Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of NEMA 6-20 Outlet Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured I would do a quick write up on the NEMA 6-20 outlets I purchased as there is a major difference in quality. Many of us know that when purchasing a NEMA 14-50 outlet, you should ONLY use a Hubbell 9450A as the quality is vastly superior to any other brand. I decided to test this theory for the NEMA 6-20 outlets as well as there was a Leviton installed at my parents house. The 6-20 outlet only requires 12-2 ROMEX wire and will provide adequate charging for most peoples needs (250V, 16 amps, ~16 mph).

Both the Hubbell and Leviton are listed as "heavy duty industrial spec" grade. However, the quality seems night and day difference just like the 14-50 outlets. The Hubbell outlet is 41% heavier, most likely due to the full brass strap and larger, more robust build. I originally thought the Leviton seemed like a pretty good quality outlet until I purchased and felt the Hubbell branded one.

I am constantly reading on here about people skimping on their home charger installs after purchasing a $50,000+ car. You cannot buy a quality, long term EV charging solution outlet at your local big box store, regardless of what the packaging says. I personally have the Tesla Wall Connector at my house as it provides the fastest and safest charging speeds available and I did not have a spare 250V outlet in my garage that could've been reused/rewired. Even though I will only be using this NEMA 6-20 outlet for charging at my parents house, I did not want to risk any issues by skimping on the outlet quality. I have no doubt the Hubbell outlet will last for a long time for simply $10-$15 more.

TLDR: Don't be cheap. Buy a Hubbell industrial grade outlet.

Links:
Hubbell 5461W (5461 = model #, W = color white)
Leviton 5461W (5461 = model #, W = color white)

Cost:
Hubbell $30-$35 (color dependent)
Leviton $20

Weight:
Hubbell 3.10oz (41% heavier)
Leviton 2.20oz

IMG-6995.jpg

IMG-6996.jpg

IMG-6997.jpg

IMG-6998.jpg

IMG-7001.jpg

IMG-7003.jpg

I think that's a bit unfair to say Hubbell is the one and only. Cooper and Bryant have very similar extremely high quality to the Hubbell ones. It's only the Leviton ones that are vastly inferior to those others.
I'm skeptical Cooper is of the same quality as Hubbell. Their Pass & Seymour brand is mildly a step above Leviton and the price shows that as well. I thought the 14-50 thread below showed that Cooper and Leviton were crap:

Bryant is owned by Hubbell so it's effectively the same product with different branding.

Last edited: