Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of june 2022 Shanghai MY LR with November 2022 Berlin MY SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is November 2022 - since delivery in June I have driven over 15,000km in my Shanghai built model Y LR, mainly on very long trips across Europe. I love the car, I've been driving Tesla's on and off since 2015, this is my first experience as an owner - the car has no faults as far as I can tell. Furthermore I have found that the charging stops on long trips are so short and infrequent that I don't have enough time for my own restroom / restaurant needs - I need to stop more often than the car does.

I opted for the improved autopilot for an extra 3800€ and white seats added another 1190€. My car would cost 71,330€ today.

I am taking delivery of a second model Y at the end of this month - it's an SR which I assume will be from Berlin and I believe should have the BYD blade LFP structural battery pack. Thanks to a 2000€ french government subsidy and not adding autopilot or white seats this new car will cost me 47,990€ - a massive 23,330€ less than my current car.

I intend to compare the two cars side by side - driving in convoy on a series of both short and long trips. The declared range of my current LR is 533km and the new SR will be 455km. I have bought the Scan my Tesla app and the ODBLinkMX+ to collect detailed data (am currently battling with the trim to fit the OBDLink).

My main question is how will the two cars compare on longer road trips? Tesla recommend that the SR's LFP battery be routinely charged to 100% and that the LR's NMC battery be routinely charged to 80%. If this advice is followed, the SR range is 455km and the LR range falls to 533x80% = 426km. As my own needs for restroom stops already exceed the charging regime of the LR is it possible that the much cheaper model Y SR will be just as good for me on long trips?

Is anyone else interested in this comparison exercise? I'm new to the forum and don't have any prior experience of car testing or comparing Tesla Model Y's from different builds, I'm guessing that there will be a lot of other subtle differences between the two cars and anyone who would like to suggest areas for comparison - for example suspension, accessories, trim levels etc., is welcome. I've even tried to get in touch with Bjorn Nyland to see if he'd be interested in this exercise, but so far no response - I doubt he has seen my messages on YouTube or Twitter. (If you know how to contact him please give him a nudge).

Looking forward to reading your responses, it would be nice to hear from you.

Where did you get the info that your MYLR should only be charged to 80%? I'm under the impression the ONLY risk of regularly charging the NMC to 100% occurs if the battery is left at 100% for long periods of time, w/o using the upper 20% of the capacity. Doing this on a regular basis might speed up the degradation of the battery.

Others here on this forum will add their thoughts, especially those that routinely charge to 100% and USE that extra 20% capacity within a day or two. (I've charged to 100% more than 25 times in the 35k miles I've owned my car, and have lost about 5% capacity, which is well within expected degradation.)

Looking forward to your upcoming comparison of the SR and the (slightly older) LR.

Reactions: SeanG
The maximum charging rate for Level 2 and when Supercharging is higher in the LRMY than the SRMY. The larger capacity battery in the LRMY can handle higher charging rates. For daily use most LRMY owners charge to between 50% and 90%. This is the daily charge setting range displayed in the Tesla app. The SRMY battery should be regularly, i.e. at least weekly, charged to 100%.

Whether traveling in a LRMY or SRMY you would make much better time on the trip by only charging to 80% when charging at a Supercharger. Charging above 80% takes more time. You would be better served by adding one or two more brief charging stops (up to no more than 80%) unless you plan to stop for a longer period such a sit down meal.

Reactions: Redekw and SeanG
Where did you get the info that your new car would be Berlin/BYD?

Have you got a VIN yet to confirm Berlin?

Thanks
I didn't have any information, it was just wishful thinking based on online rumours. As it happens I was offered delivery of a Shanghai built SR right now but due to garaging issues at home I've decided to put it off until next quarter - Q1 2023. It looks like the car delivered next year will also be from Shanghai with the CATL battery, the Berlin BYD rumour is just that, a rumour. One thing that still intrigues me is if you explore the Tesla pages for Germany the SR has a range of 430km, whereas the page for France shows the SR range as 455km..... those two numbers could be the ranges for the BYD and CATL battery packs.

I didn't have any information, it was just wishful thinking based on online rumours. As it happens I was offered delivery of a Shanghai built SR right now but due to garaging issues at home I've decided to put it off until next quarter - Q1 2023. It looks like the car delivered next year will also be from Shanghai with the CATL battery, the Berlin BYD rumour is just that, a rumour. One thing that still intrigues me is if you explore the Tesla pages for Germany the SR has a range of 430km, whereas the page for France shows the SR range as 455km..... those two numbers could be the ranges for the BYD and CATL battery packs.

That's because the Germany website is showing the default SR with upgrade alloys, which reduces the WLTP range from 455km to 430km.

That's because the Germany website is showing the default SR with upgrade alloys, which reduces the WLTP range from 455km to 430km.
Thank you for explaining that to me, it makes perfect sense. Clearly I was looking for any excuse at all to believe the rumours! I will get the SR in March now, probably when the next batch arrive from Shanghai, and I'll try to do a useful comparison with the LR - at least the wheels on each car should be the same!

Here is some Data from one of the very first Berlin made Model Y RWD with BYD Blade battery pack:

Screenshot_20230514-195850(1)

These cars now come with 3D6 Performance motors, but someone in France spotted one with a 3D7 base motor as well. Probably soon upgraded to 4D1 motors allround. Claimed power is only 220kW, but pretty certain these will do 255kW with the 3D6 and 4D1 motors.

Many thanks for your comment on my post! I am still waiting to get my SR and still driving my LR, with the same plan as always. Your news that SR's are being made at Berlin - finally! - is interesting, are they being shipped around Europe? do you have any other information?