Most likely those have a bit more sporty suspension so it probably wasn't so comfortable.

I've had 4 different loaners over my 1 year of ownership. I live 2 hrs from SC. I will preface that I'm appreciated of having a Tesla vehicle as a loaner vs any gas car despite them not being in great shape(except for the bald tires). Here are the issues:

1. They have all been filthy. Like they haven't been cleaned in many many months. It is not a good impression and while I understand it is most likely because of time constraints I hope it changes. Anyway, I can't stand being in a filthy car so I always clean them inside and out. So whomever is the next person to get that vehicle ---you are welcome.

2. They all feel very loose and kinda like they are not put together very well. This may be because they have been ragged on. But the driving dynamics of my 3 are far superior. I noticed the same thing with better sound isolation but inability to absorb bumps like the 3. Now I'm sure this may be different with a newer car especially Raven but not the loaners I've had.

3 I just recently had a X P90D. Whoa, way to fast. The suspension on it seemed like it was totally shot so it made the speed seem really really scary. I drove it home and it immediately got screw in front tire. Brought it to Discount Tire the following morning and they couldn't repair because the inside of the tire was completely bald. So I drive it back to SC and they give me another X 90D.

4. I take the X 90D back home. Suspension feels better than the last one. I didn't check the tires there because I figured there was no way they had 2 cars with bald tires. Sure enough this model X had the 22s and the passenger side rear was completely bald. 3/4 of the tread was at 0 tread. I had it for like 10 days. It felt fine but I didn't push it.

I guess they aren't concerned about liability issues but they should be. Anyway, psa to check your loaner tires before leaving. So glad to get my 3 back....jeez the steering and suspension just feels like I'm on rails....i just hope it doesn't feel like it is falling apart in a few years like the loaners I've had.

Reactions: bhzmark

As an aside, the 2014 P85D would have likely had the firmest suspension ever put on a Model S. Some people refer to it as the "plus" suspension (although, in my experience, it was firmer still than my P85+). Definitely rougher over bumpier surfaces.

I just made this thread:

Service center loaned me a 75D...I love it

The same just happened to me, but I got a newer 75D with 8k miles on it.

I like the size of the S more. It feels special. But I agree with all your points.

The S is quicker. The 3 interior and screen is better. I had the gauge cluster in the S. The 3 Steering is better, but I felt the S a little smoother, probably cause of the air suspension. The 3 has a quieter interior, the 3 headlights are better.

The S is starting to feel a little outdated compared to the 3, but I do enjoy driving the S....a lot actually. Im suprised.

Reactions: bhzmark and VRUNNER
We just had a S 70D as a loaner. Kind of slow for us. We got the last loaner they had, luckily. The condition was fine, but it only had 44 rated miles left in the battery. No problem since we are local. We filled charged it up at home. Days later when we took it back to pick up our 3, it sat in the parking spot all of 10-15 minutes before it was given to another customer. I don't think the SC even looked at it. So if it's in poor condition when you get it, thank the previous drivers and no frequent cleaning by Tesla.

I've had 4 different loaners over my 1 year of ownership. I live 2 hrs from SC. I will preface that I'm appreciated of having a Tesla vehicle as a loaner vs any gas car despite them not being in great shape(except for the bald tires). Here are the issues:

1. They have all been filthy. Like they haven't been cleaned in many many months. It is not a good impression and while I understand it is most likely because of time constraints I hope it changes. Anyway, I can't stand being in a filthy car so I always clean them inside and out. So whomever is the next person to get that vehicle ---you are welcome.

2. They all feel very loose and kinda like they are not put together very well. This may be because they have been ragged on. But the driving dynamics of my 3 are far superior. I noticed the same thing with better sound isolation but inability to absorb bumps like the 3. Now I'm sure this may be different with a newer car especially Raven but not the loaners I've had.

3 I just recently had a X P90D. Whoa, way to fast. The suspension on it seemed like it was totally shot so it made the speed seem really really scary. I drove it home and it immediately got screw in front tire. Brought it to Discount Tire the following morning and they couldn't repair because the inside of the tire was completely bald. So I drive it back to SC and they give me another X 90D.

4. I take the X 90D back home. Suspension feels better than the last one. I didn't check the tires there because I figured there was no way they had 2 cars with bald tires. Sure enough this model X had the 22s and the passenger side rear was completely bald. 3/4 of the tread was at 0 tread. I had it for like 10 days. It felt fine but I didn't push it.

I guess they aren't concerned about liability issues but they should be. Anyway, psa to check your loaner tires before leaving. So glad to get my 3 back....jeez the steering and suspension just feels like I'm on rails....i just hope it doesn't feel like it is falling apart in a few years like the loaners I've had.

On point for #1, first stop was the car wash, it was really bad... I joked with them when I dropped it off, told them I had it washed. Guy was like you didn’t have to do that! I said I absolutely had too! No way can I roll in a car, especially a Tesla looking like that!!

Same with the bald tires too... back tires were 1/16”... it rained hard yesterday, I was on the Parkway doing about 65 and the back end felt weird, now I know why, scary stuff.