TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Comparison of Tesla Powerwall and other Li Ion batteries

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Utahken, Aug 17, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2 ecarfan, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    From the article, quote: "The other day, some other curious people and I ran numbers comparing the per-kWh price of the Tesla Powerwall & what I’m going to call Powerblocks (the utility-scale battery options described on the bottom of this page"

Throughout the article the author calls the Tesla Powerpack the "Powerblock". How odd.

That aside, the author's analysis shows just how much less expensive the Powerwall is per kWh than the competitive products he chose to analyze (no doubt there are other products he did not analyze).

2. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

For your own install, did you research other battery storage solutions or was buying Tesla a matter of principle?

3. Aussie

Aussie Member

The price comparison is rubbish. Firstly, the Tesla assumptions are wrong. Getting 5000 cylces out of a Powerwall with an average of 5.8 kWh per cycle is an illusion. Looking at the old Tesla warranty you can see that after just 1.7 years the Powerwall is down to 5.4kWh. And 5000 cylces out of the Panasonics is not going to happen in real life for an outdoor mounted unit. The other batteries researched in the article are so rare, that they play no role for a consumer at all.
    I would be interested in those test results from the first link however. Will be interesting to see how those units all perform over time.