Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of Model 3 Performance w/ Two Versions of MPP Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I hear you on this one! Been there and done that!

Here's what I found as a solution. Jack the car up very carefully using the jack point but without the usual hockey puck contraption in the Jack hole. Then, if the suspension is fully extended it will not collapse all the way to its normal ride height if you lower it very slowly, and you have an extra inch or so in which you can now insert the lift assist hockey puck. I've had to do this 2-stage jacking procedure on my car for the last year.

PS take a picture of the top of the column and post here. I'm curious to what you have for front isolators. Do you have the composite top piece, the aluminum top piece, or the old helper springs?

Backing the car up onto some "scrap" wood (Jatoba --> Brazilian Cherry) was enough to get the jack and puck barely in place. Here are the requested pictures. This one setting seems to be in the right place after watching Sasha's adjustment video.

IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0889.JPG

Backing the car up onto some "scrap" wood (Jatoba --> Brazilian Cherry) was enough to get the jack and puck barely in place. Here are the requested pictures. This one setting seems to be in the right place after watching Sasha's adjustment video.

View attachment 595318 View attachment 595319 View attachment 595320

Thanks for posting that. I don't recognize that top rubber piece. It's bigger than the stock isolator from the front of the car. I wonder if your installer might have taken one of the isolators from the rear suspension and repurposed it?

Thanks for the insight. You make a good point the only thing you can’t change is spring rate. So the real question is...can the dampening on both versions compensate for the spring rate? I am assuming we need to decide which spring rate matches our lifestyle more and the shocks will take care of the rest.
You can't compensate spring rates by damper.

Just a reminder - spring resists compression, damper resists speed of movement. Harder springs make car respond faster. Fast compression (bumps) relieved by a valve that can't be adjusted with 2-way dampers. Slow speed movement dampened by a damper with separate controls of up/down. There are also tire pressure and volume influences damping. And certainly anti-sway bars function as a spring force modifier to make axle less independent.

MPP Sport springs are close to the limit of what makes sense to use on the street. With harder springs at some point rough roads going to have very poor traction, because chassis will be moving too much. For every particular road and driver there will be ideal spring rates. Choosing good averages is an art.

Reactions: bcpm3p
I love my hybrids. Have two sets.

One on wife’s car set to 14C 11R - White
Battery clearance 109
245-19 Conti DSW6

The other is mine set to 11C 10R - Red
Battery clearance 102
265-19 PS4S
UPP sways
MPP rear camber and toe

These two cars feel different to me
The red car feels tighter and sportier
The white more comfortable and plush

I tried going softer with the rebound also on the white car but it felt too floaty. Like it was under dampened for the spring rate. Did not feel very controlled at all

Honestly I might go a bit tighter on the red one because I enjoy the sportiness.

I love my hybrids. Have two sets.

One on wife’s car set to 14C 11R - White
Battery clearance 109
245-19 Conti DSW6

The other is mine set to 11C 10R - Red
Battery clearance 102
265-19 PS4S
UPP sways
MPP rear camber and toe

These two cars feel different to me
The red car feels tighter and sportier
The white more comfortable and plush

I tried going softer with the rebound also on the white car but it felt too floaty. Like it was under dampened for the spring rate. Did not feel very controlled at all

Honestly I might go a bit tighter on the red one because I enjoy the sportiness.

I love it! Rebound damping is a big factor in how controlled the car feels. You definitely want as much damping force as you can get away with without degradation in ride quality. Thank you for your support and we are proud to have parts on both of your cars!

Reactions: bcpm3p
I love it! Rebound damping is a big factor in how controlled the car feels. You definitely want as much damping force as you can get away with without degradation in ride quality. Thank you for your support and we are proud to have parts on both of your cars!

Had a chance to spend a good bit of time with both cars, and changing back and forth several times in a day allowed me to have some clearer impressions. Made sure that the tire pressures were equalized. Here are some clear impressions:

1) although my wife's car always felt a little bit more plush compared to mine, (remember my shocks are set really firm at 10/8), but I never really preferred its ride to the ride of my own car. Now when I get out of my car and into my wife's car I actually really prefer its ride over mine. It's got a kind of softness and again for lack of a better term a kind of 'liquid' quality to the ride where there's a sensation of a bit more compliance at the same time there is no more float or no sensation of floatiness. It's an amazing riding car. The softer rear springs I think are really making a big difference. My rear springs are pretty stiff.

2) my car is significantly flatter in the corners, and the larger front tire (I've got 265 / 30 versus the stock 235/35 on her car) means that there's really no sensation of understeer even at the limit. Her car understeers at the limit although not terribly.

3) around town I have to say I prefer her car over mine. This is surprising. On the highway it's a toss-up.

The adjustable coilovers really are something. For folks who are not going to track their car I think this is the finest suspension option for the Model 3.

20201018_124440.jpg
This is fantastic, thank you so much for this comparison! Up until now we were likely the only people to have driven both back to back, and who is going to listen to us when we describe our own products :p

Her car might look a bit better than yours, you might need to go a tad lower to stand a chance!

My wife's car has now had its final ride height adjustment.

Overall both kits turned out to be ideal for their intended audiences so to speak.

Happiness is His and Hers MPP dual Motor Performance Teslas. No arguing about ride versus handling, and no fighting over who gets the crappy ICE vehicle.

View attachment 599746

Overall both kits turned out to be ideal for their intended audiences so to speak.

Happiness is His and Hers MPP dual Motor Performance Teslas. No arguing about ride versus handling, and no fighting over who gets the crappy ICE vehicle.

Looking good! Now, clean/clear out that garage and get those two beauties inside and out from the weather!! :D

Looking good! Now, clean/clear out that garage and get those two beauties inside and out from the weather!! :D

If we were staying in the Arctic Wasteland of New England for the winter that would be an excellent suggestion. Fortunately we have better options. In another week we head to Florida for the entire winter. Both cars are garaged and never see salt. If we continue to be fortunate both cars will never see a winter day. We feel that would be sacrilegious.

View attachment 599746

His and Hers M3P's is a dream come true!

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt
So bringing this back up from the dead, some time has passed and wondering what your thoughts are on the two kits now? Very hard to decide for a fun daily driver.
For most folks I would probably recommend the Comfort Adjustable kit. It just has a bigger range in a sense from pretty supple to pretty firm. The sport kit on the other hand if you like a really firm ride to begin with might be a better choice and of course it's the much better choice if you ever plan on tracking your car because you will get an additional degree of roll stiffness just from the springs and of course shocks contribute to that as well in an under-appreciated way. You can't go wrong with either one and you can set either kit up to be pretty comfortable. And of course either way you get mountain pass' great customer service and tech support.

Basically, if I ask you what your last car was and you tell me a Porsche 911, I am going to recommend the Sports kit ;)

How about coming from a 2018 Audi S4 (B9) lowered on KW HAS springs? 😁 I owned a 2016 BMW M3 (F80) lowered on Swift Spec-R springs before the S4, and I found that car to be a tad bit too stiff for daily driving. The Audi ride quality (even lowered), was perfect for me.

I'm leaning towards the Comfort Adjustable coilovers as the M3P is more a daily driver/commuter with some fun canyon driving here and there (no track days).

Reactions: SQ97
Absolutely amazing write up!

We are expecting our model 3 RWD Mid May. I am already thinking about suspension and wheel set up.

It appears that you got the rear camber arms for the sport coil overs, but not the comfort coli overs, correct? Are you experiencing significant interior wear on the rear tires on your wife's model 3?

Again awesome summary!

Reactions: Theraven
Absolutely amazing write up!

We are expecting our model 3 RWD Mid May. I am already thinking about suspension and wheel set up.

It appears that you got the rear camber arms for the sport coil overs, but not the comfort coli overs, correct? Are you experiencing significant interior wear on the rear tires on your wife's model 3?

Again awesome summary!
The camber on my wife's car was initially really good after dropping car about an inch and a half but then over time possibly because of Road impacts camber started to go out of spec (a little too negative on one side) so we ended up getting the rear camber arms for her car as well.

Thank you for your feedback! I pick my car up tomorrow so I will have a better idea on which direction to go. Can’t wait!
Like I said you can't go wrong with either kit. I think you'll love the way the car handles and looks. The final piece de resistance for sure is the lower front control arm bushing which you should have installed with the coilovers because it's not much extra work if you got the front suspension apart and it really improves steering feel. The steering loses a certain rubbery vagueness that it had stock, and as Jesse at Mountain Pass says it becomes almost telepathic. It becomes very linear and it's easy to tell how hard the front tire patches are working

Last edited: